PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-12-2014, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build

This weird looking plane, as designed by Aaron, is, according to Aaron's instruction sheet, a two-seat fighter, designed by Maurice Delanne and built by the Arsenal de L'areronautique. It was of so-called Nenadovich biplane or Tandem wing configuration. The fighter was of all metal stressed-skin construction, which used a sandwich tenhnique, with a smooth dural skin welded to a corrugated sheet. Pilot and gunner sat in tandem under a single canopy at the rear of the fuselage, which was level with the rear wing, which carried twin tailplanes. This arrangement gave the gunner a clear field of fire for his planned armament of two 7.5 mm machine guns, which was to be supplemented by a 20mm cannon firing through the propellor hub and two more machine guns in the wing.

Okay, so much for this history. The original scale of the model should be 1:38.5 or rounded up to 1:39 and that that I'm building is reduced to 70%, meaning 1:55. It still measures some 13.3 cm in length compared to its original length of 19 cm (7.5 inches). Just finished the fuselage but the canopy part is very tricky. Aaron's advice is needed to overcome the problem as given in the attached pic. Wonder if he would settle for Position C in the pic or go back to his drawing board to adjust the canopy part, the last segment of which is the main problem. I'm not too happy with the Position C itself as the end of the canopy should run somewhat parallel to the end of the fuselage and not slanted. Should I move on or just wait here?

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2216a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Psition C is closer to reality whn it comes to the bottom. See the pic of the real plane at the bottom of this page or the 5-view plan on this forum page (3rd pic of 1st post).

ETA: bigger version of that pic here.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Interesting shape

Looking forward to seeing this build progress

Tim
Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Thank you Carlos for your info and Tim for your interest.

I have done two more mock copies of the rear part of the main fuselage. Think I have
now done six of them so far - you know, beta building is no wishy washy.

The photos are self-explanatory. I think that the perfect fix to the problem will be
creating some sort of former for the end of the main fuselage part to accept the aft
fuselage part. Not only is it easier to build, glue, whatever, but the result is expected
to be far better.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2219.jpg   OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2220.jpg   OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2221.jpg   OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2217.jpg   OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2218.jpg  

OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2222.jpg   OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2223.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating! I am enjoying your narrative of this build of a most interesting airplane.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
One problem I see is that you have quite a bit of overhang on that last piece of the rear end. As designed, all the pieces are supposed to be flush and form a flat edge.
OBP Arsenal-Delanne 10C-2 Beta Build-dscn2218.jpg

One solution might be to separate that last piece and try to glue it on flush.
Even though I tried really hard to get the parts lined up right, it could also have come out reversed in the unrolling process. Rhino really hates parts that come to a point, and unrolling them takes a large amount of luck for them to come out right.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
One thing is for sure papermate, you /will be the expert on build this aircraft once you get this tail end of the fuselage figured out. Great job, I'm pulling for you.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
One problem I see is that you have quite a bit of overhang on that last piece of the rear end. As designed, all the pieces are supposed to be flush and form a flat edge.
Attachment 204077

One solution might be to separate that last piece and try to glue it on flush.
Even though I tried really hard to get the parts lined up right, it could also have come out reversed in the unrolling process. Rhino really hates parts that come to a point, and unrolling them takes a large amount of luck for them to come out right.
Could it be that the lowest part has been glued the wrong way?
when I look at the edge of the grey section compared to the drawing, it does not seem to correspond.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very observant, Bruno, I think you have a point. That wedge shaped piece is also not uniformly shaped - the left side in the photos is almost vertical, and the right side has an angle to it. If the piece was placed the other way around, it would raise the entire rear assembly upward.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
So a suggestion would be to chop off that bottom piece and experiment with different ways of attaching it. I'll draw up a sheet of those experiments and send it to you.
Google Adsense