PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
MiG-15 bis no. 132 N. Sutyagin / Marek repaint /1:72

Testing out the new pack of Wausau Metallics paper (white gold) that I've been discussing here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/f...tml#post291753

Figured that this new repaint I've ben working on would be a good test model, as it is supposed to be mostly bare metal. The plane is the MiG-15 bis No. 121032 as flown by Soviet Ace Capt. Nikolay V. Sutyagin, of the 17th IAP, June 1951 - January 1952 in the Korean conflict. It's a simple red-nose, red-tail North Korean Air Force MiG-15, with fuselage number 132 on the nose. I'll be offering the repaint on Ecardmodels.com (in 1:50 scale) once the build is complete.

I've spray sealed the page in a matte sealant (out of gloss), so it lost a little of its luster, but it still is shinier than the copy printed on plain card (metallic on left, plain card on right):

You can see that there is definite relfection on the parts:

As compared to the sprayed normal card which is dead flat:

So let's see how it cuts, folds, and glues up, shall we?
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
cModerator

Fuselage

Starting of course with the fuselage. This kit has no detailed cockpit and an opaque canopy, and I'm leaving it as such. The kit uses the abutting bulkhead fuselage assembly method, and I'm all for it. Marek's kits are very precicely done in this manner.

So far, cutting and gluing have been absolutely no different from normal card. Using Aleene's Tacky glue has held nicely on all parts. This particular card is plain on the backing, but all the formers are metallic to metallic facing and are holding great. All that's left is to see how it scores and holds a fold. Everything here has been rounded, and it has been a pleasure. I can highly recommend this stuff. (And I also have a lead on a cheaper and more plentiful pack of something similar - win-win).

Nearly forgot to include weight in the nose as this is a tricycle gear jet with a long tail, but was able to cut into the bulkhead and make a large enough hole to glue in a 1/4-20 nut. Should do the job. That's all for tonight, more tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Excellent! I look forward to following this thread. Not only is this one of my favorite jets, but an excellent choice of subject.

Good clean build.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Metallic paper is hard to use but is a spectacular when used well. I'll be following this build
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Metallic paper is hard to use but is a spectacular when used well. I'll be following this build
Metallic foil paper is reportedly hard to use, but this paper has been absolutely no more difficult to work with than standard cardstock. The ink even dried to the touch just as fast as normmal cardstock.
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM
cModerator

Ok next installment. Got to score and fold some parts, and they did beautifully. I can fully endorse this paper. I've seen no issues with it at all - it works perfectly.

So I realized that I made a mistake on the tail end of the fuselage. I thought that the pieces on the vert stabilizer wrapped around to make the tailcone and that the last small piece was to be inverted inside the tailcone. Wrong. That part was the tailcone, the small pieces on either side of the stabilizer only wrap part way around, and the internal piece that was too big to make it to the end was intended to be cut to size. Well some surgery and I think the recovery came together nicely.

Since I had trimmed it to fit inside, it didn't reach all the way around as it should. I inverted the piece so the gap was at the top, where it would be covered by the vert stabilizer.

Then the wings - cut, scored, molded (including integrated fairings), and assembled. Worked quite nicely.

Canopy:

And finally (for tonight) tailfeathers and cannon:

The photos aren't quite capturing the sheen of the model, its a little subtle, but a nice effect. It works on everything - the bare and painted metallic surfaces and the canopy glass. I'm really digging it.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great job on the build (and the recovery!) and the review of the metallic paper... one question, does it 'fuzz' at the folds, especially shart ones?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This model came out great. As stated before I like the subject chosen.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Wonderful build, and great photos. Will this be a grounded or in flight display?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 AM
cModerator

Grounded. I'm building it stock, as the goal really was to test out the paper. There are only black marks where the landing gear bays should be (as most early Marek kits have), and I will just attach the landing gear as specified. I don't have any in flight models in my collection.
Google Adsense