PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadoc View Post
A little more Photoshop work before starting the build: a change to the exit hole for the control cables in the wing. As you can see from the second photo, the cables exit through three small holes, not the large square one on the model. So I airbrushed the large hole white and added the three small holes. As an added bonus, the wing section prints better. Before, the upper edge was very slightly cut off, now with this version, the lower edge is cut off, and since it is a glue flap, it doesn't matter. First cuts soon, as soon as I am sure there is nothing else I want to modify.

PS: Does anyone know of a reasonably detailed kit with a nine cylinder engine that could pass for a Trimotor engine if scanned three times?
Interesting detail. I haven't noticed it.
Probably if I had been aware of that before I would have included the dots instead of the square hole. But anyways you corrected it right. And I guess that's part of the fun of this kit: you can manipulate it easily

Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
[QUOTE=alfadoc;283378]A little more Photoshop work before starting the build: a change to the exit hole for the control cables in the wing. As you can see from the second photo, the cables exit through three small holes, not the large square one on the model. So I airbrushed the large hole white and added the three small holes. As an added bonus, the wing section prints better. Before, the upper edge was very slightly cut off, now with this version, the lower edge is cut off, and since it is a glue flap, it doesn't matter. First cuts soon, as soon as I am sure there is nothing else I want to modify.

Can you explain how you import the file into Photoshop and reexport without loosing detail? Also, perhaps you might consider uploading the corrections you have made for future reference.

Your model should look rather fantastic!

Finally, this is not sacrilege to suggest that you substitute plastic engines for the paper ones. If you are interested, I'll check around for a kit in the same scale.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ruben: It is quite nice to be able to manipulate the art so easily. You did so much, it is understandable that a couple of minor details slipped through. I'm actually having fun making the corrections!

cdavenport: Adobe has released a free beta of Photoshop CS6, so I'm using that, but I would think previous versions work the same. After I open and manipulate the file, I go to File>Save As (I'm on a Mac), and choose Photoshop PDF as the file format. It seems to save it perfectly.
I'll upload the changed file as soon as I figured out how to.
I thought about plastic, but buying three kits just for the engine is probably beyond my budget. The Wasp from the BeeGee is almost exactly what I was thinking of. I may go plastic on the exhaust though.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadoc View Post
Ruben: It is quite nice to be able to manipulate the art so easily. You did so much, it is understandable that a couple of minor details slipped through. I'm actually having fun making the corrections!

cdavenport: Adobe has released a free beta of Photoshop CS6, so I'm using that, but I would think previous versions work the same. After I open and manipulate the file, I go to File>Save As (I'm on a Mac), and choose Photoshop PDF as the file format. It seems to save it perfectly.
I'll upload the changed file as soon as I figured out how to.
I thought about plastic, but buying three kits just for the engine is probably beyond my budget. The Wasp from the BeeGee is almost exactly what I was thinking of. I may go plastic on the exhaust though.

Thanks for the info; I'll give it a try with one of the models.

On the topic of the engines, I did some checking for you and, lamentably, the cost for replacing the engines in plastic would be unnecessarily high. There are two kits available in the requisite scale and only one, Williams Bros, would be worth the effort to buy. The engine on the Lindberg kit is less detailed than the paper version! Since it is out of production, you would have to make a cast of the engine and make resin replacements. The only other option is buying a $22 kit for the engine from Engines and Things.

I couldn't find any references for plastic models in 1/32 scale that used the 9 cyl Wasp Jr., most notably the Boeing Stearman and Vultee Bt-13.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I don't know much about the engines on various planes, or if this will work out properly, but after seeing mention of a Wasp engine, I remembered that the GeeBee used a Wasp engine, and the free 1:33 GreMir GeeBee R1 includes a nicely detailed engine. Maybe it will work as is, maybe with slight modification, but it should be a good start. And the price is right, and you can simply copy/paste the parts three times!

GeeBee R1
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
I don't know much about the engines on various planes, or if this will work out properly, but after seeing mention of a Wasp engine, I remembered that the GeeBee used a Wasp engine, and the free 1:33 GreMir GeeBee R1 includes a nicely detailed engine. Maybe it will work as is, maybe with slight modification, but it should be a good start. And the price is right, and you can simply copy/paste the parts three times!

GeeBee R1
Wow! I'm heading there! Thanks, CMags!