PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Fuselage assembly

Ahoy
Here is a update for the night I just got off work and its time do some building before I hit the fart sack. As per pictures for todays update I have constructed thye pilot6s cockpit detail . I added seat belts to the pilots seat the printing in this kit is wonderfull I salout you Leif for a Brilliant design your the man. After the pilktots compartment has been assembled I constructed the front fuselage section adding the rear former behinbd the pilots seat the front section of that former is natural wood in the printing a excellent touch to that assembly. but before you glue down thast former there is another former that fits in front of the rear fuselage skin section making certain that they match right or you will get an ugly ey sore of a seam. so far the parts fit is excellent no bad fitt issues at all Excellent kit thus far. when both formers are matched mirror edge now its time to cement the formers in position. now its time to cement together the rear portion of the fuselage skin after that cement the rear section to the front and let dry. when the assembly dried I burnished the seams on both sides of the fuselage. you dont want to over burnish or you will remove the printing you will need some touch up edging paint i made a small batch up useing Medium Green with a hint of flat black paint to match the color of the fuselage and edged in the seams before they were glued together. I shot on 2 coats of 50/50 Areo gloss dope the dope acts like a filler as well. tomorrow I will add the tail feathers and proceed with engine placement and cowling and give the fuselage 2 more coats of Areo gloss dope. Here are the updates.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0001.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0002.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0003.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0004.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0005.jpg  

Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0006.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0007.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0008.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0009.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Most interesting to see this one actually going together. As you know, the original design is by anonymus Russian designer "Bug forever". I did a recolor & redesign of it, but never got as far as actually assembling it, so this is most rewarding to take part of.

The introductory thread to the downloaded model is here: The only two authentic Sopwith Triplanes in existence.

Boats, before it is too late, can I recommend you to use the simplified laminated propeller? I just added it to the downloads section here (available as soon as the file is cleared). Print at 67 percent for 1/24 scale.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-23-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Excellent work Boats! I am glad to see your ship-building skills put to work on my favorite aviation era. Your Alb was wonderful too, and your use of the dope on these really makes them look great.

Doug
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent work very cool. I'm not sure if they had a shoulder harness on this bird a lap harness maybe all they had.

Pete
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Tail feathers

Ahoy
thank fellas for your replioes the build is still going strong today and tommorow is my two days off and I am enjoying building this little guy. As of the update for now more this evening is the construction oif the tail feathers. looks looks like this will be a fast build not many parts to the kit unless if your are going out all the way with the scale ribs and spars in the kit. the fit of parts is superb no bad fit issues as of this update build report i have constructed and installed the tail feathgers. startinjg with the stabilizer assembly the instructions give full detail in makeing the scale like ribs on the stabilizer. what I have done is to turn the un printed side of the stabilizer marking the ribs only not the spar useing a cardboard backing as a pad take a ink pen or a really dull knife useing a striaght edge rule score the ribs making certain you dont go right through the paper or you will have to print another stabilizer. Whrn done turn over and check your work out the result will be a raised scale like rib pattern as shown on the pictures same shoulkd be done on the fuselage top behind thye piloots compartment simulateing the stringers. On the rudder and stabilizer parts there is a reinforcement doubler that will fill in the inside of the rudder and stabilizer sandwitch the doubler between the rudder and stabilizer parts it will make them good andd stiff also warp free, then do your edgeing with marker pencil or paint. cement the units in place Next I will assemble the engine assembly along with the cowling and firewalls and installation. Here is the following update.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0010.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0011.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0012.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0013.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0014.jpg  

Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0015.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0016.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0017.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0018.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I am particularly happy to get your confirmation that there are no fit problems so far. Very comforting to know.

You did a very good job on the stab & fin. Glad to hear you appreciated the tips on how to mark the ribs in tail feather & wing parts. It turned out great!

Leif
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
A very neat choice of subject, coming along very well with your usual fine skills, Boats My Friend.
It is a pleasure to see the Sopwith Triplane emerging as a built model.

Having read over Leif's explanatory thread, I'm grateful to him and Swampfox for the fine work they put into the kit, and to you for showing how the fine model is built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Boats My Friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
I am particularly happy to get your confirmation that there are no fit problems so far. Very comforting to know.

You did a very good job on the stab & fin. Glad to hear you appreciated the tips on how to mark the ribs in tail feather & wing parts. It turned out great!

Leif

Ahoy Leif

thank you Leif I am honored sir, your design is superb the model is turning out well from my perspective, alot can be dont on this kit if the builder has any amagination on thought how to attack the kit. I am building it as is from the kit itself. Instructuon on the kit is straight and forward to the point I like that A great kit Leif. thanks sir for your reply I will do your design justice,

Boats
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
A very neat choice of subject, coming along very well with your usual fine skills, Boats My Friend.
It is a pleasure to see the Sopwith Triplane emerging as a built model.

Having read over Leif's explanatory thread, I'm grateful to him and Swampfox for the fine work they put into the kit, and to you for showing how the fine model is built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Boats My Friend, Uyraell.
Ahoy Uyraell
thank you again for your warm reply sir I love the Triplane something about its ellegance leaves me breathless at times the Dr-1 and the sopwith triplane are one of my WW1 favorite aircraft. thanks a million my man.

Boats
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Engine and cowling assembly and installation.

Ahoy
Here are thge updatesw for the night i just got done installing the engine and ciowling to the fuselage unit. In the following pictures show the constructiuon of the ro9tary engine i made the engine to rotate with the prop when the plane is done . In back of the firewall former I drilled a small hole and incerted a a paper tube passed through with a toothpick for the prop shaft. the prop shaft will be cut to size when the build is completed. The engine detail itself iis a printing only that is rolled into tubes and capped off with the tops that are the cylinder heads. glued to the governor rig the governor ring is glued to the firewall and it is capped off flush to the top of that ring and another ring is applied that is free wheeling so that the engine will rotate whern the prop is turning the paper tube bearing will keep the engine from wobbling. Next will be the tail skid and undercarriage detal then the wings will foloow.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0001.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0002.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0003.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0004.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0005.jpg  

Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0006.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0007.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0008.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0009.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0010.jpg  

Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0011.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0012.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0013.jpg   Sopwith Triplane 1/24 scale-pict0014.jpg