PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Thank- you Don! We are feeding a few birds that are still around with all the snow we have, Steller's jay, Mourning dove and our local Song sparrows. It's very quiet with 2.5 feet of snow on 10 inches of ice over the lake. I'm thinking White Christmas...I did stop on the way to work (not a full day) to look over a flock of robins in the Mountain Ashberry trees, but no varieds or bohemians this am. Did have a Northern shrike the other day, though.

Last edited by birder; 12-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You get some great birds, Glen!

Don3 and his family arrived safely. We've had our Christmas Eve turkey dinner, followed by a concert in front of the Christmas tree (Don4 and his violin and Christopher playing the recorder), and then I read "A Child's Christmas in Wales" for the 38th Christmas Eve from a book given to us by Jim Reuter (JimR in this Forum) when we were living in Monterey back then. The tree, by the way, is decorated with wooden ornaments we made when we were living in Korea in 1971 and is topped by a star made of cardboard covered with silver paper that we made at the same time. Lots of family traditions.

I've also started on the DGA Santa Star Druin Turbulent and hope to finish it up on Christmas Day.

Best Christmas wishes to you and all who are reading this thread. I look forward to your continued work on the Boyington P-40.

Don
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Merry Christmas, Glen. I haven't said much on this thread because I know absolutely nothing about designing. But the P-40 is one of my favorites, along with the various Grumman cats and I've alway liked Boyington. Even got to meet him in person at a downtown mall opening when I was a kid and Black Sheep Squadron was a hit show. He was the headliner at the opening

P.S.

Went and bought some more bird food and suet today. One day I'll be able to identify these little hyper flying guys in the back yard. But for now I'm just really enjoying watching them!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Merry Christmas to you too! Thanks for looking in on this Jim, I've been hastily building, but will hope to get the basics lined up good to detail out the rest. Don, warm holiday traditions are remembered forever by all, I give you the joy of yours!
note:I'm designing a simple model for fg, but this design is more complex than I have ever attempted, Lukasz Fuczac is the designer of the P-40b, I' mostly playing with colors is all. I have been looking for a good subject to design with formers, and have not committed to any. Lukasz has a furmula down well for these, I will work to obtain this too
Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 PM

progress on the tomahawk, cockpit done
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2231.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2232.jpg
Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent!

Don
Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Very nice Birder!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Thank you Don and Willygoat! I have been building today pleasantly, and was excited to be moving toward the paint job on the nose, all is not perfect, but I'm glad to see it was mostly due to my hasty former construction rather than the line-up of all these nose pieces. Even though my construction could be better, still am overall very happy with the colors and repainting, will have to start the wings and flying surfaces, but those should() be comparatively simple.
Attached Thumbnails
P-40b Gremir-img_2233.jpg   P-40b Gremir-img_2234.jpg   P-40b Gremir-img_2235.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Glen,
I see a potential problem here....
Cutouts for the exhausts are not alligned with the framework - look at the white fields - but the sharkmouth is done perfectly.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks, Mike, I think we're still good there. The exhaust ports need to be carefully aligned in the formers otherwise this occurs,( I wasn't so careful :() the sharksmouth is unlikely rotated, as are all flipped identical. I would say its probably ok still. My section joints not so good, still I like the model and the look although my own personal one needs a few patches to be good enough for the shelf. Will have to check to see that the exhaust on the skin is also identical flipped, or I may have unknowingly messed it up, but don't think so. The sharksmouth is ok I think, looks really cool.