PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
P-40b Gremir

Hoping to build Gremir's p-40b, nice plane, I ordered it in cd format, I really don't know why given the storage capacity of present day computers and how inexpensive back up storage is...If you haven't bought from Mike (gremir) the model is in a program format that needs registration. This was a brief cause of confusion, but in a nutshell, you send Gremir the registration # and he activates the program, not hard, but different. Then you can open the program (including the kit itself that doesn't open before registering. Basically it's not hard and works fine.
The program has a number of photos of the plane constructed, very nicely done construction diagrams, and the model files. This particular plane is a design of Lukasz Fuczec and looks well done.
As an early P-40 (first production version) the color schemes would not likely be so variable had they not gone to the RAF, and used in Africa and Far East to see action with Caire Chinnault's famous unit. I'm planning on a recolor to be consistant with P-40b in the AVG. If goes according to plan...........
Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Looking forward to it Glen!!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Thank-you Johnny! I hope to put out a nice version, is really a nice design by Lukasz, detailed nicely on the drawings. Very pretty, should make a great AVG plane. It may not have had the performance of a Spit or P-38, but sure looked cool!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Cuttin' and gluin' begins. Formers. (will post pic) Found KC's method to work wonders, tapping on chisel shaped "exacto" for tabs and slots, much friendlier on hands and tools, AND cleaner results!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Nice drawings to use, here's my simple method so far
Attached Thumbnails
P-40b Gremir-img_2188.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Very pretty, should make a great AVG plane. It may not have had the performance of a Spit or P-38, but sure looked cool!
The P-40 always seems to get bad press - it was capable of absorbing an amazing amount of damage and it was superior to the Bf109 at low altitudes. I remember seeing an interview on Oz TV with an RAAF WW2 Kittyhawk Ace ( I think it was Nicky Barr - 12.5 kills in 12 months) - he said air combat was mostly down to the aggression and skill of the pilot - the differences between planes weren't that important.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Quite right Charlie! That is what the pilots also said about the P-51 and the P-38. I read (presently forget where- I think "an ace of the 8th") that the planes could be flown against each other in combat practice and the "victor" would usually just be who had the most flying skill and comfort in the type.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM

progress on cockpit today, thinner formers slightly than halinski, but tab and slot similar. Would have done the footpedals already, but no ca glue, but did most of the center cockpit section
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2201.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2202.jpg
goes together better than it looks, did this at work, still am pleased with the fit and design!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 AM

one more pic, a bit fanciful as have not settled on the color scheme shown, but gives the general idea
Attached Thumbnails
P-40b Gremir-img_2204.jpg  
Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 AM

skin pattern

finally after much time studying online information and reviewing versions of P-40b aircraft, have decided on Greg Boyington's aircraft, or one he reportedly flew as AVG member early when tomahowks were not yet replaced by E or Kittyhaws as most existing examples painted today are. The colors are modest compared to later planes, as are markings, he was a member at that time of the First Pursuit group, with simpler markings at the brief time that b-c models were in use. More interesting is his fame later in the war, although he eventually became POW, was a colorful guy, and interestingly hailed locally as well.
Have finished applying camo and "weathering" to fuselage, will spray it and build it properly(formers!). I am excited about this and think will eventually be a cool model, and unique amoung AVG aircraft models..now to build it....

Last edited by birder; 12-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Google Adsense