Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale

Messerschmitt ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale

Model by
Rewelacji Kartonowych
Tadeusza Czekawego

The Me1101 is one of the German WW2 project planes that actually was built. It did not fly though, but is the basis of many aircraft that followed. The photos of this aircraft are famous in that the show its lower fuselage exposing the engine. Also, you can see it after its capture and technical evaluation. The Bell company in the USA actually built a similar aircraft called the X-5, however it was built to research variable sweep on the wings. The basic layout was used by SAAB on the Tunan and the Grumann Jaguar. As well as the early Soviet jets ( heavily influenced by German engineering ). Other aspects of the plane made it to the NA F-86 Sabre as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_P.1101

The kit

Material
The kit is printed on large format card stock. The material is very grainy and wavy on the back side exposing coarse grain. The printed side is smooth. However, the colors ( the aircraft is really only shades of gray ) will come off if handled with the glue still wet ( As I learned the hard way ). Some parts are printed on standard thickness printer paper. I was puzzled as to why some of the fuselage forward sections were printed on that thin paper ( I laminated them onto the card stock to match the rest of the sections ).

Kit Design

This is a relatively simple design. There is little detail . It does have an Heinkel Hirth- He S 011 turbojet engine that can be built and fitted. The engine is very basic, but probably will make this a unique build. You can also build it with the lower half fuselage in place, but that will require modification as I am not sure if there is a good match between those sections. You can build it as a detachable unit.

Another item is the lack of fit between sections. Not sure why it was such a hard job (even before computer designs) to make sure that one round section fits into the next. Also, the forward fuselage could have used a few more sections for a smoother transition ( you will see later what I mean ).
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6614.jpg
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6615.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6616.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6617.jpg
Instructions and diagrams.
Eight sketches showing details of various sections plus a 3 view with part numbers. These are simple graphics and in some areas like the cockpit are actually confusing, so study them as best you can, but be prepared to experiment. You may end up with some parts you have no idea where they go or how. Look at photos of other builds.

Extras

There is a fine vacuformed canopy that is commercially available from GPM in Poland
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6618.jpg

Other builds of this kit

There are photos of the completed model in the gallery section of Konradus site. Use this as a building guide as well. I did not see a build log though.

http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=209523&t=209458#reply_209523

Initial impressions

If you are looking for prototype aircraft that is unique and relatively rare in paper, this one is OK. There is another version as a night fighter with the radar array in the nose from FLY, but I have not seen it built so I cannot compare. The cost of this kit is also low, so basically you get what you pay for. But for a quick and fun build it is enjoyable provided you know what you are doing.
Also, for the historically correct builders, the vertical tail German marking on the right side are backwards ( this is my second kit from Poland with this problem ). Not sure if it is carelessness or done on purpose.

More details later

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The finished example at Konradus looks like it came off well, so even with the kit shortcomings you listed, I think you will end up with a nice-looking model. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.65 MB
There is a build report over at kartonbau.de - just click here

The kit has some flaws.. but can turn out very nice !

happy glueing,
Wolfgang
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Interesting, I intent have build this model in GPM shop, thank's for excellent rewien...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
Isaac, I just went through the build on kartonbau.de site.
It looks to me like he built it as if it was a plastic kit.
Look at all the sanding, filling and spray painting. He paid
no attention to the original printing or the quality of the
paper. The end result is great but look at all the
extra things he had to do to get there.
Cheers
Bob
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I have this one sitting on the shelf. At some point I should get to it. I look forward to seeing a build report.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up Great reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by woppy73 View Post
There is a build report over at kartonbau.de - just click here

The kit has some flaws.. but can turn out very nice !

happy glueing,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Thank you for this link. I thought that site was not active anymore.

I will use that build log for reference. From the quick scan I just did, he indeed intended to completly modify this model and really build it like a plastic kit. Amazing effort. Also, he modified it to the T tail version.

He did not however round off the nose?

Great

Isaac
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Smile Fuselage

Construction

Fuselage

I decided to divide the fuselage assembly into 3 major sections:
The forward sections 1-4 will house the engine intake in the nose, the nose gear well and the cockpit.
The center structure includes the bulkhead to the rear of part 4 as well as the wing support, engine floor and rear bulkhead. It consist of internal parts only .
The center and rear fuselage skins. Those will be attached to the structure and forward section.
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6621.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6623.jpg

The center structure
Start with the center section structure. Those are laminated card that create the support piece to center, the rear and front. There will be 3 areas that are externally visible if you have an open engine compartment version as shown in this kit. You will see the lower rear of bulkhead W4. The round cylindrical inlet will go thru it. Then the floor part 8 that supports the wing box and the landing gear struts. You will need to add wood pieces as shown in the plan to provide support for the struts. To the rear, bulkhead W6 will form the back visible part.
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6619.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6620.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6632.jpg

Isaac
Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 AM

The forward sections 1-4

Not sure why parts 1 and 2 which form the nose of the aircraft were printed on very thin paper. So you need to glue it on cardstock. However, care has to be exercised since this is a very fibrous paper and started to breakdown on me at one location that got too much glue. Once dried, I repainted the sections silver, however, you can use the red extra that is provided to make it a red nose. Since this is a project plane, no one will argue with you about its paint scheme being authentic.

The problem is that parts 1,2,3 and 4 are all different mating diameters and will not fit as is. So I had to cut them on the bottom and mate each and later add the lower tab. Attach the bulkheads W1,2 and 3 inside. Note that bulkhead W4 is part of the center section and is not used yet.

Once all 4 parts are assembled, you may cut out the landing gear doors and the cockpit skins that will not be needed.

The Nose gear compartment is glued on.

Add some weight in the nose section 3 ( about 1 gram, or a small weight, I use piece from a fishing kit ) or else you will have a tail-seater.

The cockpit area is somewhat confusing even though there are very few parts here. Essentially there are the lower floor and sides cockpit walls that are glued to the inside of part 4, Then assemble dashboard and side lower panels and you can slide it in place and glue it. The seat and controls can be added much later on.

Lastly the round cylindrical engine intake is fitted. Again, it is the wrong diameter, so you will have to experiment to get the correct diameters front and back. Glue the forward intake first and then add glue to the back including the cylinder rear bulkhead.
ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6622.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6627.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6628.jpg

ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6635.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6639.jpg

ME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6641.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6646.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6648.jpgME-1101 Super model in 1/33 scale-dscf6649.jpg

I find it difficult to keep consruction clean with this kind of card stock.

Do your best

Isaac
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice graphics on this model. Odd about the that fuselage section. Is it possible that the grey piece printed on thin paper is intended to be a liner for the red nose ring?
Google Adsense