PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Leif and others:
I have an old HP deskjet 3930 and Adobe X for printing. I just got 6 pages of 11 by 17 inch card stock to cut down to 8.5 by 17inches. I have been trying to get my printer and computer to print to the scale of 1/16 ( I am tires of 1/250 cannons and boats) and I realy want to try this wonderful sailplane in the large size.
Does anyone know how I can talk to my computer to get it to print the extra long page. I have new ink in the printer so I can't afford to take the PDF file to Office max to have them print it for money.
I relize that if worse comes to worse I can cut the card stock to 8.5 by 14 legal size and print fit to page and have a smaller scale however 1/16 scale calles to me.
Thanks,
MILES
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Miles, When you send your files to the printer you should see a pop-up window with a button for "preferences". That button will bring up another window with a number of tabs. One of those should be for "paper/quality". That button will bring up a third window which should have a "custom" button next to the box for picking the paper size. Use the custom button and key in the size that you want to print.

If these directions do not work for you try noodling through the various options accessed from the "preferences" button.

Hope this helps.

Curt
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Dear Curt:
O fuge, Custom will allow me to set up to and not over 14" long. So close but so far I will see if anyone has a work around before downsizing to Legal paper size.
Thanks for the idea,
MILES
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
On my Mac and Acrobat I do it in the Page Setup menu. Like this:

Is that of any help at all in Windows?

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Inka II Slovenian 1937-38 vintage glider-page-setup-l3.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Dear Lief:
Looks like different computers and printers do different things, Looks like HP limits me to 14 inches.
Thanks,
MILES
I will print out on 8.5 by 14 build then when I can afford it take to copy shop to run on 11 by 17
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Dear Leif:
I cut the big cardstock down to 8.5 by 14 inches and printed it with fit to page on my HP deskjet printer looks good at the 600dpi setting of the pdf. Question? is the rope cable exposed in the inside of the cockpit? At that time would it have been hemp rope or cotton rope or metal cable?
I have got the urge to thread some tan or brown or white or sliver carpet thread onto a sewing needle and poke hole and lace it. Started to cut out part No.1 then before going to much farther desided to put the cockpit together first. hope to do pictures on this build. hope someone nows the color of the rigging? Iwill try to match your printed rope if nothing else.
Thanks again for the model,
MILES
Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 AM

Good question about the wiring inside the cockpit. Yes, it would be visible, and it would be stranded steel wire, fairly thin, and shaped into loops around eyelets at the ends and some kind of fixtures screwed into the wooden stringers. But at this scale (even 1/16) a thread (not thick; these wires were 3 mm tops = 0.2 mm at 1/16 scale) will do the trick. Anything that suggests stranded steel wire (grey or something like that; with a sheen if possible). Appropriate knots at the ends will serve as fixtures, eyelets and whatnot.

Good of you to consider this. Does a lot for realism.

What you could do, is to glue the thread to the inside parts, and then print an extra copy, cut out the framework only, and glue it on top of the thread.

Better yet, print two extra copies, cut out two layers of framework, and glue one them to the inside part. Then glue the thread in place (oversize, sticking out at each end). Then on top of this glue the other layer of framework. You don't have to worry about matching the color of the printed wire (it's not correct in any case), or even that it is still there under the thread, since it works fine as a realistic shadow!

That would be really nice! (And not too difficult either, right?). Remember to check the width of the seat support part. It would require some small amount of trimming (two layers worth of framing each side).

- L.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Dear Leaf:
Off to the sewing store got to go to work first though. I know there is silver thread. I had thought about the framework layering had not thought about two layers as a sanwitch.
Thanks so much,
MILES
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Dear Lief:
Had one extra card stock so I printed page two again to cut out frame. hope to take pictures on this build may I post them here or in a new thread?
Are the control wires all inside the Plane? I can't tell from the photos.
I found in the sewing stuff some silver gray carpet thread.
More to come, Nice model, Thanks,
MILES
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 AM

The control wires would have been inside the plane, except for the rudder. They would have been on the outside at the very end of the tail.

If you really want to go that detailed, you should make a rudder horn, and run the rudder wires from that into the fuselage around the middle of the stab or something like that (fairly straigt line, meeting the tapered fuselage side).

Easiest way is to decide where the control wires leave the tail, run a long strand of thread each side throught a hole, and glue it on the inside, leaving a long end hanging. When the rudder (with horns) is attached, you can tie it up.

Aileron control would have been by way of pushrod or wires inside the fuselage, up through the high wing moung and wires running through pulleys all the way out to the ailerons. There you may make the same thing as for the rudder, top and bottom of the wings. Two strands of wire top and bottom each side, running to a rudder horn around the mid-span of the aileron.

Elevator control most likely would have been by way of pushrod all the way, inside the fuselage, not visible from the outside.

When you've finished the model here, I'll look forward to a photo or so in the Inka thread as well!

Until then, I'll eagerly following progress here. - L.
Google Adsense