PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Gil, Wayne, Rich, Glen, Swampfox, Rubén, Don - I'd like to thank you all, and Wayne in particular for the link to the beautiful film of the testrun of Vintage Aviator's Oberursel replica engine.

Watching that Oberursel (you can think of it as a copy of the LeRhone) in the New Zealand sun was heartbreakingly pretty. Did you notice that each cylinder had to be individually primed through the exhaust valve, at that position where that valve is open? And the castor oil (or possibly a synthetic substitute) dripping all over the engine afterwards?

Burnt castor oil is the reason for me colouring the Clerget in a bronze tone - that seems to have been the look of a rotary engine in use. Also, I can't help noting how true-to-scale the prop included in the Clerget engine is, compared to the propeller in this film clip!

Serendipity would have it that DougH (a lurking member of Papermodelers from the U.K.) visited the centennary anniversary of the Sopwith works at Kingston on Thames just this last weekend, where they displayed the Brookland Museum Sopwith Camel.

At the Kingston Aviation site there is a fine video of the Camel's Clerget engine being testrun.

I downloaded and saved this video from YouTube at high resolution, to have and to gloat over. It's not just about listening to and watching the engine run - we get a complete rundown of the procedure, too, as well as a detailed look in the cockpit.

Doug tells me that the Brookland Museum Sopwith Camel in fact is a replica. But it certainly has the look of the original, down to the rather frayed cockpit interior, wouldn't you say?

Here's one of Doug's photos of the Camel being rigged at the centennary festivities.

Thanks, Doug for the great tip about the Kingston Aviation site, and your photos - I'll publish a couple of others of them soon in the thread about the Sopwith Three-seater.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-vintage-aviator-oberursel.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-brookland-camel-clerget-testrun.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-brookland-camel-cockpit-interior.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-brookland-camel.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Clerget model & simplified laminated prop for downloading

Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp Rotary Engine 1/16 scale & Sabreshaped prop

The Clerget engine kit is now available in the dowloads section, under Aviation - Military - WWI.

This is a 1/16 scale paper model of the Clerget 9-cylinder 130 hp rotary engine, as used in e.g. the Sopwith Camel and several other well-known WWI aircraft.

The engine model is based on a previous 7-cylinder version by Richard Schulten, and 3D-renderings by Mark W. Miller. An excellent such three-view rendering is included in the kit.

The kit includes the previously published model for a simplified laminated propeller. The prop design has been built successfully by several builders. who generally praise its simplicity and reliable outcome.

The engine model is to be regarded as a beta-version, although it should present no problems since that, too, is based on a well-proven design. Testbuilds are encouraged!
Attached Thumbnails
Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-clerget-kit-page-1.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-clerget-kit-page-2.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-clerget-kit-page-3.jpg   Clerget 9-cyl 130 hp 1/16 scale model-clerget-kit-page-4.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is superb, Leif! It is a great pleasure just to read through all the captions and to enjoy the outstanding art work.

Many thanks for sharing all this with us.

Don
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Fantastic work Leif! Now I need to find a 1/16 Camel to put it in.
Wayne
Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Leif, would it be "stretching things" if I were to reduce the model to 1/72 scale? I know some of the detail would be lost, but would the resolution still be there?

That is a marvelous design effort!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Charles, I was actually thinking about you, and your intended Sopwith Camel, when I decided to put this one up in the download section. But I couldn't say what happens when you shrink it more than four times. Will be great to see an attempt, though!

I was thinking about suggesting that the 1/33 Maly Modelarz Camel is the best available. At least as far as I can remember. That one should work fine scanned and shrunk. A half, or one third finished version is here: "Experimenting with kitbashing".

(Incidentally, there's your 1/16 Camel, Wayne! And Don, glad you liked the captions. I like making them. As you say, the artwork by Mark Miller really is exceptional.)

Charles, I imagine you may want to go for an electronic version to avoid the hassle of scanning. Will be most interesting to see what your final choice looks like. Der Kampfflieger has an impressive assortment. Please remember to make a review of the kit, once you've chosen - I for one will read it with interest.

- Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Clerget 9-Cylinder 1:16 Scale Rotary Engine Model

Many thanks,

once again Leif, for yet another amazingly detailed and beautifully rendered card model! It looks very much complete, being a Beta model. Was this the engine, by the way, in your very fine Sopwith Pup 1:16 scale Christmas build?

It is now downloaded and saved to my separate drive. I will keep this for a future build of your excellent British 1:32 scale Sopwith triplane model, where I will either upscale the model to 1:16 or downscale the engine and prop to 1:32. Coming to think of it - there was a prop in the same 1:32 scale included in the PDF model file, wasn't there?

Sopwith Pup "Peggy" at Omaka, NZ (from The Vintage Aviator):

All the best and thanks again,
Bengt
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 AM

A 1:16 Scale Sopwith Triplane Model?

Leif,

The more I think about it - a 1/16th scale Sopwith triplane model would be a very nice challenge. I am sure that your 1:32 scale model would lend itself very well to being enlarged to 1:16 scale without any quality loss, being a PDF file, don't you think?

Just imagine that - these first two photos (of the Black Maria replica) are taken from The Vintage Aviator, New Zealand:

The Clerget engine exposed during the construction:

The completed replica aircraft in it's full glory:

This digital painting is by artist Mark Miller and depicts a Naval 10 triplane combat scene (very slighlty cropped around the triplanes):

All the best,
Bengt
Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM

No Rotary Engine in This Replica . . !

I was obviuosly quite a bit hasty (to say the least) when I posted the photo of the Sopwith triplane replica under construction at The Vintage Aviator workshop in the post above.

I (very uncritically) summised that they were using an original nine-cylinder Clergét rotary engine, as they have done with for example the recent Fokker D.VIII replica (using a re-engineered Oberursel rotary engine - see video above!), without even looking at the details in the photo.

As pointed out to me in a PM (thanks Don Boose!) this engine is of course NOT a rotary engine, but a fixed, radial one, as is most evident by the cylinder heads and the manifolds and exhausts, which are mounted to the fuselage frame.

I stand corrected!
Bengt
Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
They are wonderful images, Bengt. This thread is a treasure house of aviation history information and images, especially for a Sopwith fan!

Many thanks for all of your excellent contributions.

Don
Google Adsense