PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Some Days You Fold the BEAR...

I started out talking about this on Zealot, but in the tradition I'm seeing of redundant posting I'm gonna share here too:

On a mad whim, I bought and downloaded Kaptohhar Konnr's big, beautiful Tu-95 BEAR model off ECardmodels.

I've always loved this aircraft; actually I'm a fan of Andrei Tupolev from way back--my flying buddy & I drew up ANT-3/R3 record breaker / propaganda machine / spyplane for Free Flight Rubber--and I admire the guy's surviving the TsAGI purge and coming out on top as the '50s went on.

The Tu-95 / Tu-114 airframe is pure Soviet bravado: while building a long-range bomber and keeping it as under wraps as possible, let's also make a civvy version, and do regular long flights with it, like f'rinstance Moscow to Havana nonstop. "...Are we sending a MESSAGE, vain Capitalists?..."

Love it.

The downloaded kit is to be printed out on A3 paper for a 1/33 model; I can't do that, and 1/33 is too big for my little eagle's aerie, four walkup floors up here in Brooklyn...I reduced the nicely-dense files to ~1/50, which still leaves me a one-meter wingspan model.

I'm concerned that the shrinking will get me bad consequences as I try to wrap reduced skins around reduced formers--I'm intending to use 110# for most of the build (the instructions are beyond my casual efforts to translate) and, short of fitting and filing, does anybody out there have some experience with this sort of mod?

'Duster
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Out of curiosity, how did you unzip the files? When I try to unzip them, I see absolutely nothing in the winzip display for me to unzip. I have tried (I thought) all of the tricks I know of, but to no avail.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Dunno, Ray, WinRAR handled the unzip with perfect aplomb. Hey, check with Chris Gutzmer at Ecardmodels, tell him the problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Duster the skins should be just fine, but Ray there is the one to talk about reductions :P He does everything in 1/144.

Ray, sounds like a corrupted file. I had the same thing happen on other downloads.

G1
Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

Talking You Got a Tiger by the Tail...

xcuse me: A Bear! But you can build this! Work slow and steady: You have lots of friends here! Regards, Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Jeez Ray - you are on staff at ecard.... if you cant get it to work you know who to ask :P This file has always been a pain cause its so big! I am doing some work on it now that I am a bit more knowledgeable
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Ray, you might try using 7zip instead of winzip.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
think we found his issue - plus side note!

Thanks to airdave helping me learn the power of optimizing pdf's I have this over 300mb file down to under 50 should be uploaded in about 40 minutes!
Chris
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

Geez Chris, you gotta do some advertising or something. I had no idea this plane was so big. When you going to add a banner over there?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I have this unzipped and still unbuilt - it looks good and there is tons of potential for anyone who might want to add more detail. from memory for a 1/33 version it needs to be printed onto A3 so printing onto A4 should come in close to 1/50...
Google Adsense