PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21

I always liked TonTon's the SD planes , I have all his free models, and when he finally started with his commercial ones I had to have those, too. YuG was a great help for me, explaining the order process to me (If you are interested yourself, have a look here). Funny, isn't it, that I had to spend a few bucks before I actually started building one!

I started with the Fw 189 Uhu, but I didn't get along too well with it, so I stalled the build and started again with the MiG 21. However, I wasn't content with that one, either. To tell the truth, the way these models are supposed to be built simply isn't my bag of thing. For example, on the MiG there is a slot in the afterbody and the fin is supposed to be glued to the fuselage with some tabs from the inside. Don't get me wrong, this is absolutely possible, but I simply don't like it...

Therefor, I stoped building the MiG, too, and did what I should have done from the very beginning...
Attached Thumbnails
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_003.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_004.jpg  
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

...that is, doing it my way!

First was to reduce the size to 25%. Ahhhh, much better! I've printed the sheet twice, you never know when you will need spare parts. Furthermore, I've put even more instances of the bulkheads and the landing gear on the sheet. After all this was done, there was still some space left on the paper, so finally I 've put the Fw 190 on the sheet, too.

All parts were cut out without the glueing tabs. The fuselage segments were separated and glued to rings.

The bulkheads guarantee their correct shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_007.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_008.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_010.jpg  
Old 07-26-2007, 04:18 PM

I added two spars that helped to position the wings and horizontal fins correctly. A small tab ensures the alignment of the fuselage spine and the vertical fin.

The canopy and spine parts then were simply glued to the fuselage without any aids.

The landing gear consists of several layers of cardboard to give it some thickness.
Attached Thumbnails
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_011.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_012.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_017.jpg  
Old 07-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Drop tanks and pilot tube added, and all of a sudden the MiG is finished!

All in all, this was an enjoyable build, not yet a perfect one, but the result really pleases me.

Enjoy!
Michi
Attached Thumbnails
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_024.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_026.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_031.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_035.jpg   Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-mig21_sd_038.jpg  

Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! That's tiny! The tiny guys around here are going to get all worked up! Great job!
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Hi Michik
Congratulations
I did not expect to see your completed model here!
It's pretty and clean work. And tiny model suit my taste.

Last edited by Yu Gyokubun; 07-26-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 AM

Yes, tiny is GRRRRRRREAT!
(always was and will be forever!)

YuG:
It was to good an occasion to post something substantial here, and though I know that quite a lot of non-german-speakers browse kartonbau.de on a regular basis, I think its more appropriate to post a construction report in english language here.

By the way, may I ask yet another favour from you? I have the impression that TonTon tolerates if not encourages repaints and modifications of his models. At least, he presents a repaint of the Rafale in his gallery (number 9 here). However, Babelfish is not really helpful translating that page, nor with his terms of use. Could you please tell me his oppinion about repaints of his work? I have a soft spot for the Sabres of JG 71, but I wouldn't want to upset TonTon, like Ojimak was upset when somebody repainted one of his works (without any bad intentions, that one).

Michi
Attached Thumbnails
Red 28, superdeformed MiG 21-sabre_021_jg71.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Such tiny work really impresses me!
Nice job!!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Ojimak seems to be a little bit difficult person. Now I understand when he knew that I joined foreign site, he became rather cold. Trotsky too, About one year ago he was upset by foreign people's visit to his site surged, he closed his site and one day he asked me to translate what someone wrote in English in his site. They obviously have some bias towards foreign people. I personally think that they must be open to foreign people since we are living in globalized world. They must be torelate to fellow modelers all over the world. Many Japanese who have trouble understanding English tend to have similar mindset that those two persons have.

Anyway, what is written about modification in Ton Ton's terms of use is
なお、展開図の無断転載や無断改造、および、当サイト内の画像や展開図への直リンクは禁止して おります。
… ただし、個人で楽しむ範囲に限り改造はご自由にどうぞ。

Translation is as follows (I hope my translation is correct)
All right reserved on extension plan. Reprint and modification, and link to pictures and extension plan inside this site are banned. However, you may modify as long as you are enjoing it privately."

TonTon's comment taking a look at Rafale number 9 that was made by one of his fan is
公開翌日の投稿です。難しいと思うんだけど、作るの早いですねー、しかも、色が塗り直されてま す。
それにしてもハデです。なんとなくイタリアン?
"This model was posted the day after release. Although I think it difficult to make it, very fast.
To top it all, repainted. At any rate its loud color. Is it Italian?"

Apparently, he did not upset by repainting.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very strange way of thinking by these two fine modelers (Ojimak and Trotski), specially when a LOT of us on foreign countries enjoy and recommend their designs. Well, I think world cultures are very rich and we still have a lot to learn from one another.

Anyway, Michik, your Mig is outstanding, given the fact that you had to resize it tiny for a better construction.

(I loved he photo of the airplane in its "runway"!)
Google Adsense