PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF

Since the moment Leif showed his recolor of Marek's Mustang I really wanted to build this plane. Unfortunatelly Leif put his redesign of the cockpit on hold so I had to do quick and dirty change to the model in order to accomodate the pilot. My solution (consulted with Leif) was to simply lower the cockpit floor (discarded formers K1A and K1B plus lenghtened verticals in parts K14, K15 and K17) and move forward the instrument panel assembly. I chopped off fronts of parts K14, K15 and K17 so I wouldn't have to worry about positioning of former E which simply was glued into the front of part 5a.
As you can see, now pilot fits nicely into the cockpit
My plan is to build both P-40 and Mustangat the same time to get some variety - will see how it goes
Attached Thumbnails
Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-01.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-02.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-03.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-04.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-05.jpg  

Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-06.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-07.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-08.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-09.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mbm_leif-ohlson-mustang-i-ag522-10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cool Mike look forward to this one
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hooray! I am delighted to see this model in such good hands. The sand and spinach Mustang has always been a favorite of mine and I look forward to seeing this one take shape.

Don
Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys.
Combination of those colors, guns and of course panda bear was the reason I just couldn't wait any longer
Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hey Mike, that's a GREAT solution! Also very true to scale. In the real plane there was no floor to the cockpit - the "floor" was actually the top of the wing center section, and the control column was mounted to the wing, while everything else (hanging pedals, other controls, instrument panel, etc.) was integral to the fuselage, built in two halves. Those two big units, fuselage and wing, were built separately, then joined. The engine section, too, was built separately, as a third major component.

Any chance of your drawing up that modification and supplying it as an add-on via Chris? It should be much appreciated by everyone interested in the Allison Mustang, and, really, would mark a great improvement on Marek's design. If the rest of the build works out, you will have shown that a perfectly good Allison Mustang is there to be had.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-26-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
...Any chance of your drawing up that modification and supplying it as an add-on via Chris? It should be much appreciated by everyone interested in the Allison Mustang, and, really, would mark a great improvement on Marek's design. If the rest of the build works out, you will have shown that a perfectly good Allison Mustang is there to be had.

Leif
That is an option, but I must work out what went wrong with the allingnment of parts K14, K15 and K17. After I lenghtened the verticals, positioning of former E was really off - hence the chopped off ends of those parts....
Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Sideview any help?

Hello Mike. I think I see your problem. A sideview in 1:33 (as well as I could make it; use the pdf) would be of some help, perhaps? Then you could just shove the bottom curved part of K14 & K15 downwards, and make it just the right length, too. And the floor of course would have to be longer, but perhaps you already done that?

Again, I believe this is an excellent and just right solution to perhaps the main problem with this kit. And, again, if you make it a small add-on, it could be used for every version and repaint, too.

-L.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-sideview-1-33.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sideview 1-33 small file size.pdf (62.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-26-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM

I think the length of the floor stays the same, at least that's how it looks like when built (edit: just looked at the photos again and the floor is a tiny bit short so you are correct - it needs lengthening...). Problem is with the length and probably the angle of the front of parts K14, K15 and K-17. I have to play with it in more organized fashion to solve it - right now I just wanted to do was to allow pilot to sit comfortably in the cockpit
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Ok guys.
I modified the cockpit and this time put it on paper
Extra sheet containing entire cockpit is printing as we speak and tomorow I will start building one more time to verify that everything fits.
If it does and looks passable, I will post it here in the download section so keep your fingers crossed
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Take 2

Modified cockpit has been rebuilt and as you can see on the photos, pilot fits into it perfectly
I skipped rudder pedals on purpose -they will not be visible anyway.
I have the PDF file with modifications ready, but I don't know how to upload it here to the site. I'm going to contact Rick for help...
Attached Thumbnails
Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-11.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-12.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-13.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-14.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-15.jpg  

Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-16.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-17.jpg   Marek/Leif Mustang Mk I 613 Squadron RAF-mustang-i-ag522-18.jpg  
Google Adsense