PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Smile IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale

IAF Avia S-199

Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale

This is my latest addition to my slowly growing Israeli Air Force in 1/33 scale. Since I just finished the repainted Kfir which I posted a few weeks ago, I needed a follow up. I am still not 100% finished with the A-4N ( I have to build a canopy for it ), but will delay it a bit longer. I looked thru my kits and selected the Avia since it looked well engineered.

As it turned out, this is a great kit by this company. I have not built any of their other kits before. It is perfectly fitting, moderate in its detail and represents the aircraft well and is relatively low cost. I also purchased the laser frames ( made by GPM ).

History

The Avia company in Czechoslovakia at the end of WW2 had lots of Me-109 components as they built the aircraft for the Luftwaffe during the war. After the war they needed their own air force, so they decided to start with the hardware they had on hand. The Me-109 was a natural starting point. Only thing is they ran out of the Daimler Benz DB605 engines. However they had the Jumo 211F engines from the Heinkel He-111 bomber. So they planted the bomber engine and propeller to the Me-109. They built them for their air force as the CS-199 ( two seater ) and the S-199. There were some variants with different canopies that slid aft instead of the swinging to starboard.

The aircraft that emerged behaved really bad. The Me-109 with the proper engine was a handful, but with the high torque Jumo engine it was a beast. The Czech called it the Mezek ( which means a mule ). It had lots of control issues.

Service with the IAF

The early days of Israel during the 1948 war of independence required arms from anywhere they could get it. Some S-199 aircraft were purchased in Czechoslovakia and transported in pieces. The Israelis named this aircraft the “Sakin”, which means a knife. It is a close translation of Messerschmidt ( messer in German means a knife ).
The subject aircraft which is preserved in the IAF museum is painted as the one used by Modi Alon who in 1948 shot down 2 Egyptian Dakotas which were dropping bombs from the side hatch. Obviously not the most glamorous of aerial victories, but it did the job. The Avia S-199 did not remain in service long and were replaced by the ever growing fleet of Spitfires and later Mustangs until the first jets; Gloster Meteor were purchased.

The kit

The kit comes well printed on good stock, well designed, well illustrated and is pleasant to look at. It is rated as a medium in complexity of build.
IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5987.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5989.jpg
IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5988.jpg

I did note photos on the Polish paper modeler gallery and there was a partial build log of a Czech version somewhere as well.

Build log

For this log I will be brief as it is a straight forward. That will follow up in the next few days.

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I look forward to more on this thread.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great project, Isaac. I appreciate the detailed background information and, like Jeff, I look forward to seeing you make this historic aircraft come alive.

Don

PS: How was the hanami?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great project, Isaac. I appreciate the detailed background information and, like Jeff, I look forward to seeing you make this historic aircraft come alive.

Don

PS: How was the hanami?

Don

Hanami ( Cherry blossom watching/enjoying ) was beautiful. Great weather and lots of cherry blossoms and loads of people enjoying and picnicking.

I tried to post pictures, but the system did not let me. I will try again later

Isaac

Isaac
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 AM

Hanami pictures

Don

Here are the pictures of the Cherry Blossoms in Tokyo

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-img_1620.jpg

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-img_1629.jpg

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-img_1684.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 AM

Fuselage

The sections are simple and are butt joined at the mating frames. I like this method as there is usually a good fit with the sections compared to the tab method.
Cut out the cockpit area. That will be assembled later and slipped into place. I had to remove the rear fuselage section that mated to the vertical tails since it was a bit weak. I reinforced with two wood pins.

Pictures here
IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5990.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5992.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5994.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5995.jpg

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5997.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5998.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf5999.jpg

Note
I usually build jets, but this kit assembly is really going very well. Also, it has the right balance of complexity, eye appeal and ease.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM

Cool Cockpit

Medium complexity in that the instrument panel has nice cutouts and details of the gages. There are also a nice set of rudder pedals and side controls including the trim wheel. The seat has the tub shape so the pilot can sit on the parachute. The kit comes with the seat belts

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6018.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6019.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6024.jpg

IAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6025.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6027.jpgIAF Avia S-199 by Modelarz Kartonowy in 1/33 scale-dscf6028.jpg

Isaac
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Great work Issac! Your attention to detail in the cockpit really makes it come to life. I'm really looking forward to seeing this plane come together.

I see you have a plastic canopy. Where did you get it from, if I may ask?

Jeff
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the images of the cherry blossoms, Isaac. Seeing all those sakura made me homesick for Japan, although i must say that we have had the most spectacular flowering of trees (cherry, dogwood, and redbud especially) in Carlisle that i have seen in 23 years and Lil and I have tried to enjoy them as much as we can. I am lucky in that we have many beautiful trees in our neighborhood and garden and my third floor office looks down on a vista of trees with dogwoods and redbuds in flower all along the winding Letort Creek.

Back to the model: This was an attractive airplane and your model looks great. You have done a superb job of achieving a smooth join between the fuselage segments.

I'm on a break from monitoring an on-line forum and refreshed my eyes by looking at the photos of your model repeatedly.

Many thanks for sharing all these splendid images.

Don
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very interesting. As I was reading your introduction, I was thinking... a Jumo in a 109... I guess there were some flips on the runways now and then.

The butt join method is a very good one, as the goal is to have zero noticeable seams. Not all like it, but once you build a couple, it becomes natural.

Keep it up with the Avia!
Google Adsense