PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter

A couple of year’s ago, Jim Gausman designed a DGA [http://dgapapermodels.com] model of the DeHavilland Canada DHC-3 Otter.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/kit-announcements/7513-dhc-3-otter-model-released.html

I played a small role in putting him in touch with Army Aviation and Transportation Corps museum officials and veterans who flew Otters in Vietnam. I started to build the model, but failed to complete it.

Fortunately, Kevin Stephens and Mike Scalingi built superb renditions of the Otter, so that Jim’s model could debut at Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days in 2010.
DGA Army U-1A Otter
Part II: DGA Army U-1A Otter
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA

Last month, Jim contacted me and asked if I would try to build his latest version of the Otter, Tail Number O-53277, which flew as “Big Daddy 77” with the 54th Utility Airplane Company flying out of Vung Tau in Vietnam in 1969 as part of the 210th Combat Aviation Battalion, headquartered in Long Thanh and operating in the III and IV Corps Tactical Zones. This article includes a color image of a sister ship that shows the markings: http://www.1stavnbde.com/Artcles/54art1.html

Even though I have a lot of unfinished paper model projects underway, and this is a particularly busy period, I thought I otter do it.

So I printed the model out on Borden and Riley #237 Paris Bleedproof paper cut to A4 size and sprayed the sheets with UV Resistant Krylon.

Image 1, below, shows the parts. Jim provides an excellent set of photo instructions to guide the build.

Image 2 shows one of my few deviations from the instructions. I cut out extra copies of the fuselage formers to strengthen them. I also cut out an undersized propeller to serve as an inner layer that would allow me to squeeze the edges together and form an airfoil shape.

Image 3: One other deviation. I cut out the joining strips.

Images 4 and 5: Cutting out and layering the wheel parts.

Images 6, 7, and 8 show the prop under construction. Jim has made sure that one of the copyright notices and the scaling strip are exactly the right size to be cut out to form the prop hub and bushing. I inserted pieces of floral wire to give additional dimension. It didn’t work: the outline of the wires show, so I will be building a new prop (I’m trying to figure out how Kevin and Mike built their props so realistically).

Incidentally, I am using Thomas Meek's outstanding cutting board, which contains an inset rotating disk to facilitate cutting curves.

Image 9: The rear fuselage section under construction. The use of a clip to hold the forceps closed is a Golden Bear technique.

Image 10: So far, so good. However . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_001.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_002.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_003.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_004.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_005.jpg  

Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_006.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_007.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_008.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_009.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_010.jpg  

Last edited by Texman; 08-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM

You gotta stay focused!

You gotta stay focused!

After starting the build, I entered into a really busy period at work – grading papers, reviewing student theses, trying to get two courses underway simultaneously while also running a seminar in the Asia-Pacific Regional Studies elective, and preparing and giving my annual lecture on warfare in ancient Asia.

I tried to squeeze a little model building time in before leaving for work in the mornings (when I got home after dark each night, I was too hammered to cut, score, fold, and glue). Apparently I wasn’t focusing closely enough on what I was doing because this evening I discovered that I had inserted the last fuselage former upside down.

I have now printed out another copy of the model and after the Easter weekend, when I will be busy with the grandsons, I will start over, still hoping to have Big Daddy 77 on display at Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 19 and 20 May.

Will keep you informed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-whats-wrong-picture.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Don,

Great start to what promises to be an enjoyable and informative thread.
I have noticed with this hobby that there is a lot of problem-solving involved in getting what we want, just right. For your prop, Try laminating the reduced-size prop to 1mm stock and sand the edges to an aerofoil shape. Use this as the core to reinforce the two halves. I have found this to be particularly effective for props with more than two blades.
Looking forward to following.

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Many thanks for stopping in, Bernie.

And thanks for the advice, which I will definitely follow. Kevin has told me that he used a round toothpick sanded to shape with the the round part serving to provide a basis for the cylindrical prop base that fits into the constant-speed mechanism. It seems to me that a combination of the two techniques (a short length of dowel -- round toothpick -- inserted into a cut out in a piece of 1mm card that can be feathered to an airfoil shape) might work. Some experimentation is in order.

In any event, I am honored to have you look in on my thread.

Don
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice work and very neat desk you have there!
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
... I thought I otter do it....

Very cute little pun Don!

...Bleedproof paper ....

Does this mean you can just wipe the blood off? I would
find this quite useful!
Glad to see ya building again Dogface. And even better, a Dogface Flyboy subject.
It does sound like your busy my friend, but I do hope you have time to continue,
and I look forward to following an excellent build and learn something along the way!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Don,

I've got a couple of the DGA Otters but only printed one out so far (Air Saguenay). It's scaled down to 1/72 and I found that the fuselage formers to be tight to the point of not fitting. I figure this may very well be due to the change in scale, with the former tabs being too thick when folded. It looks like your formers fit well. Did you encounter any issues?

Bob
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Great job so far Don............ It looks very "clean" for a working Army bird.

Bob........ on down-scaling because the paper thickness doesn't change this will effect the fit on the formers.

One solution you may try is to cut them on the inside of the line on the tabs.

Another could be to scale only the formers down by another greater percentage. I sure some has already figured out what that might be.

john

My Drawings
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
John,

Thanks. The quick and dirty would be to cut the tabs as you have suggested, and most likely the option I will take. I could rescale as well, and I suspect that would probably be just a few percent. Figuring out just how much will depend on my laziness factor when I build it.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Enjoying watching this model come together, Mr. Boose! Enjoy your Easter with your grandsons!

Wyvern
Google Adsense