PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
Piaggo do it the otherway round and pull the sheets into a former.
I think I have a vague idea of what you are talking about but could you elaborate a little more please? I'm a very visual tactile learner if I can't see it and get my hands on it then it's a lot harder for me to comprehend.

Overall this model has been pretty nice. I have been working on designing my own anirplane and have noticed some aerodynamic features of the P-180 that are very subtle that I would not have noticed otherwise and 1 of them is not incorporated into this model just for the sake of simplicity. The engine nacelles narrow from the leading edge of the wing up to the thickest section of the chord then they start expanding again. It's called Area Rule. It was first discovered when designers were trying to get palnes going supersonic but despite having enough power (they thought) the planes just couldn't get to mach one. They discovered that every time there was an increase in the internal volume of the aircraft it created a shock wave that created a lot of drag, obviously there is a substantial amount of volume in the wings so they hit upon the idea of narrowing the fuselage at the thickest poin of the wing. Thus was born the "Coke Bottle" fuselage.

But like I say that was not really incorporated into this model for simplicities sake.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Dear Will

In 'normal' light aircraft production the aluminum sheets are laid over a convex former and rivited up - a process much like a card model(formers/spars then sheets laid over)

Piaggio in order to achieve a smooth finish do it the other way round. The former is concave and the milled aluminium sheet is pushed into the former.

This process is broadly similar to the production of 'plastic' aircraft where the materials are laid into a mould.

Apologies if my use of 'normal' and 'plastic' have upset anybody, but I spent many years selling light aircraft, so I am biased.

Regards

Tim