PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad

Having finished my last project I asked my son (8) what I should do next. "A Spitfire," he said, "and can I help?" So we set out to do a Spit together.

I had plenty of Spits on my hard drive but opted, as usual, for a new purchase, the Ladndad Mk.XIV. I'm guessing this is not an ecardmodels bestseller partly because of the product shot, which looks a bit ... weird. Was it a hastily built model or a bad kit? Only one way to find out, and anyway the Griffon Spits have not received their fair share of attention from other card model designers.

Day 0 (pic 1): The model comes on 2 sheets and looks nice enough. First task was for dad to do a little repainting. Ladndad's color scheme looked a little garish to me, so I toned down the camo colors and insignia red, borrowing the palette from a Marek Mk.IX. While I was at it I altered the codes to an RCAF 414 Sqn machine.

Day 1: Lad went to work building the radiators and gluing the bulkheads to thick card while dad built one of the wings. The wing airfoil as designed was too thick for my taste, so rather than align the trailing edges, I let the upper trailing edge hang 1.5mm past the lower and trimmed to fit. We'll see if this causes fit problems later. The boxed-in wheel wells are a nice touch.

Day 2 (pic 2): Lad got distracted by video games, but Dad built the first couple of fuselage tubes. Fuselage parts fit okay so far except I found bulkhead D a bit undersized.

Day 3: Both of us got distracted by video games.

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-img_3489-640x.jpg   Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-img_0034-640x.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Great way to build a Lad n Dad model, K5!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent project!

Don
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM

Day 5: Son has laminated the wheels, dad has most of the fuselage done (pic 1).

The fuselage is going together generally okay. One issue is that on some of the sections, the bottom edge where the paper is supposed to join to make a tube is not straight (pic 2). If built as drawn this involves warping the paper into a compound curve to make the section. Can't say whether this was a layout error or an intentional flouting of the laws of physics, but either way it's a hassle for the builder.

Fuselage shape seems not too bad, but there is very little panel detail and the markings are in inaccurate locations, both clearly to avoid aligning graphics across part joins as much as possible. The positions of the horizontal stabilizer and cylinder bank bulges are wrong. The wing is okay but no spar is provided to set the right dihedral.

I'm keeping a running tally of mods that would have to be made to do a proper build of this kit, only some of which I'm implementing on this one. So far it includes:

- add spar to wing
- delete wing leading edge stiffeners
- straighten fuselage joins
- repaint:
--- add/correct panel detail
--- correct markings
--- color joining strips to match adjacent parts
- lower position of cylinder covers
- raise position of horiz stabs
- revise wing fairings, add fairings for tail feathers
- move tailwheel aft, add doors

If after the build, the basic shapes show enough promise, maybe I'll revise the kit and rebuild if the list doesn't grow too much longer.

Finally here's a pic dad once took of a similarly configured Spit that he's using for reference/inspiration (pic 3).

August
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-img_0036.jpg   Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-not-straight.jpg   Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-spit_mv293.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Nice work August. I still haven't finished the Lad N Dad King Air I started for a friend.

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Watching your build with interest.

Wyvern
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Distracted by work for a few days, but I built a spar to lock the wings into something like the correct dihedral and joined them to the completed fuselage. It is starting to look like a plane, maybe even a Spitfire. Not super thrilled with the fidelity with which the nose is modeled, and there is another laws-of-physics violation in the frontmost piece, but for such a simple model it's looking okay. Dad is now doing the tail feathers while lad works on the wheels and prop blades.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire XIV Ladndad by Dad & Lad-img01193-20121206-0725.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
But is Lad happy with it? That's the important thing
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM

We took a little time out to build Lad one of the Trotskiy flyables -- more payoff for him -- but he's hanging in there!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Lad and Dad Building Together

This sounds fun, August,

I wish I had a son to share my interest. My two teenage daughters are not in the least interested, although I have showed them some easy Canon Papercraft animals and figures.

The Spitfire model is coming along very nicely. It is a very nice camo livery. Thanks for sharing your combined progress - I look forward to seeing more.

Bengt in Stockholm
Google Adsense