PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fuselage Follies

Thanks for the encouraging advice, Jim. The windows are tough, but with each one I do, I get just a little better at burnishing the inside of the window and the cabin area just above the window to make the seam a little less noticeable.

I haven’t had much time to work on the Otter because I was engaged with running the on-line forum on course of action development (Joint Operation Planning Process, Step 3), grading student papers, an Asia Regional Studies seminar, preparation for my lecture on the Battle of Pork Chop Hill, which I give 5 hours from now, and a weekend visit by children and grandchildren (including a visit to the Army Heritage and Education Center, where the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event will take place next month (2012 Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days).

But I have made a little progress. Image 1 shows a practice cabin section being test fitted to the rest of the fuselage.

Image 2 shows the training practice cabin next to the “fire-for-record” cabin part cut out (the box of failed Otter parts in the background is beginning to look like Guido Van Roy’s diorama of the Beaver Graveyard http://www.dgapapermodels.com/Custom...x/GVR%201a.jpg).

Image 3 shows how I used a spare sheet to cut out the tabs.

Image 4 shows the cabin ready to be attached to the rest of the fuselage.

Image 5 shows the fuselage assembled (with the stuff in the background that is keeping me from Otter construction).

Image 6 shows that there are no significant gaps in the fuselage, but also reveals shortcomings in my craftsmanship: slight wrinkles and dents where the fuselage sections come together. Once I finish this one, I intend to build more Otters, including Serial 55-3257, 55-3327 of the 18th Aviation Company, and one of the last military Otters still flying, the Navy version at Patuxent River. Eventually, I should be able to produce a smooth fuselage.

And later this week, I hope to get the empennage, wings, and cowling on this one.

Don

The lead truck hit a mine about a quarter to four
But that was nothing new because it’s happened before
We don’t have a diner
But nothing could be finer
Than to eat your rice and nuoc mam from your helmet liner.
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_001.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_002.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_003.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_004.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_005.jpg  

Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_6_006.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Don!
Your fuselage is looking very nice indeed! I am looking forward to seeing the model completed.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Don, the build is looking good!
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looking very good, Don.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Fine fuselage Don. I'm learning this model by your build for my own endeavour.

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up

Ahoy Don
Looking great don youhave a lot of those otters looks like a production line LOLlllllllllll Hardy well done my man, cant waite to see the finished product i might take a crack at one of those.

boats
Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Progress is looking great Don.

Sounds like you're awful busy, don't forget to take time to "smell the roses".

Mike
Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Don I've build one of this for my daughter in the Christmas version but I wasn't near of shape of yours.
Great work!!!
Alcides
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Interim Report

I have had to put this and all other builds on hold temporarily to deal with a number of tasks and deadlines that have piled up on me. I have to get grades for two courses in, my favorite on-line forum (Strategy of the 1941-45 Pacific War) is fully underway and is a full-time job in itself, a book chapter and a book review are due and, with the best will in the world, there simply hasn't been time to work on the Otter. This also means that it won't be completed in time for Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days, which takes place next weekend, but Rick Steffers (Rickstef), Kevin Stephens, Mike Scalingi (bomarc), John Glessner (DrLaser), Gil Benson (Paper Model Guy), and Karl Warner will all have models on the table and I will trot out the Horrible Hampden and the other usual subjects.

By the week after next, I should be able to get back to work on the Otter.

Meanwhile, many thanks to all the friends who have dropped by and made kind comments.

Also, my February Perspectives in Military History lecture is now posted at the USAHEC Media Gallery: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) (scroll down to "Over the Beach").

The little kerfuffle at the beginning of the lecture was caused by the slides getting one ahead (you can't see this because the slides don't show up in the video until I am well into the lecture). When I rehearsed the lecture, Mary, the audio-visual tech at USAHEC said that if anything went wrong, she would start crying and distract the audience until I could sort it out. That's why, when the wrong slide comes up, I say, "Mary! Start crying!"

And with regard to the Otter (and the Carden-Loyd tankette and ll the other WIPs): as one famous Pacific commander once said, I shall return!

Don
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Resuming Construction

After a VERY long delay, I have resumed work on the Otter. Since the last posting, I taught courses on theater strategy and campaign planning; taught my on-line elective on Pacific War Strategy 1941-45; worked on the book (Ashgate Research Companion to the Korean War) that I am co-editing; developed and taught a graduate seminar on the Pacific War; taught the summer resident courses, including leading my seminars on the Antietam and Gettysburg Staff Rides); and graduated another U.S. Army War College Seminar. Image 1, below, shows me (to the left of the muzzle of the Confederate Napoleon gun-howitzer) about to lead Seminar 12 on the route of Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg (the woman to the right of the gun is the seminar chair, an Army colonel who is the Inspector General of the U.S. Army Pacific in Hawaii and a dynamite banjo player).

I find that my paper modeling skills have gotten very rusty over the past few months, so the quality of the work ain’t great. But I have made a little progress on the empennage and cowling, as shown below.

More soon, I hope. Thanks to Jim Gausman for your patience as this build proceeds with infinite slowness.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_001_sem12_gettysburg_120720.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_002.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_003.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_004.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_005.jpg  

Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_006.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_007.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_008.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_009.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_010.jpg  

Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_7_011.jpg  
Google Adsense