PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
FG BF-109 "Dora"

Hi all:

I've been meaning to try repainting the Fiddlers Green 109E as a 109D for some time, but it wasnt until last week that I started. This is a model of the plane flown by Werner Molders of the Condor Legion, during the Spanish Civil War. The re-designing was minimal, as its a skill I am severly lacking in- all I did was add a radiator under the nose, move the air scoop, and delete the under-wing radiators. Oh, and I kit-bashed the nose guns. The repainting was easier than I thought it would be, since the fuselage is mostly one big part. Which is a good thing, since trying to get markings lined up across multiple parts is something I am terrible at.

I made this model up last night and wasnt trying too hard to make it look great. I mostly just wanted to see how it looked. I used glossy brochure paper and then sealed it with an acrylic spray as it was smudging a bit. I added in a bit o grunge around the guns and the exhausts and a few other spots, and that was that.

I still have to make a few changes but once I am done I will send the result on to Fiddlers Green and hopefully they will like it enough to make it available.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_1.jpg   FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_2.jpg   FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_3.jpg   FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_4.jpg   FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_5.jpg  

FG BF-109 "Dora"-bf109d_6.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Congratulations on a great repaint. Did you also repaint the landing gear bay internals? Most FG models have the landing gear depicted in an "up" position on the wing undersides, and I see your repaint has a 2D depiction of the open bay.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hey, that came out great!

You did a superb repaint and carried out a lot of modifications quite successfully. Thanks for sharing this project with us...I do hope FG takes on this version, it would be an excellent addition to their stable!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.73 MB
Excellent mods and paint job, I also hope FG take up the offer. They are bringing out the Mosca, which would be a good partner to your 109D if they bring it out in Republican colours.

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

thanks all.

Oh the landing gear bay; forgot about that! Those were kit bashed off the FG Typhoon. :-)

And I added on the two round spots on the spinner to show where the prop should Really be. I just glued that all in place so it doesnt move, but it would be easy enough to make it up so it could spin (or at least turn). I didnt like the flat look of the original prop. So now you can get a toothpick and stick it through the round spots, wrap the props around the ends and you end up with a much nicer look.

I actually test built this one twice and the first one was with just standard 110 pound cardstock. The glossy brochure paper certainly shows more detail, but you know, I think for this model at least, regular cardstock would be better. The brochure paper didnt seem to take the grunge well. I was using pencil shavings and a Q-tip. I tried it on the normal cardstock and the effect was much better.
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice sir!
Attached Thumbnails
FG BF-109 "Dora"-rimg0008.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Now, the real question is: can i extend my very limited skills and change the Fiddlers Green 109E into at least superficially resembling an "F" or a "G". Hmmm....have to think about that. :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Any news on this project?

Don
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM

I've started fiddling around with differing nose parts. I may have something worth showing in a week or two.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great! Tracking.

Don
Google Adsense