PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Modelarz Albatross D.111

Ahoy
I got the 109 out of the way now its time to start another build. Here is the albatross D.111 in Polish markings, I wish it was all red but this is a pretty plane I havent seen any of these modeled so here it goes. I got this kit from the mysterious Santa clause of Dec. 2011 Santa I thank you I just got of work time for a 12 pack of grogg my favorite Anchor Steam beer, Before I toil inj labor tomorrow I will start the build scince i been working the build wont go as fast as the rest of my builds but you will never know. Here is a couple ictures of the model before I get started.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0017.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0018.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0019.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
This will be an interesting build, Boats my friend.
The DIII had issues with the flexion of the wing spars, which could lead to the wing parting company from the fuselage in mid air. The Austrian (Oef) DIIIs were even more prone to this than the German-manufactured DIIIs, which was why the design was later revised to become the DVa.
The Polish markings on your kit make it an unusual one, and will certainly make it stand out in a WW1 aircraft collection.

I have no doubts your model will be a fine example, Boats.

Kind and Respectful Regards Boats My Friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
This will be an interesting build, Boats my friend.
The DIII had issues with the flexion of the wing spars, which could lead to the wing parting company from the fuselage in mid air. The Austrian (Oef) DIIIs were even more prone to this than the German-manufactured DIIIs, which was why the design was later revised to become the DVa.
The Polish markings on your kit make it an unusual one, and will certainly make it stand out in a WW1 aircraft collection.

I have no doubts your model will be a fine example, Boats.

Ahoy Uyraell
thanks sir for your reply I will give it my best. indeed its unusual compared to the Red and different color schedules used durring the WW1 campaign. but its the Polish squadron fair enough. its different but it will stand out next to the rest of the Albatross aircraft.

Boats
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM

The build begins Fuselage assembly

Ahoy
Starting the build as per photos I have constructed the first four fuselage units, The fit is excellent the formers A and B the round formers for parts 1 and 2 are slightly over sized you have to sand them, down to fit. after I installed the foemers I cemented the first four skin units together letting dry later on i will burnish them out. Still proceedi9ng aft with the fuselage assembly. Before I started construction last night sprayed the model down with krylon clear and let dry overnite. Here are the photo updates for now will have a couiple more this evening.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0001.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0002.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Fuselage assembly

Ahoy
Last update for now off to toil in labor, fuselage skins and formers are constructed from 1-6 letting these dry for the night when i get off work tonite i will dso some serious burnishing no fit issue thus far on the build looks like its going to be a steady fit issue kit, but one never knows. Here are the update pix.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0003.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0004.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0005.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0006.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0007.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Looking very neat Boats My Friend.
You're certainly quick off the mark when it comes to starting a build, and this looks to have your usual fine attention and care being applied with your usual high skills.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well! It will certainly be fun watching you build this historic aircraft. I'll bet you built more than one of the old Guillow's Albatros in the 1950s (I can't remember if it was a II or a V).

Were your ears burning? Rick and Pedro (Silver Oxide) were talking about you during dinner tonight, after setting up for Army Heritage Days. Pedro often uses a technique in his scratch-built models of laminating strips of paper until they take on some of the characteristics of wood. We recall that you used a similar technique, building what was essentially a stick-and-tissue model, except that the stringers, ribs, and formers were all laminated paper.

Anyway, you are clearly off to a good start and I continue to be amazed at your productivity and the high quality of your work.

Bravo zulu, Boats.

Don
Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM

fuselage assembly finished

Ahoy
finally have the fuselage assembly finished as far as the skins and formers go. I have the engine fairing to do before she is 100 percent donr on the fuselage. As of now letting the fuselage dry then i will do some burnishing to smooth out the seams. formers L,M,are slightly oversized they needed fileing down until a good fit is achieved as to the fit issues that was the only problem I incountered perhaps there will be more as the build continues. I completed the cockpit intereir which was pretty sparse could have been better all that was done was rudder pedals,joystick seat and seat belts. Better thyen none when I get off work this evening i will give the fuselage a good burnishing and a couple good coats of Krylon clear. Here is tyhe update for the Albatross.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0001.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0002.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0003.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0004.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0005.jpg  

Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0006.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0007.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0008.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0009.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0010.jpg  

Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Engine fairing assembly

Ahoy
Here is the update for tonight just got off and toiled my 10 hour day. I am happy I am working 10 hours a day 6 days a week. this means more model money for me. As to the build i have installed the top engine fairing assembly tomorrow i will have the intire fuselage completed. along with the tail feathers I should have it done by Tuesday and start another.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0011.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0012.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0013.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM

fuselage and tailfeathers

Ahoy
Here is the update for now back to work more when i get off work another 10 hour day for me not atleased bushed. Primed and pumped and ready to toil. as to the build I constructed and completed the tail feathers and doing some burnishing I mixed a my favorite 50/50 areo gloss dope finish. The stabilizer and rudder are a different color of green then that of the fuselage I didn,t notice that in the kit the 50/50 gloss dope soloution brought out the color. I amagine the wings are the same color. I wish this kit was all red but its the Polish markings of the aircraft being modeled. there were no fit issues the tail feather assembly. when the dope cures I will do another burnishing of the fuselage and proceed withe undercarriage assembly and tail skid also the exaust pipes. lastly will be the wings prop and the flying wires.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0001.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0002.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0003.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0004.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0005.jpg  

Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0006.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0007.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0008.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0009.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0010.jpg  

Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0011.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0012.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0013.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0014.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0015.jpg  

Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0016.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0017.jpg   Modelarz Albatross D.111-pict0018.jpg