PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
We've got an E model at the museum I work at, and it sits super low at the nose. Some of that is that the nose gear tires are nearly flat, but the gear leg itself is very short. I thought that I would think about hitting the ground constantly if I flew one of these.

See what I mean

B-57E “Intruder” | Strategic Air & Space Museum
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
We've got an E model at the museum I work at, and it sits super low at the nose. Some of that is that the nose gear tires are nearly flat, but the gear leg itself is very short. I thought that I would think about hitting the ground constantly if I flew one of these.

See what I mean

B-57E “Intruder” | Strategic Air & Space Museum
Woah, that's gotta' have something to do with the low tire. I can see why you'd be nervous about bottoming out, landing like that

SFX
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Woah, that's gotta' have something to do with the low tire. I can see why you'd be nervous about bottoming out, landing like that

SFX
MAin gear looks low too, the bottom of the gear door would normaly be about the centre of the wheel. Approx.
I suspect the oleo,s have been deflated. Either leaked or let down on purpose for safety reasons.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
My brother assisted a company recovering a B57 from AMARC down in Arizona. They had to disassemble the wings to ship the bird up to Colorado. He had to do some tool modifications to get the attachment pins out of the wing roots. Some pics attached. This will be another bird for NASA, with C141 engines. Job should be nearing completion, as pics were taken March 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-13295-amarc.jpg   WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-d-m-b-57s.jpg   WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-dsc01530.jpg   WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-imag0030.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pin Extract Concept.PDF (176.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyTedly View Post
My brother assisted a company recovering a B57 from AMARC down in Arizona. They had to disassemble the wings to ship the bird up to Colorado. He had to do some tool modifications to get the attachment pins out of the wing roots. Some pics attached. This will be another bird for NASA, with C141 engines. Job should be nearing completion, as pics were taken March 2011.
Thanks for the update on 13295, I knew it had been undergoing refurbishment, I'd not seen a recent report or picture of it.

If you have anything else showing it either in Tuscon or in Colorado and don't mind, could you take a moment and post them on this thread?

Thanks again,
Swampfox
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
I looked at the piece's from the kit, and looked at several drawings I have of the plane and something was wrong..the landing gear bays were in the wrong place!! This affects sheet 8 and 11.

I triple checked and they were drawn incorrectly. Using Photoshop and Illustrator, I made the corrections and sent them to Arron Murphy to include in both the USAF and NASA versions he was selling on ecardmodels.
Attachment 147214

The original parts placed the landing gear back about 2 inches on the model or 8 feet on the full scale aircraft.

If you've bought these models from ecardmodels, check your kits and make sure that you have the correct parts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As mentioned by Swampfox...here, if you have bought the two models from Ecards, get the updated kit from your account. The kits just finished uploading. If you have run out of downloads, send an email over to Ecard and we can help you out.

These are the updated kits:
1/48 Martin RB-57 Canberra USAF Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts

1/48 Martin WB-57 Canberra NASA Earth Survey 3 Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable
Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
MAin gear looks low too, the bottom of the gear door would normaly be about the centre of the wheel. Approx.
I suspect the oleo,s have been deflated. Either leaked or let down on purpose for safety reasons.
Usually all fluids, including hydraulic oil, are removed from aircraft that are on static display at museums. It's an OSHA, EPA, DOE thing.

This is one reason why most displays at museums sit low. That and under inflated tires.

SF........ you really are doing a wonderful job on Murph's Droopy Bird.

My Drawings
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your comments about the build, I don't build as much as I'd like, but I try to do the best I know how on the few that get done.

I went out to your drawings page and you do some excellent work. Have you ever done a droopy, USAF markings? You can PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks,

Swampfox
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Wings build

Time to build the wings for this powered glider. The wingspan of the RB-57F is 122ft 5inches and it is a spectacular sight to see it fly. I remember watching them fly in and out of Kirtland AFB as a kid.. They appear to be hanging in the sky just barely moving along, and the engines were fairly quiet which added to the glider illusion.

At 1:48 it has a 30" wingspan, which makes it the largest papermodel I've ever built. Where will I display it? Not to worry, I'll find someplace.

Each wing is made of 5 large pieces on 2 1/2 pages.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-000-640.jpg

The wingtips were made of a fiberglass or similar material and were fairly light colored in appearance. I've printed the tips on white bond paper and added the de-icer boot, which was only visible on these tips. It was was cut out and treated like a decal. I also added the red/green Navigation lights, green one is just visible in this image.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-001-640.jpg

Cut out tip with pre-glue treatment on edges
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-002-640.jpg

After curling leading edge only, glue is applied and clipped at the trailing edge to dry. This wing has a very flat airfoil shape so be careful not to add too much curve towards the trailing edge.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-003-640.jpg

The cutout piece of the starboard mid-section. Notice the small flight control tab that I added on the trailing edge, directly back from the "US" lettering on the wing.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-004-640.jpg

Bottom of same wing
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-005-640.jpg

Completed wing section with J60 engine and stray vertical tail
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-006-640.jpg

J60 attached
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-007-640.jpg

Additional views of both wings with J60's and wing spars for each wing.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-008-640.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-009-640.jpg

Now, on to attaching to the fuselage.

SFX
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Just finally got around to going through this thread. Doing a great job and lots of valuable information. One of my favorite planes down at Pima. Just the last time I was there it was sitting in the back looking very forlorn.
Google Adsense