Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Looking great SF......Rich
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Attaching spar sections to fuselage and engines

Attaching spar sections to fuselage and engines

The time has come to start gluing these pieces together to get this model finished. At this point I start working on several areas at the same time. Fuselage, engines, stabilizers,landing gear to name a few.

This image shows a dry fit of the complete wing spar with the fuselage and main engine locations. THERE IS A FRONT and rear to these pieces, pay attention to which is which.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-000-anhedrial-labeled-640.jpg

I cut into the fuselage using x-acto and scissors, I begin to remove the elongated rectangles that mark the location of the center section of the wing spar.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-001-640.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-002-640.jpg

Removing the 2 pieces and making a dry test fit.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-003-640.jpg

Once satisfied with the fit, I glue the middle spar section into place. This shows the center section temporarily filled with scrap pieces to help it maintain shape until it's dried in place in the fuselage.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-004-640.jpg

I do the same thing with the engines, remove the spar positioning boxes
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-006-640.jpg

and insert the correct wing spar piece.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-007-640.jpg

Please note that the spar IS NOT in its final position in this image.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-007a-640.jpg

Note how it is slightly warped because of the tight fit....I glue it in place and with the glue still wet, and insert several pieces of scrap card board to hold it in shape until dry.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-008-640.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-009-640.jpg

Once dry, remove the scrap pieces.

SFX
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, that certainly explains a lot of my issues in building planes. I do the cutout's before building, then the shapes are not quite right.

After my 'duh' moment, I must add a thank you for setting me straight.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Lots of good points here! I certainly recognize the oddball wing spar shape stuck into its cutouts. It fits, but your trick with scrap pieces was really, really good. I think I used steel rulers to press the spar flat against the cutout edges, but your method is better, since the pieces remain there until dry. Very good.

Incidentally, SFX - did you ever show us how you accomplish those very neat fuse seams? Or have I just missed it?

Leif
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Well, that certainly explains a lot of my issues in building planes. I do the cutout's before building, then the shapes are not quite right.

After my 'duh' moment, I must add a thank you for setting me straight.
That will give you all kinds of grief. If you build first, it gives you support in all directions and helps maintain the overall shape. Sure, it's not perfect, but you can fudge by adding paper shims to get things back into their proper shape. If you add a former or two here and there it also goes a long way in keeping the parts in good form.

If you cut first, you have added stresses to deal with, which really complicates the final shape your going for, and usually doesn't end up with the right shapes.

And your welcome, glad to turn on the lights;-)

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Lots of good points here! I certainly recognize the oddball wing spar shape stuck into its cutouts. It fits, but your trick with scrap pieces was really, really good. I think I used steel rulers to press the spar flat against the cutout edges, but your method is better, since the pieces remain there until dry. Very good.

Incidentally, SFX - did you ever show us how you accomplish those very neat fuse seams? Or have I just missed it?

Leif
Using the scrap cardboard is just one of those things that has evolved over the years. I keep much of my larger scrap pieces and once when a similar problem did pop up, I needed something to fill a gap....FAST so I just grabbed what was closest and it happened to be my box of scrap cardboard.......the rest is.......not really history, but it works.

As for the neat fuse seams, you've missed nothing. I'm still working out exactly what I do so I might present it in an understandable way. It will probably be in a seperate thread down the road a ways

Thanks for continuing to watch, I know this is getting long and drawn out, but the end is in sight.

Swampfox
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This continues to be an instructive thread. Excellent instruction from you, SFX, with well-informed inputs from others.

And the model is beautiful -- what a pleasure to see it take shape, piece by piece!

Don
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
This continues to be an instructive thread. Excellent instruction from you, SFX, with well-informed inputs from others.

And the model is beautiful -- what a pleasure to see it take shape, piece by piece!

Don
Thanks Don, Rich, Leif, Vermin and those of you that I've missed mentioning.. It's always good to get comments and questions about what is going on in my head when I'm doing a build.. Sometimes I get better ideas from you guys when I think about how to put this stuff down in pictures and words. Sometimes I just plain steal ideas or modify them, but it keeps me thinking.

SFX
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Attaching Horizontal Stabilizers to fuselage

I came up with this building method sometime back and just recently did a seperate thread on it a couple of weeks ago, so, if you don't mind, I'm going to cheat a little on this step and use some of the other threads images here also.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Using the sand box method that I discussed in this thread Sand/Litter building box,

I set the fuselage in sand and using a 1:48 drawing
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-000-640.jpg

of the front view of the RB-57F I positioned
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-001-640.jpg

and glued the two pieces in place and let dry
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-002-640.jpg

Template removed for clarity.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-003-640.jpg
Here I used 2 paper cups to hold the pieces in place until dry.

SFX
Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Ooooo. Nice! I like it.
Google Adsense