PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good choice, Glen. Boyington was a colorful character.

If you haven't already read it, I recommend Daniel Ford, Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942, Washington, DC: HarperCollins|Smithsonian Books, 2007. ISBN 0-06124-655-7.

Ford is a meticulous historian and he writes well. This is an updated version of his book. Sadly, Ford became persona non grata with the AVG veterans in spite of his very favorable description of their exploits because he provided rather conclusive evidence that the AVG was up against Ki-43s and not Zeros (Ford provides compelling documentation to show that there were no IJN air units operating in the area during the time the AVG was in combat). Although, to an impartial observer, the AVG's valor and skill loses nothing from this, apparently it was an important article of faith with the AVG veterans that they dueled with Zeros over Burma and Southwest China.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of any AVG veterans reading this, I strongly recommend Ford's book as the most authoritative history of the AVG.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-22-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Don,
Back then, in the heat of battle ALL japanese planes were "Zeroes" but I had no idea that after all those years, and all the facts they still thought that....
Ki-27 Nate and Ki-43 Hayabusa were as formidable an oponnent as the Zero if you consider maneuverability and range. Sure they had lighter armament but you are just as dead if you are hit by 7.6mm or 20mm shell and neither one of those planes had any armor or self-sealing fuel tanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Glen,
I would rather opt for one of the 3rd Squadron P-40, but, heck, any will be nice
I have Osprey's AVG Colours and Markings book if you need any details....
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thank you Don and Mike! I like Boyington for lots of reasons, one of my favorite lines was, when supplies were being dropped on his pow camp he was found ducking for cover "..survive this whole war just to get killed by a can of peaches" There are few models of the first pursuit, and flew tomahawks, so for me was awesome to find sources for this aircraft. I'm pretty much done with photoshop, I could use info on the writing on the fuse, "no step", maintenence warnings, that type of thing. I did not want to paint a scheme that was worn only by later kittyhawks, although those are very well known. Today working to finish directions and some tweaks on the DH4. May have some build time tomorrow? Don I totally agree with those comments, am reading "Jimmy Stewart Bomber pilot" very highly recommend this one
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
... could use info on the writing on the fuse, "no step", maintenence warnings, that type of thing. ...
Unfortunately the books I have do not provide this level of detail...
All those stencil should be a typical thing for all the P-40 I guess...
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Mike along those lines, in the book "Nine Lives of a Fighter Pilot" there is a picture that describes how formidable the Zero was ( against Hurricanes prior to capture of Singapore) but the picture is a Ki-43! I had to do a double-take on that one. Goes to show how poorly known Japan's aircraft have been, I must admit to much ignorance myself, but now know a bit more about them. I'm very impressed by the N1K1, and would love to make a model of that one, although that may be wishful thinking.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM

The N1K must have been one of the great fighter planes of all time. And the second formation of the 343d Naval Air Group (Tsurugi) organized by Genda Minoru and flying N1K2 Shiden-Kais must have been one of the greatest concentrations of outstanding pilots in one unit.

I have a couple of copies of the Maly N1K1 and intend building one some day. It seems to be an intermediate Maly -- far better than the early models but not up to their current standard -- and may be suitable for a modeler of my low-to-intermediate skill level.

Incidentally, my book (Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean war) finally came off the CSI presses last Friday. I will make an announcement in the "Other things we make and do" section soon. I got the message from the head of CSI Press that morning. He said it was a CHrsitmas present and I replied that I heard a chorus of the Heavenly Host singing "Land the Landing Force!"

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-22-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Congratulations! Your short segment posted a while back was nice, I hope to read that, Don! I think Japan did the best they could by concentrating the available air forces that way, so many of the well trained pilots gone. I just am amazed that such a fine aircraft could be as obscure as it is, and would be hard to confuse with a A6M.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM

cockpit/ fuse former update, this cockpit is nice, the sides are not on but I like the rare view, besides the fact I haven't made them... Merry X-mas, Happy holidays to all
Attached Thumbnails
P-40b Gremir-img_2207.jpg   P-40b Gremir-img_2209.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 12-24-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Good start, Glen! You are building a nice stable of great WWII fighters.

Merry Christmas! I'm at home, but instead of building paper models, I'm working on student evaluations while good smells come from the kitchen and Lil and I anticipate the imminent arrival of Don3, Judy, the two paper-model-building grandsons, and Judy's mom, who is visiting from Taiwan. When they arrive, I'll down tools and put the evals aside for a couple of days. Hope to get some model building done while they're here.

Good day to be inside: freezing rain and icicles on the bird feeders. Clusters of house finches, tufted titmice, black-capped chickadees, and cardinals, with now and then a white-breasted nuthatch or a downy woodpecker.

Don
Google Adsense