PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 99.83 MB
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien >>Fokker D.XXI<<

Hi there

Thought about trying my wings at this.. these Finnish air craft (papermodels) are kind of rare, especially this Fokker D.21.

This is a scratchbuilt model, scale unknown. But the length is 'bout 30 cm/11 inch and the wingspan is 40 cm/16 inch. So far I've constructed the basic fuselage, wings and such. Also the landing gear "stubs" (landing gear is to be attached) are built. The details, painting stuff and all the beautifyin' are still to be done.

And of course I started taking pics now when it's pretty much half done..
And sorry about the blurry photos, I'll search my good camera for later photos. The first picture is what the model is supposed to become. It is from winter 1939-1940 (note the skis as undercarriage), it was flown by Lt. Jorma Sarvanto in No. 24 Fighter squadron (lentolaivue 24).
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-jsarfr-97.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picfk1.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picfk2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Made the undercarriage. Experiencing minor problems. How to sort of hinge the landing gear/ski? Picture 1 demonstrates the landing gear as it is in flight - straight. In picture 2, angled as it goes when on ground. Get it? I think i'll sort it out somehow, but suggestions are welcome.

All in all, I think it's looking pretty fine! And I loved how the thingys that come on/over the joining of the wing and the fuselage (can't recall the name, if there is?) fitted like a glove.
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picture1.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picture2.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picfk5.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picfk3.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-picfk7.jpg  

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The wing root fillets look really good. Those are difficult parts, both to build and design, I imagine.

Leif

Websters dictionary:
fillet - a concave strip of material roughly triangular in cross section that rounds off an interior angle between two surfaces : a splayed mortar fillet at the junction of the roof with the chimney stack | [as adj. ] a fillet weld.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM

That's it - fillets. Thanks mate!

Update: I've added some details, such as couple of exhaust pipes ( or air intakes?). Landing light on the wing, struts holding the elevators also added. And a very nice finishing touch on the fuselage: I added sort of plates and coverings on the fuselage, which create nice seams on the fuselage. I guess I'll also add some "rivets" on the seams. Pictures coming soon. By the way, the skis are still unattached.. still tryin to figure out a viable hinging (or such) system, that should be kind of sturdy as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
Thought about trying my wings at this.. these Finnish air craft (papermodels) are kind of rare, especially this Fokker D.21....
Nice work on the model.
Don't know if you were aware of it, but there is a 1/33 scale model of this aircraft published by Modelik nr kat. 0519: FOKKER D.XXI (IV seria fi?ska) - Modelik.pl Page shows sample of assembly diagrams and parts, maybe it will help you.
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Terve Sisko,
Here are couple of pics to guide you. You have to form a kind of a 'sleeve' on top of the skis to meet the undercarriage arms (first pic showing the real thing and the second the mentioned Modelik model built). If you want to make the plane presentable with both the skis and wheels plus show the movement of the ski (on ground position vs. flight position) I made a sketch how I would do it (pic 3).
Nice work with the Fokker of a great pilot (downed six bombers in four minutes in one of his battles if I remember correctly).

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-fokker-skis-detail.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-modelik-fokker-dxxi.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-sketch.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Very nice, thanks! I shall get on with those skis as soon as possible. And I'll also make the undercarriage easily changeable so when the spring comes, ill change the wheels on (maybe even paint the thing with continuation war colours?). And indeed Sarvanto did that, a true talent. Pictures still on their way, hold on. Kiitoksia vaan Tapcholle vielä! And thanks GreMir!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Here we go!
Finally some hq photos! Still needs the little ski in the back and possibly a few more little details. And of course the paint job. A bit sad news: the system with hinging the skis didn't quite work out.. I even succeeded making the parts and it is a working thing I know that but in that scale, very tricky. If i'd try again I could do it but.. it was me who went wrong :D well, as fine as everything has went, there's always the one thing that doesn't quite work out. Enjoy the pics anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-062.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-055.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-059.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-060.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-061.jpg  

Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 AM

Right!

Painting somewhat done, bottom (light grey/silver) still partially lacking as well as some other details. The Finnish air force insignia are kinda messy.. but oh well here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-065.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-067.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-064.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-069.jpg   Finnish air force/Suomen ilmavoimien &gt;&gt;Fokker D.XXI&lt;&lt;-kuvia-2010-068.jpg  

Old 12-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Looking great, good work on this one. The undercarriage is much better. ;-)

Tappi
Google Adsense