PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Grumman A-6 (?) Intruder GPM

Hey all, first of all, I was looking over some of my old posts, and I was horrified how demanding and childish I seemed. I must apologize for those whom I might have offended, even though it was a couple of years ago. With that being said, lets return to the object of my posting. I just finished my Hobby Model Jaguar, being on my summer break from college. That turned out really well, and I was encouraged to give the A-6 a shot. This will be a very quick build, as I head back to college in about 2 weeks. Anyway to the build. First and foremost, I don't think I have seen a completed GPM A-6. I have seen two or three build threads, but they have all seemed to gotten cut off mid-build. I'm really hoping to complete this, and before I leave would be amazing. Working on posting pictures, I currently have the cockpit mostly done, with one seat, rudder pedals, and the instrument panel hood/HUD to finish up. GPM has this listed as a Lvl. 3 model, but, honestly, it doesn'tI seem all that hard. Formers are minimal, and though the wing-fold mechanism could prove to be a b***h to build, it can be built without. A little background for me.. I've been modeling for probably 4 years now, starting out with Fiddlers Green (Love em!), and then finishing the GPM F/A-18 last summer just before I left for college. I fell in love with the Halinski F6F-3 model, but got bogged down building it, and its sitting in my parts bin now, along with a MM Fokker EIV, and as of today a MM ME-410, due to some ill fitting parts and canopy. Just finished the HM Jag, and am waiting for the canopy to come. I don't usually bring models with me to college, so winter and summer breaks are usually the only time I am able to build. Photos coming soon...
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM

my work space. Kinda messy, but it works well for me

Cockpit parts, with the tub made and first seat made/installed

Instrument panel, working on installing in now
Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
looking good so far. Good luck meeting the dead line.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Coolness! You don't have to apologize for your old posts - it reflects growth more than anything! I'm a bit younger that you are, but I shared the same feeling when I looked at my old Zealot (Cardmodels.net) posts. But I think it's pretty cool, seeing how youth slowly grow and reach that level of maturity.

That's unfortunate that you're unable to build models in college, but it's also understandable. How'd you get around doing such a feat? I'm going to be a senior in High school this year, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to cope in college - without building models. Sigh...

Really excellent job with the A-6's office! You've probably built more kits than me, but I have to say that GPM's kits look easy, but I think you'll be fighting more with the design than anything else. I tried building GPM's phantom a while back, and I think I blew a gasket (D. But GPM's kits usually look really nice with all their realistic textures and cool shading and such!

Say, can we see some pictures of your finished builds? And you've got to finish that
F-6F! If I remember correctly, I saw your old build on Zealot a while back, (along with the Halinski Zero?), and I was impressed!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Cmdr, it's nice to see how you progress and finish it in two week. I have this same model a couple of years back but did not dare to even start as I have seen on this forum other member's comments on how difficult to build it. Now, I'm planning to build it in 1/200 but have to get myself fully prepared and informed of the steps. So I'll be watching with great interest and attention. Wish you success in this one!

Papermate
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Excellent!!

Love this build...thanks for sharing picture of our work with us!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
Coolness! You don't have to apologize for your old posts - it reflects growth more than anything! I'm a bit younger that you are, but I shared the same feeling when I looked at my old Zealot (Cardmodels.net) posts. But I think it's pretty cool, seeing how youth slowly grow and reach that level of maturity.

That's unfortunate that you're unable to build models in college, but it's also understandable. How'd you get around doing such a feat? I'm going to be a senior in High school this year, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to cope in college - without building models. Sigh...

Really excellent job with the A-6's office! You've probably built more kits than me, but I have to say that GPM's kits look easy, but I think you'll be fighting more with the design than anything else. I tried building GPM's phantom a while back, and I think I blew a gasket (D. But GPM's kits usually look really nice with all their realistic textures and cool shading and such!

Say, can we see some pictures of your finished builds? And you've got to finish that
F-6F! If I remember correctly, I saw your old build on Zealot a while back, (along with the Halinski Zero?), and I was impressed!
Gotta say its nice to see that I'm not the only kid on here! lol, I managed quite well with no modeling, you get used to it I'll post pics of my Jag soon, the F6F is on semi perm. hold, I tried to scratch build a wing fold mechanism, as well as gun bays. Believe it or not, I have had very little problem so far with this. Some of the bulkheads were small, and the instructions were a little vague, but its coming together quite well. Papermate, I've looked at your thread, its very interesting and very well done! Thanks for all the encouragement, more pictures very soon!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM

more photos as promised..

Finished cockpit and fuselage skin

I wasn't able to take pictures of my progress on the nose, but it was a straightforward affair, just with the bulkheads being a little small.

the next two fuselage sections, this part was pretty confusing, especially the part right behind the cockpit, mostly due to the cutouts for the main landing gear bays, and the air intakes.

Its looking really big, and its interesting to see it next to the Jaguar. Its much bulkier, and the detail level is higher
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.63 MB
Greetings.

this cockpit looks excellent, the seats are magnificent
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks for your encouragement!
Google Adsense