PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat

Hello Friends,

Just taking a break from too many projects and have decided to regain some sanity in my life by focussing on a single project, Mike Dixon's 1/12th scale ejection seat. So, on with the build.

First up, the side rails. No problems here, just laminating, lots of laminating, to 1mm board. The holes were made with a 3mm hollow-punch, after laminating, but before cutting out. Edges were coloured with a grey Faber-Castel Art Grip Aquarelle pencil.

Everything straightforward so far.

Happy modelling

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3938.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
sweet! will be following closely!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks folks. Some progress, this time the seat pan. For the life of me, I couldn't get the the back and top pieces of parts 15l & 15r to line up with the sides and bottom. My solution, was to glue one side to the base, attach parts 18 to the base, then the back, part 17, followed by the other side. Phew, works though. Hopefully the pictures say it better.

The only problem now was that the back pieces wouldn't fit, so I used two pieces of card painted with Xtracrylics XA1015 light aircraft grey, which is a close match to the printed colour.

The rest of the lumps and bumps were attached and edge coloured.

Seat bottom to follow. Hope you enjoy.

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3936.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3935.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3937.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3945.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3946.jpg  

Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3947.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
You are doing a wonderful job on this so far. Looks much better than mine at this point in the build.
I looked at the three prototypes that I built and could not quite put a handle on the seat back to pan problem. I am going to build this area again and will share the results here, for the better or the worse. I have built a ton of stuff and I know that adjustments are a necessary evil, I just hope the rest of the build goes smoother for you.
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Hi Mike,

Glad you stopped by. I forgot to mention in the last post that I removed 1mm from the bottom of part 17. This allowed the sides, base and back to align. To allow the back pieces of parts 15 to be used, parts 18 would also have to be reduced in width by 1mm. Anyway on with the seat base.

Happy modelling

Bernie
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Seat base complete. Interior was reinforced with some grey-board which also helps to support the top of the seat.

I assembled the seat-top and recess next and then attached these to the base. I added some small tabs to the recess to help with gluing.

Seat base mounted in the pan with the seat-squab on top.

The edges of the grey-green parts were coloured with Tamiya XF25 Light Sea Grey, which actually comes out as Light Slate Grey, a perfect match in this case.

B.f.n.

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3939.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3952.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3949.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3953.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3954.jpg  

Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3955.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Bernie,

Really great construction, clean cuts and all around clean build. I noticed you use Tamiya acrylics, and I must say the results are astounding. Do you also use their bottle thinner? Have you tried thinning them with water?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi T.O.

Thanks for your comments. I use Tamiya thinners for all my acrylics, no bleeding or seepage. However, I do use water with the watercolour pencils I use. I have just added these beauties to my tool-box, Derwent Aquatones.These are solid sticks, almost like crayons.

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3956.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf3944.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Hello folks,
Work continues. Parachute pack and head-rest. The head-rest was particularly fiddly with all of the folds, but well worth persevering with.

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf4015.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf4019.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf4013.jpg   Martin Baker Mk7 Ejection seat-dscf4020.jpg  
Google Adsense