PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great start, Gerardo! A beautiful model of one of my favorite airplanes. Just a little reminder, the "Bf" designation is the correct official one. RLM dweebs like me do a little shudder whenever we see the "common" ME used...

I'll tell you about another game I play when I'm being an obnoxious knowitall...is the nose on this model a little lopsided? I'm betting the designers of these fantastic kits did their homework and got it right, but you'd be surprised at how many never catch it, or even just assume it can't possibly be right and "fix" it...the top of the cowl is a little higher on the right side from windscreen forward, and the sides bulge a bit in a funny way: the upper left side curves out a bit more, the right side bulges out lower. What do you see there?

There's a reason for this distortion, having to do with what's under the skin. See, Willi Messerschmitt wrapped the plane in the smallest package possible, believing less surface area would mean lower parasitic drag - lumps and all. It wasn't until the G series that he got enough wind tunnel data to convince him otherwise. So, he kinda painted the nose (the popular German term for the engine module translates as "Power Egg") around the various components on the DB601. Also, the left-side machine gun is about four inches forward of the right, to allow side-by-side routing of the ammunition feed, but the gun troughs themselves originate from the same point.

Like I say, it's a bit of snobbery to have fun with and nothing more. You really have to be looking to find it, and I can think of maybe two people out of all the really fine models out there who did it.

'Duster
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Thank you Waddy for the reference! I will indeed learn much more about this and other T model Messe´s.

leclerc, thank you for the kind words!

Duster... I knew about the Me VS Bf designations. I read also somewhere that here in the States the commonest call was Me-109. I like it also most the Bf, but I guess most people goes by the Me.

Now about what you say about the nose. In fact, I'm thinking on model kits that don't require to manipulate the airframe... I'm talking about plastic. I really have never hear about such detail, in paper nor in plastic models. I have books on 109's but need to go over them again to check how this is pointed.

Let me dig a little more. Or if anyone here have more information on where to find references, that would be a great knowledge of these great planes.

And about the machine guns to be off aligned, I knew and I think that's a common knowledge. It is better understood when we see the open cowling on some models.

In any case, thank you for the game... good food for thought.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, Emm-Ee, Bee Eff...lots of Americans say "Porsh" and I say Porsh-AH." I'm just overbearing like that...

As far as accurate lines...I looked at the books I have upstairs here, and most of the scale drawings in popular print either don't show what I'm talking about or are in so small a scale that the difference doesn't resolve to the naked eye. I worked my stuff up off a 1/2" = 1' draft from the British Museum, from their very careful loftings off captured aircraft, and it's gonna take some major digging in my basement to turn up those drawings. Give me a little time.

But, still, that's not the point of what we're discussing here! I'm betting the Halinski people have done their job well. -Is the instrument panel lopsided? That'll tell you right away.

Frankly, from a kit-engineering point of view, it would be very difficult to wrap a skin around the subtle lopsided frame I'm describing, and have everything come out okay. I meant NO criticism here: it's just a little detail I look for, and even when it's not there, I still smile and nod.

'Dust
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 AM

Thank you Dust... not taken. Besides, it's good to learn from our fellow modelers.

All right... this thread is not dead...

Internal details from the pilot's office.

Now let's close the cabin... that's why I took quite many photos, so I can show the details.

Here we have the classic Halinski way to use the back cover of their kits for the model parts.

As you can see, I'm using Tamiya tape to hold on some parts while they dry, instead of leaving my finger in that place. I'm using Tamiya tape very often on my models. Very useful.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM

All right... the engine/nose part of the Messerschmitt looks a little too much... don't you think?

Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
good grief.... laser cut frames anyone? Looking great so far!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM

I know, cmdr! By the time I bought this kit, laser frames weren't available. I bought the kit as soon as I knew it was released... It is on sale now on the Halinski web site and other places.

A little more on the T-2 Model.

The skin to the cockpit area.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM

A little more on the Messerschmitt....

Fuselage... and the control surfaces...

Yeah... still cutting more and more internal structures.

I tried to emboss the rudder, but it didn't work too good for me. Maybe I need to study this further.
Attached Thumbnails
Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03633.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03634.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03635.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03636.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03637.jpg  

Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03638.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03640.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03641.jpg   Messerschmitt Bf-109 T-2 Halinski 1:33-dsc03642.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
One of the major items of aircraft builds like this and your P-51 is the detail to the cockpit and how small the parts are but yet everything is so clean and parts appear to be cut very sharply. I would very much would like to have your skill level. Maybe in time as I keep up with this hobby. It's crazy to me when I view various model builds that it's paper! This would be hard enough if it were a plastic model but it's paper. I haven't gotten into anything even coming close to what you have done. Just amazing to me as a new and beginning model builder. I would be lost if it were for everyones help and tips. Very nice and enjoyable model milenio3. Thank you. wc
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Outstanding work! I have a few Halinksi models, but haven't yet gotten up the courage to build one yet. The printing is so beautiful it almost seems like sacrilege to cut into the page.
Google Adsense