PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
RAF Se5a (ribbed plane)

This is the RAF Se5a as designed by Salvador Ortega.
Is a free download from Modelismo en Papel - Salvador Ortega Cabrera

The kit was originally designed at 1/72 scale, but I enlarged it to my preferred 1/33 scale.

Here we can see the source file together with my references.

(Please note that I added some digital textures and colors)

The first step is to start with part of the fuselage:

After a few careful cuts it looks like this:

Then comes the edge coloring. I made it using a fine tip felt marker:

As you can see I laminated the printed page several times in order to get a more proportional thickness of the wood elements.

Now you can see the work of the basic fuselage frame was completed:

A front image shows that the result is fairly good.

So far, so good.
Hope the rest of the plane is as easy as this frame.

See you soon!

Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another remarkable build, Rubén.

Don
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hello, Rubén! I think you are on your way of accomplishing another milepost - significant steps towards a method of making complicated simulated wood stringer frameworks in paper.

Please, at some time further down the line, consider setting down your results and methods in detail. Numbers of layers, method of overlaying at corners, horizontal layers overlapping vertical at the corners, etc., etc.

I regard this as a significant step towards solving an as yet unsolved paper modeling problem.

Leif
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM

We were talking about something like this during the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event. Silveroxide uses a method of laminating multiple sheets of paper to form a wood-like material for his models, and Deck Ape (Boats) sometimes fabricates the formers and stringers of a stick-and-tissue model out of laminations of paper.

I, too, would like to hear more about your techniques, Rubén.

Don
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Well my friends, thanks a lot for your words.

The original file that Salvador offers is at scale 1/72, and can be printed using ordinary copy paper. That allows to make all the frame one single piece.

But I printed on thick cardstock (0.25mm) and I laminated using the same cardstock until getting a thickness of around 1mm to 1.25 mm. That measure is approximately the good one for a scale of 1:33 in the wood longerons. Maybe not exact, but it looks fine to the eye.

Because 1.25mm is too thick to be folded easily, I decided to separate the sides as complete parts, and the upper and bottom sticks as separate parts too.

I printed using laser, and for the last layer I also used a laser-printed page with a wooden texture all over it. That's why the backing of each longeron also has wooden texture.

I glued the pages together using generic white PVA glue, and put them under a lot of pressure (ten volumes of a heavy encyclopedia) for two days before cutting.

Cutting is the key to get a nice finish: the blades need to be very sharp, and the cuts need to be very vertical. That way I got a very nice fit of parts. The rest is proper use of cyanoacrilate and big doses of patience to glue each small stick.

The markers I’m using to color the edges are water-based. The result is very nice (slightly different to an alcohol-based ink).

In the following days when I add the other structural parts (bulkheads) of the fuselage I will see if I cut right the parts and if the thickness of the lamination is the appropriate. We will know soon!

Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Many thanks for this explanation, Rubén.

You are certainly involved in a lot of innovative paper modeling techniques and projects!

Don
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 AM

I’m advancing slowly. But still advancing.

These are the parts that will become control stick and pedals.

They were sanded, painted, and glued to look like this:

Other views. Here you can also see the metallic plate under the engine. That was made with a single piece of cardstock that was cut and shaped, and then painted afterwards with silver ink to give a metallic finish.

See you soon!!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Absolutely amazing work Ruben! With a suitable background this would easily pass as an actual build of the full sized areoplane. Perhaps your tag line should read "I love the smell of cyanoacrilate in the morning"?

Curt
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 PM

I had to abandon this model last year because of my father's cancer, which left him in wheel chair. After surgery the recovery was hard, but he's almost walking again. Just as I expected to continue this kit it was my mother's stroke...

But finally there were a couple of hours free to modeling, and this is what I did:

Added the fuel tank, the rear stringers, and all the rigging of the frames:

The tank was made with the template provided with the kit. It was painted with silver ink, and then weathered a bit using India ink with a dry brush. I added the rivets and the small braces that hold it in place according to the cutaway reference.

Another view of the fuel tank:

The wires were simulated using silver embroidery thread. I found it great to simulate the scale. First I braided two threads together, and glued them using superglue (CA). I used a weight on one end to keep it straight. after that I carefully cut each piece to size and glued in place using CA. Is not a perfect finish, but after all this months I really don't care about it being perfect.

A view of the rear stringers:

Another view of the stringers:

And some advance on the radiator, which I really didn't like at all. Fortunately I printed two of it, and will surely make another one.

Notice how some of the stringers are really skewed, and look ugly. I could have predicted this effect, since enlarging the kit from 1/72 to 1/33 resulted in some width differences. But I just noticed there were some discrepancies when I was glueing. I had too much in my head to think on small discrepancies.

Anyway, since I can not correct the stringers at this stage, and don't want to begin all the whole plane again, I will let them like that.

Actually, now that I see those poorly shaped stringers, I think the model would look great if some other parts of it are also skewed, weathered, battered as if for the pass of time. What about making it look like an abandoned skeleton airframe? Is a tempting idea!!!!

Kind regards,

Rubén Andrés Martínez

Old 07-27-2013, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Another remarkable build, Rubén.

Don
i agree.

YOAV
Google Adsense