PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.25 MB
TRIDENT de ANSWER au 1/33

ANSWER proposes to us, at the 1/33, the model of TRIDENT II 9050 001 (letter T with the back of the fuselage). It is on this airplane that Charles GOUJON, test pilot of notoriety, found death.

It is an evolution of the TRIDENT I from which he is characterized mainly by the modification principal train, to avoid with the side control surfaces touching the ground on takeoff.

This version is equipped with turbo engines DASSAULT MD30 VIPER 5 and with rockets SEPR 63 to 2 rooms (instead of the SEPR 48 to 3 rooms) which privilege the duration with the detriment of the power.

Lastly, the cockpit is provided with a wind change in the event of pulling up of the canopy in fly.

The model, of difficulty indicated 2/3, is minimalist, but the precision of the drawing of the parts is remarkable.

HISTORY

The TRIDENT was developed to answer two principles: to be able to fly far and a long time and, if necessary, to be able to increase its speed roughly during a short time.
The turbo compressors combined with liquid rockets allowing of fulgurating accelerations, were an answer to this need.

It is the beginning of the adventure of the TRIDENT.

I recommend the articles of the french revue FANA DE L' AVIATION on the subject, of numbers 66 (May 1975) with number 78 (May 1976). Note the numbers 74 and 367 where appear beautiful color pictures of this airplane.

This aircraft is equipped with a machine air-to-air MATRA R-052. On certain photographs, the missile is painted red and white. On other photographs, it seems of uniform color. I thus left it white as proposed by ANSWER.

The presentation of the model, in spite of its sobriety, is engaging. The color aluminum of the boards is réalistic (no a simple grey color but a real aluminium color).The explanations threw the drawings are suffisant for building without need for complementary explanations.

I choose an assembly “from the box”, taking into account of the design minimalist of the model. A “super détaillage” is always possible subject to a sufficient documentation, which was not my case.

Useless to detail you this assembly by the menu, only the following and classis councils:

- To vaporize a fixative on the boards before assembly.
- The color aluminum, if it is realistic, is very fragile. Any mark, therefore attention with the traces of adhesives and fingers.
- To eliminate to the maximum the black features of contours of the parts during cutting (easier to say than to make).
- I suggest also joining parts with reinforcement with the tissue paper inside. That avoids the disgracieuses extra thickness.

- For the same reason, all the tubular parts of low diameter will be thin out as a preliminary .
- Prefer cuttings with the cutter for the zones of future joining. Cutting is clearer than with a scissors.
- Use of a felt PILOTE SUPER COLOR SILVER (or similar) for the setting color of the fields. It is simple, practical and gives an excellent result.

PARTICULAR POINTS

COCKPIT
A monochrome photo appears on page 6 of LE FANA 73 (Oct. 1975). You can improve it while making appear, by keys of painting of color, the various buttons.

A drop of “CRYSTAL CLEAR” will simulate the pane of the instruments of the instrument panel.

More detailling is useless because little thing will remain visible through the canopy, except if you decide to represent it open ..... but this is another business!

LANDING GEARS

The wheels of the principal train will be turned, and nose gear wheel it working with the hand taking into account its small size.

A dish could be carried out under the tires to simulate their crushing on the ground.

A photograph, page 6 of LE FANA 73 (Oct. 75), gives an good idea of the shape of the tires.

The legs of train will be to reinforce by a c.a.p. If the representation of the front leg with fact the object of a certain care, it is not the same thing about the principal train which is simulated by simple paper tube . More minimalist is impossible.

If were to be remade, I would work a little more this part.

FUSELAGE
The only delicate point is at the level of the couples D and D', right the cockpit. Parts must be adjust before joining.
Think of slipping lead into the point before, if you want that your model stay on its wheels.

To practice the cavities (housing trains for example) once assembled truncated cones.

To reinforce fixing principal train by joining blocks balsa on part NR (cork indicated).

I left the air-brakes in position open (although on the ground, they seem always closed). I modified their jacks by rolling up paper on c.a.p. to appear the body of them and while letting exceed an end of this c.a.p. to simulate the stem of it.

CANOPY

Of course it is transparent. Very fine rhodoid comes to take seat inside the reinforcement.
Joining with the cyano liquid. Delicate operation that I have always of the evil to carry out, but with the experiment that should improve.

CONCLUSION

My first paper jet.

Although composed of a number of part limited, he involve much care in his assembly.
The stacking of the truncated cones is not a small matter and it's the main difficulty.

Thank you with ANSWER to have proposed this model of a French plane to us who marked the history of French aeronautics.....and sorry for my english!
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Great work

Always an interesting concept. I was lucky to see it in the air museum at Le Bourget France.
TRIDENT de ANSWER au 1/33-dsc04895.jpg

Can you post some more photos please.

Also a bit more information on the canopy.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
Very well done , congratulations.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Engines (either jet or rocket) on wingtips always looked promising........ too bad they never really worked out for all those that tried.

I guess it was just one of those 50's ideas that looked "cool" but was sadly and tragically found out to be just a bad idea.

Great model!

My Drawings
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Very fine build, Philippe! And anybody attempting this model should be grateful for your ambitious attempt to point out all potential stumbling blocks. - L.
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I have seen the real thing too..
from my iPhone;
360 Panorama
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Engines (either jet or rocket) on wingtips always looked promising........ too bad they never really worked out for all those that tried.

I guess it was just one of those 50's ideas that looked "cool" but was sadly and tragically found out to be just a bad idea.

Great model!

John

Mounting jet engines on the wing tips is a bad idea. Especially on a two engine application. Engine out on takeoff is an instant disaster. There is no recovering from the extreme yaw effect. Also, it stresses the wing in the horizontal as well as the vertical plane.

There are successful applications of Turboshaft engines that are coupled via a shaft in the event one engine goes out. The V-22 Osprey is an example.

Even though the Trident was a very short wingspan aircraft, it would still have suffered the same issues.

I think they placed the engines on the tip because it was easy to install them there.

It looks cool for Sci-Fi movies though.

On the topic of this kit, I too purchased it and will build it as well. I like experimental jets and this one as well as the similar, tilt engine VTOL German research plane EWR VJ 101 are cool looking.
EWR VJ 101 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw a 1/32 scale model scratch built of plastic in a Japanese model magazine. I will post some pics when I find it. The guy did a great job!

Cheers

Isaac
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.25 MB
Thank you for your remarks. I am very proud to see this model chosen like" picture of the week". That encourages me much.

Best regards

Le Criquet
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Very beautiful and clean build. Congratulations on Picture of the Week!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 PM

I'm considering building this model kit. Any pictures of the canopy?

Thanks

Isaac
Google Adsense