PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
use a lot of blades,.. and slice through the paper gently,.. making a few passes if needed,..
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
You picked a challenging model for your second build, and it really came out pretty good. You should be proud. I think your philosophy of making sure you finish what you start is smart. I have many partially completed models that I plan on finishing "someday", but it seems that day never comes. There is always something else that catches my eye, and I move on. But really....I will finish them someday. Really. I hope you can maintain your discipline - it ain't easy.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
When I started modeling, I kept going bigger.
Enlarging every model, trying to make things easier.
But you know what? It just makes it worse.

I'm not saying you should build small...I HATE small parts!
but smaller scales tend to help hide imperfections
and its probably good training.

Anyway, I guaranty the real Duck was all full of wrinkles
so your build is just hyper realistic!

By the way, where did you get the figure cutouts?
I like the artwork.
Can you share the designs?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 AM

Hello Wad Cutter,

If You want I can give some advices ( if You don't want - don't read this:D )

Don't hurry with cutting parts - do it slow but precisiely. You need good eyes, steady hands and pratctice, practice, practice...

Most important thing is shaping the part. Parts can't be just fold by one move. You must do it gently, in small steps after cut but before glue. Shaping so long until the parts will hold shape on formers without glue. Must remeber it's sensitive paper. No pressing force Use different tools for folding and rolling the parts like pens, wires, ruler. Roll the part on soft surface.
You can lightly moistened the part on non printed side. Willl be easier.

Retouching is the thing wich rised finish effect too.
I suggesting to use water colours, but all the parts must be retouched.
Its really good "habit" on the future.

I think the 1/50 scale is good for begging, but it must be a simple model.
IMO biplanes aren't good too start...

Regards and good luck!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 AM

i use acrylic paint for "edge coloring",.. and always mix my paint to match the colors that are printed,.. its tricky but with practice you can match accurately with just using the primary colors, along with some white, grey, and very dark brown, or black
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Yes, mixing is a must, there's no right ready colors. I use acrylic and watercolurs, depending of effect wich I want to get.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
rockpaperscissor
My standing rule is once the blade hits the paper, then I stay with it for fear of not finishing it. I keep a folder of models I want to do next. It’s getting real big.
airdave
The figure cutout out came with the FG model. FG is real good about these. Many of there models have them. I’m glad you like them.
jjb89 & HMCS
Advices is something I want above all. You guys have been doing this for a long time and I enjoy watching the different builds. In some cases I will make a fold for a build and when needed I go back to it for help. Also asking for advices. I’m just a beginner and want to learn this art form. Willgoat has been kind enough to help me as some many of you. He is a great teacher. I have started the retouching of the edges with a set of color pencils. I have seen other models that didn’t and it really shows up. Not sure if I get all of the edges but I try. Water colors is something I haven’t thought of. I guess if you can match the color of the part you working on. I also bought a few Sharpie Paint pens in basic colors but haven’t used them yet. I guess I will have to look into acrylic paints. I know nothing about this or the mixing of them. So much to learn and so little time. I really wish I had found this hobby and this forum long ago. There is a wealth of information in here. I’m still learning about the cutting. Slow and steady is correct and the shaping is key. If I find myself in a hurry I back off and rethink what I’m doing or go for a walk. Jr. told me a long time ago-it’s not a race. The Duck had a lot of fairings that were hard as hell to get the paper to obey. I like the idea about lightly moistening of the paper. I started off this hobby with bare bone basic tools. Toddy I have enough to open a small doctors or vets office. The hardware and hobby stores has become a second home. That and searching on line. My wife read through some of your comments here about my Duck and the Piper Cub and as a surprise she bought me some self closing twisters and one with it’s own stand to act as a third hand. Thank you guys for all the help, advise and the great ideas. Please don't stop. wc
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
Good job John. I knew you would get the hang of it.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Thanks Jr. I owe a lot to you for all the help with the Piper Cub. You remember how I struggled with that model. Now working on a 1933 Stearman with a lot of help from Willygoat. Thank God for good friends. Still have problems but I'll get there. How about you? Are you coming back to modeling yet? Have you been working on anything? Good hearing from you. Thanks again. wc
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sorry that I missed this thread, Wad Cutter. I was out of the net for several weeks.

Anyway, belated congratulations on completing the build. Looks great. I look forward to seeing many more in the future.

Don
Google Adsense