PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work so far on this classic, Don!

Don (too)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
It's all your fault Don!

I had to download it and am now contemplating the construction of this wee winged thing. The last one I made was considerably larger, 1/72.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Many thanks everyone for your comments and interest in the Sunderland build. Your 1/72 model must have been huge, Jay! In 1/200 the wingspan should be just under 7 inches (6.77 inches to be exact). The wingspan of mine in the end is going to be 7 inches exactly, so it's a little bigger than 1/200. The only fit problems I've come across so far has been with the main canopy which has to be trimmed for a good fit, and also the pontoons - the topside front is squared off, and the bottom side front is pointed. Even though I haven't cut them out yet, I can see that the horizontal stabilizers will also need to be trimmed so that they'll lay...well, horizontally.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Umm? I've got a small problem printing these Micromodels.

I'm using an Epson RX685, but I think it's a pretty standard Epson print wizard.

If I opt to print just an unedited single sheet, it will blow up the picture to fill an A4 card. From my recollection of MicroModels as a kid, I'm sure they should be more postcard size.

If I opt to print two (or more) pages on a sheet to get nearer the postcard size, they will be auto rotated and CROPPED to fit. The original artwork using the maximum area available on the cards, this minimal cropping results in bits of the design going missing.

So far, the only way I've found to get an original size print is to open each page in MS Paint (Which does seem to pixelate it a bit) and print from there. This results in an original size print in the middle of an A5 card, but it is a bit of a waste of card stock. IE: Just one 6" x 4.75" print per card.

Thinking in terms of pasting two pages into a 'paint' file in order to get two pages per A4 card, but still worried about the low res pixelation syndrome with MS.Paint.. Any one got any better suggestions.

I have Coral Draw 4.0, Fotosketcher, Gimp, MS Office, Open office, Slim publisher, Photo Express 3.0, Inkscape, Paint.net available, but don't claim to be proficient with any of them. Oh, and the full Epson suite of course.

Johnny.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM

I've sort of sorted the problem, but I strongly suspect there will be a better way ... so I'm still open to suggestions.

I've fed each page into Paint.net, Increased the canvass size by 10% to give each card a white border. This gives the Epson print wizard something to crop, without chopping bits off the picture proper.

The end result is two pages on an A4 card. They have still been enlarged slightly to 6.5" x 5.1", but none of the design is lost to the cropping.

Close enough for me to proceed, but I'd still like to know how to do it properly (Without spending a fortune on Photoshop that is!).

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
According to the Micromodels site H1 Flying Boats, Modelcraft, World of Micromodels the size of the original cards was 9 x 13 cm.

I printed mine on letter sized paper, 2 pages per sheet. To do this, I unclicked the center image option (default setting), and set the top margin to 1 inch. After printing the first page, I fed the page back in, oriented 180 out from the first page, and then printed the second page. As the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat", but that's how I did it. Does your printer software allow you to manually set the percentage if you unclick "fit to print" or "shrink to fit"?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Hmm? Even a straight unmolested print from Paint comes out as 12 x 15cm centered, but I guess that's close enough. Brilliant idea rotating 180' and feeding through again for next page though. I'll have a meddle to see if I can uncentralise it and adjust margins. I don't doubt that Paint.net will let me do that, but if not, I'm sure the all powerful GIMP will sort things out, and probably won't mess with the pixelation too mch either..

I was really just being lazy and looking for a way to simply print from the original files. I'm busy sorting the FG Gypsy van to bring some 3D relief to the decorative woodwork.

Johnny.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Hi,

Typing in a search for Micromodels should lead those interested into finding more models by them. They have all kinds, but not all are on the internet. Some are being cleaned up and being sold again. Great that you found the Catalina one too.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM

DT ... Click on Don's link in post #16.

It give's a complete history and database.

Many of the pictures are useable to print out.

Johnny.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Don,

It was the old Airfix kit with the cockpit and interior bits from White Ensign, Eduard and Aires. The fuselage was just over 14 inches long with a wingspan of just under 19 inches. With the aerial set mounted on the top of the fuselage it looked like it was a radio controlled model or something.

A collector in San Francisco bought it from me "shortly" after I built it.
Google Adsense