PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation Best aviation museums

Best aviation museums.

Link to a CNN article:

World's 14 best aviation museums - CNN.com

I have been to some. There are many more that are just as great. Also not so famous, but still great museums around the world.

You may list your own choices here

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
They left out the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola, FL. Definitely one of the top 14.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Haven't been to any outside the U S. I would put in a vote for the Mid American Air Museum in Liberal, KS since it concentrates on civil aviation and light aircraft.

Just as an added note another good one is the Evergreen Museum in Oregon which sounds like it may be in real financial trouble and facing possible closure.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
in uk duxford and fleet air arm museum in yeovil are brilliant as is army aircorp museum at middle wallop.here in godzone our museum pieces are all still in frontline service lol
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
I've been to the three they mention in the U.S., D.C., USAF and Boeing. Been on the Intrepid in NYC, one in CT., NASA in FL, The Alabama, two in MI., SAC in Omaha, NE, Hill, AFB in Utah, one in GA. That's about it.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
There is a good little museum near my place in Australia called Fighter World. It is at RAAF Base Williamtown, which is a fighter base with F/A18 Hornets and BAe Hawks. The Museum is at the end of the runway, and a viewing platform has air traffic control coming through speakers.
Besides the aircraft on display, there is a collection of several hundred 1/72 aircraft models. They are the work of one man, and were carved from wood and hand painted by brush. They equal any well made plastic model, and are worth a trip to the museum for these alone.
Other museums in Australia worth a visit are the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, The Fleet Air Arm museum at Nowra, the Australian National Aviation Museum at Moorabbin airport in Melbourne and the RAAF Museum at Point Cook air force base near Melbourne. These I have been to and recommend. There are others but I haven't been to them.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Woolley; 02-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlazarus6660 View Post
I've been to the three they mention in the U.S., D.C., USAF and Boeing. Been on the Intrepid in NYC, one in CT., NASA in FL, The Alabama, two in MI., SAC in Omaha, NE, Hill, AFB in Utah, one in GA. That's about it.
went on intrepid when she was still in service and visited singapora
Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
List is wrong. The Shuttleworth Collection needs to be at number one:

Best aviation museums-4873173395_98b875be33_b.jpg

Shuttleworth Old Warden Park - Gallery

Tim
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
There is nice museum in Atwater Ca. The Castle air museum has over 50 aircraft on display there. I've also been to the museum in Palmsprings as well as Planes of fame in Chino Ca. All very good museums to visit.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Point Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikokibert View Post
There is a good little museum near my place in Australia called Fighter World. It is at RAAF Base Williamtown, which is a fighter base with F/A18 Hornets and BAe Hawks. The Museum is at the end of the runway, and a viewing platform has air traffic control coming through speakers.
Besides the aircraft on display, there is a collection of several hundred 1/72 aircraft models. They are the work of one man, and were carved from wood and hand painted by brush. They equal any well made plastic model, and are worth a trip to the museum for these alone.
Other museums in Australia worth a visit are the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, The Fleet Air Arm museum at Nowra, the Australian National Aviation Museum at Moorabbin airport in Melbourne and the RAAF Museum at Point Cook air force base near Melbourne. These I have been to and recommend. There are others but I haven't been to them.

Robert

I was lucky to have been at Point Cook museum when they had an airshow back in 1998. I met this fellow from Qantas that flew a De Haviland Dragon ( the predecessor to the Dragon Rapide ) and was invited to go inside the plane.

Best aviation museums-dragon.jpg

Wonderful experience seeing all the old airplanes in the air. Winjills, Mustang, T6,Sopwith Camel, Douglas Havoc, B-25..... And many more on display and restored.

It was a wonderful day.

Isaac

Isaac
Google Adsense