Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
A second model: the Komar is also available:
DRAF MODEL - Laserowe modelarstwo
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 AM

You can also ordered a german Doppelraad (1/33 and 1/50)at:
Home - Paperwarbirds
The model is not on the site , send an email for enquiries and to order it (6,80 euros + postage).
Raab Doppelraab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you, Jan, for hunting down the Graf model laser cut, 1:10 scale, "Komar" (Mosquito) as well - knew there were two of them.

Here is an opportunity to learn more about this glider, which looks a lot like a souped-up Grunau Baby:

As with the previous, Sroka, the Komar also exists as a GPM model in 1/33 scale:

In passing, Wikipedia notes that the actual name of the aircraft is IS-B (not 8) Komar. It is often misidentified. So often, it seems, that it has become the most well-known name.

It is intriguing to note that the glider was conceived and designed in the 1930s, before the war. Hence the similarity to the Grunau Baby, perhaps. But it was not developed until 1948, and was in use well into the 1960s.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-gis8_6.jpg   Sailplanes available?-gisb_3d.jpg   Sailplanes available?-b-komar-cover-small.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
The Sroka should make a beautiful combination with a PZL Wilga, IIRC, this was the most used glider tug in the eastern block.
BTW: Anybody knowing Martin Simmon´s 3 books about the history of sailplanes? An absolute must-have for anyone interested in this matter.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 AM

Sources for historic Polish gliders

Martin - thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I haven't got Martin Simmon's three books, but I realize they amount to a standard work, and the illustrations from them are widely seen on the web. Meanwhile, it has been most satisfying to search the web for good sources. I've come up with a few gold nuggets, and I will try to make them justice bit by bit.

Is this something like you envisaged for the Sroka?:

By good fortune, this photo forms the vignette of the best source I have found for Polish gliders:

Polish Sailplanes
In German
In Polish
In English (Google-translated)

This is a real goldmine for all those Polish gliders that have been up for discussion here, and for all the paper models of them available, mostly from GPM, but also from a few other sources.

For an overview of these paper models of Polish gliders, my quickest source is Slawomir Wojcik's Modellservice - "Segelflugzeuge" (a dedicated page for printed paper models of gliders, a feature which I haven't found anywhere else).

Note here, that the two laser-cut models from Draf Model, the IS-B Komar, and the SZD-15 Sroka, both can be had from Slawomir at the price of 45€ each (lower than the price quoted earlier in this thread).

The Sroka seems particularly interesting, and Slawomir supplies extra notes from the designer, about the building method, which is said to be much more like assemblying a jigsaw puzzle, than building a paper model. "The end result is as unique as it is interesting…".

Now, go study both the both these models at the site referred to above, "Polish sailplanes":

Komar (Mosquito) - as designed before the war (not previously linked to here).
Komar - as redesigned in 1948 (previously linked to).
Sroka (Magpie) - designed in 1956 as a replacement for the Komar (previously linked to).

Links are to the German versions. Please find the corresponding entries in the Polish or Google-translated English versions of Piotr P's list.

A teaser: Note the name of the designer of the Komar, Antoni Kocian. I hope to return to him shortly.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-ghol.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 06-27-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM

For the vintage sailplanes lovers , you have this very interesting forum (in french and german) with plenty of walk around and pictures.Very useful.
RETROPLANE.net :: Index
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM

A spin-off: Searching for the illusive Orlik

Thank you, Jan, for reminding me of the "Retroplane" site. It is such a beautiful place to be in, not least the background image of the forum! I iimmediately found this: "Olympic Orlik". Here's why I am so interested in that subject:

There are few more beautiful views in history of aeronautics than the gull-winged high-performance sailplanes of the 1930s. In this thread, several of us (me among them) have professed a particularly soft spot for the German Reiher from 1937. The last photo on this page is a classic:

The Reiher certainly became something every designer strived to equal for a long time. The nose profile is extremely modern, some versions had laminar-flow wing profiles, others had variable camber wings. Read all about these advanced technical features at another of my absolute favourite sources for historical material about gliders & sailplanes:

Scale Soaring UK - Reiher

Incidentally, I now note that the Scale Soaring UK site has a link to the Retroplane site, and their collection of photos of the Reiher:

Retroplane - Reiher III D-6045

There is no papermodel of the Reiher to be found. But there does exist (or at least has existed) a papermodel of a Polish sailplane from the same year, 1937, namely the Orlik (a small spotted Eagle), designed by Antoni Kocjan, very much akin to the German Reiher, and with exceptionally fine qualities as well:

This beautiful model stood out from the back cover of one of the many GPM models of Polish gliders encountered during this search. But it turned out to be impossible to get hold of a copy of the 1/33 scale model of the Orlik, since it was originally published as part of the GPM Magazine "Kartonowka", nr. 2-3/2003, no longer available from the publisher.

I have found only one place that ostensibly carries, or have carried, this issue, namely the US-based Card Model Shop, run by Robert Marek. I have ordered the issue, paid for it, and received an automatic email reply. I am now eagerly awaiting a life-sign from Robert himself (anyone done business with the Card Model Shop?), and of course - eventually & hopefully - the thud in the mailbox signalling the arrival of the magazine itself.

So, here's is the actual contribution to this thread - a possible source for the Orlik II card model.
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-reiher4.jpg   Sailplanes available?-orlik-kartonowka-small.jpg   Sailplanes available?-kartonowka-2-3-2003.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM

This model of the Orlik is still available here:
GPM - modele kartonowe
I bought it a few weeks ago.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM

I seem to need your constant help to overcome my inability to find things. It's becoming downright embarrassing. At least it resulted in two sources for another sailplane model. Thank you, Jan, for your help - again! - Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 06-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Sailplanes have a elegance to them over other aircraft. Even the name "sailplane" so smarter. To glid with the wind in silenceand use the wind like they do. I can watch our Red Tail hawks all day when they seem to hover in one spot scaning the ground far below looking for dinner. Maybe I'm crazy but for me there is something I don't know what it is about these beautiful large birds and they of course remind me of the sailplanes. Real beauty. Nothing like it anywhere. No idea where all that came from or why.
Google Adsense