PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
As usual, simple things can get really complicated.................

I've read that the plane number that he (GW Bush) was shot down in was X3, not X2.

X2 was the plane he was assigned after the shoot down and he only flew it for a short time.

X3 was colored in the standard tri-color USN camo Dark Sea Blue (top), Intermediate Blue (sides) and White (undersides) Also, X3 was not marked "Barbara" because the squadron commander did not allow personal markings (this was not unusual for USN squadrons during WWII) BUT with that being said I found a pic of him in an Avenger marked "Barbara III" !!??? So go figure.

The plane in the Bush museum is the one the he seems to remembers the best, and we all know how well all of our memories can be!

I think the best thing would be to decide which Avenger you want to call the GW Bush Avenger and go with it............ heck X3, X2, marked Barbara, or Barbara II of even Barbara III, or not marked with Barbara at all; seems you will to be able to be called it a GW Bush Avenger at some time in history.

NOW....... this is just what I have found on the net, I DO NOT in any way claim to be a GW Bush Avenger expert. Use this info in any way you like and remember your mileage may very!

john
Attached Thumbnails
George Bush's Avenger-1940_01_00_tbm_avenger.jpg  

My Drawings
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
There certainly seems to be differing opinions on exactly what the plane(s) looked like. But a general consensus can probably be put together.
Attached Thumbnails
George Bush's Avenger-tbm_avenger_cutaway_barbara2_proch_gregory.jpg   George Bush's Avenger-atbfgb.jpg   George Bush's Avenger-41tbkc-9ahl._aa300_.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
In modeling, there's often an impulse to go "Just tell me what the thing looked like, & I'll make the model." Which would be fine, except most of History won't cooperate!

A couple points: pilots (& this varies with which nation we're talking about, & an understanding of command and tactics protocol for your subject a/c is helpful) were assigned to a particular aircraft--ehhhh-sorta...a pilot might also have a couple planes available at any time, but particular tactical ID markings (X3 for example) would be carried on both; but other details--a flash on the cowl, or various mix & match maintenance fixes (here, it gets crazy as you consider operating conditions in the field) would make a specific plane at a specific spot hard to find.

It all comes down to finding photos that match, with a single plane, a single timestamp. Then--make your case as logically as you can, and don't be tempted to include something you'd like just because you like it. That may be hardest!

Another thing: individual markings, where they're permitted at all, usually follow a "territorial" tradition: what's on the left side, where the pilot climbs in, is the pilot's; the right side is usually the groundcrew's (some of these "decorations" were pretty creatively derogatory). The photo with "Barbara III" is a little anomalous. My pure speculation is, it was quickly painted on for the photo op, and done on the right side to hide from the brass 'til it could be wiped off.

Speculation & all, the kind of discussion we're having here is just what we need for making "informed" choices.

'Dust
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 147.71 MB
Dust, I saw the same picture. It makes sense that the personal markings would be temporary and hidden during a photo shoot. But a photo shoot for whom? A romantic would say it's for Barbara. Interesting notion tho'.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachy View Post
a photo shoot for whom? A romantic would say it's for Barbara.
I can't think of a better reason, and I'm a Democrat f' Goodness'sake!

These research things are always provisional - you make your best guess, and when better data [inevitably] shakes loose you just gotta be happy you learned something. Far from "Just tell me what it looked like," you're on the way to becoming a Scholar - in spite of yourself. Yah, well - deal.

I went through this some years ago with the Wedell-Williams racer We-Will Jr, NR60Y - there was serious conflict over the color scheme at a particular appearance (we'd narrowed down from the many liveries over its short career and still couldn't nail it!) Long, fun story, but not for here. Just -

- Pick a moment, grit your teeth, and skin that bad kitty.

'Dust
Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
[QUOTE=Hudsonduster;295366]In modeling, there's often an impulse to go "Just tell me what the thing looked like, & I'll make the model." Which would be fine, except most of History won't cooperate!]

That's an awesome statement! So true.
CT
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 147.71 MB
I think I am going to build the X2 pictured in the cutaway above. I have a couple of cut and paste photo programs but i need a plane to work with. The Fiddlersgreen model is okay but i like working in 1/33rd scale. I have an old(15 years) GPM Avenger but the detail and colors are poor. I am working on it.