Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Oh for a 1:32 or 1:33 Sunderland
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.11 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I've sort of sorted the problem, but I strongly suspect there will be a better way ... so I'm still open to suggestions.

I've fed each page into Paint.net, Increased the canvass size by 10% to give each card a white border. This gives the Epson print wizard something to crop, without chopping bits off the picture proper.

The end result is two pages on an A4 card. They have still been enlarged slightly to 6.5" x 5.1", but none of the design is lost to the cropping.

Close enough for me to proceed, but I'd still like to know how to do it properly (Without spending a fortune on Photoshop that is!).

Johnny.
On all the Micromodel scans I have, I create a blank A4 publication in MS Publisher. Insert Picture | From File. Right click the image, select Format Picture. On the Size tab, set the size to 9cm x 16 cm.

I do this with all the scans in a series, then print it to PDF ( I use the free PrimoPDF). I then have one pdf file for each kit or series of kits. Saving the original publisher file I can add/subtract scans at will.

This option is also available on the free office software (like OpenOffice/StarOffice).
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Thanks for the information guys,

I was able to find a micromodels DH Mosquito. I wasn't sure if the parts and fit were
great being so old...(over 50 years ago). It went together pretty well. I think one of members
has a better Mossie in 1/72 in the downloads.

I used Kancho's Catalina and scaled it down from 1/72 to 1/200th. It was more of a challenge
especially the floats and inner supports for the colored skins. My post here at Paper Modelers
of my 1/200 "Cat" is fuzzy...so it's time for a new camera.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Hi Hancop,

OK, so MS Publisher isn't as dear as Photoshop, but it's all the file reformatting that I was trying to avoid.

As it happens, I do have Publisher 2000 on board, and half a dozen or so PDF jugglers, so I can have a go your way too. After visiting World of Micromodels, I've got a lot more card sets to reformat now.

I keep collecting various PDF apps, but somehow don't find the time to evaluate them so I can drop off the less useful ones. Last week I downloaded one that looked very promising ... 'Advanced PDF Utilities Free' ... From the write up it looks like it should cover everything so I can drop all the others, But, I can't get it to even start up. Tried re-installing it several times now. It seems to install OK, and all the files are in place in Windows/programs, but no matter which shortcut or .exe file I click on, absolutely nothing happens.

I'm also fighting 'Full up' hard drives now as well. Why is it that the web wants to flood you with highly desirable downloads, when your hard drives are full and you're too busy elsewhere to deal with it all? Winter comes fast up here in the mountains, so my old 4x4 must be sorted and ready to use before it hits hard.

Johnny.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I saw a 1Tbyte external hard-drive last week on sale. I should have bought it. This hobby is a good one for filling all available memory ...

Have we had any progress on the subject of this thread?
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Your build is very clean and well executed, and your camerawork is great!
Love the old Micromodel aircraft. They presumed amazing contours could be formed with a single piece of paper. BTW, I think this was the Mark 1 Sunderland - just sliding hatches for the gun position on top - nothing like a turret. The original designer usually worked from a few photos, or someone else's model. Might be possible to identify the actual photo that governed the orginal design.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I agree, Rob (and thank you for your nice comments. That is the first time I have had anyone praise my photography). I think it is a Mk I, too. I am going to enlarge the "blisters" ever so slightly, print them, and roll a hump into them before gluing to the fuselage for a nice 3D effect.

No progress since the photos, VK. Yesterday was 6+ hrs of football (go Giants!), and today was a 12 hr shift. Tuesday is another 12 hr shift, but I'll be back at it on Wednesday (in between lawn mowing, and a hospital visit - my mother, just a touch of pneumonia, but at 87 even a cold can be serious). Any thoughts on clear plastic propeller discs, versus the kit props? The Sunderland will be displayed "in flight" with the cover page making up the top of the base.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Prop disks or propellors is your choice. Frankly leaving the props off entirely would make it look more like the cover art. But it's your choice.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Marked up Plastic disks is the way to go if it's displayed in flight, methinks.
Better get going Don, I've got mine all printed up ready for when I've finished the Caravan.

Still working on the van VK, but meantime here's the little one ya gave me ...

Keep on snippin'

Johnny.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Whilst browsing the interwebs I found this photo on "The Sunderland Site". Looks like the inspiration for the cover art.

Hope to see more photos of the model soon.

Curt
Google Adsense