PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery

Hello Paper Aviators!

This is my first post in the Aviation section (I usually hang out in the Real Space section exclusively).

Anyway, I downloaded the P-3 Orion designed by "tekzo" because my dad flew in P-3s in the US Navy and I wanted to build one for him. Then I got to thinking... I should make it look like one of the squadrons he flew in. He said that VP-U2 was his favorite and VQ-1 was his second favorite. Since VPU-2 didn't have their own livery (the were so secret that they used the livery of other squadrons to veil their identity), I decided to do VQ-1 (another P-3 reconnaissance sqaudron). I used GIMP to repaint it and the results are below. For reference, Tekzo's model can be found here and a picture of the VQ-1 bird can be found here. As you can see from the VQ-1 picture, I will have to scratch build some additional pods and such to attach to the plane.

I'm not sure what the proper protocol is when repainting another's work, but my understanding is that it's okay as long as I'm not offering it for download without the author's permission and I give the author credit for the original design. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let me know what you think of it as it's my first attempt at modifying any kit in any way. I won't be building it right away because I am still (more than a year later) working on a Mammoth Tank from the Command and Conquer series of computer games. I hope to finish that soon and have this completed by Father's day (probably not going to happen with my schedule). I will certainly post pictures of it along the way and would appreciate any kindly tips you have as this will be my first aircraft build. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_1-small.jpg   P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_2-small.jpg   P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_3-small.jpg   P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_4-small.jpg   P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_5-small.jpg  

P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_6-small.jpg   P-3 Orion VQ-1 Livery-vq-1-p-3-orion_7-small.jpg  
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
those thins flew over my house 3 times a day to moffet field, i build plastic models of them all the time, f-4's too and hercules's
thats great, brings back memories.