PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint

Although I'm still in the middle of a Ladndad Spitfire, I couldn't resist starting on the next project.

Their Avian actually was the first Ladndad kit I started, earlier this year, and I liked the kit but I moved houses while building it and it was a casualty of the move. Since I have to start over I decided to do some mods. I've scaled it up to 1/33 because I found 1/48 a bit small for this plane. My repaint is of C-GAVB of the great Canadian bush pilot Wop May during his 1929 mercy flight to deliver emergency diptheria medicine to northern Alberta. I had to do a new fin/rudder and I'll need to alter the landing gear but otherwise the configuration is the same. I've laid out the model to print on one 8.5x17" sheet that I'll cut from 11x17" stock, and one 8.5x11" sheet.

This kit went together fine the first time, but I'll probably add carry-through spars for the wing to keep them straight in this scale. I'd consider building a detailed Cirrus engine for it if there is another kit out there that has one.

August
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint-avian-g-cavb-1-33-p1web.jpg   Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint-avian-g-cavb-1-33-p2-web.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I am very happy to see with what ease people these days routinely scale up models and repaint them. Very encouraging! I very much like your choice of model, with the history attached.

As for the Cirrus engine:

1) Bernie did a pretty detailed Cirrus engine for his PSW-50 build a while ago. I remember searching out a couple of photos for him that could be used. See this post and the following.

Rereading that section of Bernie's thread I didn't remember doing all this work. Seems to be a goldmine, I'd have to say in retrospect. Here's a kind of drawing that might prove helpful:

2) There is a GPM model of the Gipsy Moth. Underneath the engine cowling it actually contains a pretty detailed Cirrus engine (I have the kit, so I can vouch for it), including individual cylinders and modeling each cylinder cooling fin. Should be good for you, if you'd care to invest in the model. If so, you would get two splendid models to build to boot...

The GPM engine model isn't so good on the crankcase however, so perhaps you'd be just as well off modeling the engine yourself. You obviously have the competence!

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 12-09-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Gentlemen, Thank you both for the information and links.

The 1920's and 1930's were a fascinating and dangerous time in aviation history, and this thread prompted me to research Wop May, whom I had never heard of. He lead an incredible life.

Cheers from Texas
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Wyvern
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Leif - wow! Thank you for the detailed and thorough response. Those posts were a gold mine indeed -- heck, those photos practically designed the engine for me. Confronted with a post that helpful, there seemed only one thing to do, so I whacked out the design and am halfway through the test build. Here's a photo of the block and first test cylinder. My Cirrus will be simplified compared to what you get in a GPM kit, probably around 30 pieces. Definitely will dress up the model. Thanks for getting me started! When the kinks are worked out I'll post the parts to the downloads section.

Gotta get that GPM Moth kit too. Looks like a honey.

August
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint-img_3507.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hah! That's the way to go - well done, and thank you. Looking forward very much indeed to the download when you're done. Once again, well done! - Leif
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have enjoyed your threads 55083 (I see you are a Hurricane enthusiast). It is always a pleasurable and enlightening experience to see the synergy that comes from Leif's interactions with skilled paper modelers and aviation history connoisseurs.

I look forward to seeing this model develop.

Don
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Work took me out of action for a couple of weeks, but I did get the Cirrus test build done. This is just a basic crankcase, cylinders and intake manifold, without accessories, wiring, plumbing, and other details that seem to vary from one installation to another or that I would likely add in some medium other than paper. For a more advanced model or modeler, it might at least be a basis for further detailing. I'll try to get some instructions written up and figure out how to upload as a little Xmas present for you all.

August
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint-img_3508.jpg   Avro Avian Ladndad rescale/repaint-img_3510.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Very nice!

Wyvern
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 PM

I"ve uploaded the Cirrus engine model to the downloads (correctly I hope) and it is awaiting approval and release. Happy holidays to all!

Now, back to the Avian ...

August
Google Adsense