PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Dragos' Brown B-1 racer (beta)

I offered to do a beta build of Dragos' Brown B-1 racer, and was very happy when he took me up on it (love those classic racers).

Initial observations: The file is A4 size, but Dragos left enough kerf on top and bottom so that it can be printed at 100% on letter size paper too - smart. Its 56 pieces are arranged neatly, and there is a clearly labeled drawing of the finished airplane on the parts page to serve as instructions. There are no glue tabs or glue strips provided with the beta. The wings are laid out against the paper grain, which will make it more difficult to obtain a smoothly rounded and crinkle free leading edge. Rotating these parts 90 degrees would be preferable, if possible. The model is equipped with a seat and instrument panel. I don't know if Dragos has any further cockpit details in mind for the model's final release. The assembly style is paired bulkhead. There is a tall, narrow hump down the center of the aft fuselage which I expect will offer a challenge when forming the skins.

I've started cutting paper, so there will be more soon(ish).
Attached Thumbnails
Dragos' Brown B-1 racer (beta)-brownb1sample.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Hmmm. Picture of the file page came out all black for some reason. Sorry about that.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
when you blow it up its fine though
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hovering the cursor over the thumbnail gets me a proper image of the printout, so no loss.

EDIT: --Which I see Sidewinder posted while I was typing...where's the DELETE button here??
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The magic doesn't work for me, so I will wait to see future images.

I am glad you are building this airplane, Don. It's on my (infinitely large) list of Golden Age racers.

Somehow I missed that you are building a Ki-100 Goshiki-sen.

Don also
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 AM

I'm glad some of you can see the photo - I can't. I have 5.5 of the seven fuselage sections formed, and will be posting pics soon. The dorsal hump didn't present much of a problem after all. Don, I have way too many irons in the fire right now. The Ki-100 I'm building is the Etsutan version. It's all done expect for one horizontal stab, and the landing gear. It's actually a pretty well designed model, but really low res unfortunately. Good luck this weekend. Wish I could be there.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Fuselage assembly: There are 7 main fuselage sections, and a 3 piece spinner. All the sections were small enough that I was able to edge glue the skins - no glue strips or tabs required. I cut the bulkheads so that the black lines were just removed, and after just the slightest bit of sanding, the fit was pretty much perfect on every section. The dorsal hump didn't present a problem after all. Correct alignment of the cockpit section rear bulkhead is critical, and there is no centerline reference, so you really have to be careful here. I glued the seat and instrument panel in place before closing up the front. I'm using glossy brochure paper for this one. It's a lighter weight paper than the 65lb stock I usually use, and a racing plane should be nice and shiny.
Attached Thumbnails
Dragos' Brown B-1 racer (beta)-brown1.jpg   Dragos' Brown B-1 racer (beta)-brown2.jpg   Dragos' Brown B-1 racer (beta)-brown3.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Having seen this kit evolve from the 3D preparation to the in-paper form of a beta-build, I have to say I'm very impressed, Don.

You have most certainly managed the fuselage sections neatly indeed and the cockpit section looks exquisite.

I'm looking forward to seeing this rare aircraft evolve to completion.

Kind and Respectful Regards Don my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up

Ahoy Don
Looking great my man the old bonzo is one of my favorite racers of the bygone age of aviation. Love to see the finished product.

Boats
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very precise work, as always, Don.

Kevin Stephens has been using HP matt brochure paper, which mikes out at .007", just the barest fraction thinner than the Borden and Riley paper I generally use, and with a beautiful finish.

Any problems with gluing the gloss version?

Don too
Google Adsense