PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.13 MB
Hola amigos, se que no me debo presentar aquí, pero vi que tienen un problema con la denominación de un material y me metí...
Para mi se está utilizando lo que en Argentina denominamos MDF ( "Medium Density Fibreboard") es aserrín (generalmente pino) prensado con cola blanca especial, Me parece que el material utilizado es de 2 0 3 mm y se utiliza para fondo de muebles
Yo también lo utilizo para formar las cuadernas de barcos
Espero que les haya sido útil
Aries1
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
There is a product called chipboard which is sort of a very dense paper that is used as a backer for pads of paper and in book binding. It is usually soft, like pressing together paper pulp to make it denser and thicker.
This sounds different to 'chipboard' in England, which is compressed woodchips in a glue matrix - the chips can be upto an inch long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
There is another product called hardboard which is made from wood particles that are pressed together under great pressure to form sheets. Masonite is another name. Hardboard can be used for wall panels, is used to make clipboards, and drilled with many holes to make pegboard, among other applications. It is very hard.

Maybe one of those is what you used.
Yes, this sounds like the 'hardboard' I was thinking of. When folded too far, it breaks with a sort of a biscuity texture?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
.... So please what is houtbord for a sort material? And how do you use it?
I cannot bring you closer to the material than showing it as I did with the enclosed picture.
When I took inquiries at Kartonbau.de concerning their Finnholz I learned that it should be softer than 'karton' and much less fraying. As they told me obtainable with an art-shop (translation?). So I went to van Beek Art supplies here in Amsterdam where they showed a wide choice of the stuff - thickness, stiffness. I bought 2mm assuming that 1mm at both sides should do
for the attachment of fuselage sections. It did.
But.... what's the English word for it ?
Ok, here's another shot:

Last edited by gerard1938; 10-25-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
About Finnpappe:
I don't know the worldwide situation, but in Germany that's the stuff beer mats are made of!

Michi
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsudoki View Post
Yes, this sounds like the 'hardboard' I was thinking of. When folded too far, it breaks with a sort of a biscuity texture?

Cheers,
Mike
Yes, that sounds about right. The stuff here in the USA is kind of difficult to bend but it will break if too much pressure is applied. The picture posted by gerard1938 is close to what hardboard looks like in my country. Might be some differences in manufacturing in different parts of the world.
Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
I used many different types of illustration board and matte board when getting my art degree, and this looks like it could be matte board. Did the people at van Beek tell you what it was usually used for? what is the texture on the reverse side? What is the weight? Are there color choices? If so, how many? The answers might help me narrow down what it might be.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Eternal Member

Dear SCEtoAUx and Ponytail,
It's neither hardboard (too stiff and tough) nor houtboard (but houtbord).
The material is quite soft. Its surface feels quite smooth, more velvet and what we call zachtboard (softboard) - the sound-insulation material.
It is more solid however.
It breaks very easily as you see on the example below, where I easily broke off an edge of about one cm.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.47 MB
I believe michik is correct about the beer mats
Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Gerard & all,
The stuff you show, around 2 mm thickness, look to me as "bierviltjes-karton" (beer-mats-cardboard).
We all see now how much variants the paper- and cardboardindustries has given us. It's not only paper and cardboard or hardboard... looks like life ;-))

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Eternal Member

Although I think that beer mats are much softer they break exactly the same way.
According to van Beek here in Amsterdam there are variable stiffnesses if I may call it so.
And Michik, you're right it is called Finnpappe and not Finnholz or so.
Google Adsense