PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
PWS-10 1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane

A quick mini-review first

The kit consists of 4 A4 pages to be printed on card, 2 pages of paper to be laminated to 1mm stock, 4 pages of instructions and a one page description in Polish. There are also high resolution .jpgs of the front and back covers.

The graphics quality is spectacular. with light weathering and paint effects that promise a high level of realism.

Construction is CardPlanes traditional former heavy style. The wings will be a treat.

Moving on to the beginnings of the build.
The aft fuselage structure is straight-forward. The prototype aircraft had many stringers rounding out the fuselage shape and this is reflected in the formers which are faceted, and will be in the skins which have numerous score lines. Allowances are made in the formers and keel for the thickness of the joining strips as well.

The Cock pit is one of those jewels that makes a photo thread worthwhile. Marvelously detailed down to the tie rods in the fuselage structure, it will all be barely visible through the cockpit opening, but we'll all know its there<g>

The fuselage side frames have strips to face all of the cut edges. The tie rods are made of 32ga beading wire stretched straight then cut to length.

The tubular seat frame supports are supposed to be rolled, but I cheated and used peeled Q-tip (ear bud) sticks. I used the same for the control stick, one of the control torque tubes and for the big lever that is probably a parking brake (no, really).

I printed a second page of the cockpit on regular paper to make some of the rolled parts easier. I also used it to make the floorboard/ heel plates. it's easier to cut out the bottom frame without them and add them as separate pieces. That also let me pierce them with many tiny holes. I figured with the level of detail in the cockpit it was only right<g>

The throttle levers are wire, with blobs of tinted glue for knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3126.jpg   PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3127.jpg   PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3128.jpg   PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3129.jpg   PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3130.jpg  

PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3131.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Beautiful workmanship & execution of a good design. I admire the tensioning wires in the fuselage frame. What is beading wire, and what would 32 ga translate into in mm? - L.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 AM

It's wire for stringing beads into a necklace or bracelet. This is dead soft aluminium at 0.11mm (0.0045 inches)
Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This looks to be a great kit. I really like the coloring job. The quality of your work is inspirational and I'm looking forward to following this one closely!
Chris
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding, Mark. This is shaping up to be one of the great build threads. Thanks for the peeled Q-tip idea. I find rolling tubes to be one of the hardest aspects of the craft. Until and unless I ever develop the requisite skill, I plan to use your Q-tip technique.

As in the case of Leif's magnificent giant-scale Camel, your photos are like watching a real airplane take shape, with lots for us to learn along the way.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM

Looks great so far. I'm curious as to how one peels a q-tip? I'll have to try it tonight, do you cut a slit first?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM

No, I clip the cotton bits off first<G>.

Yeah, that's it. you cut a slit along the length and start peeling. I'm not sure how the paper is treated, clay I think, but it takes paint and markers pretty well, and you can glue it with white glue too. (I really hate CA)
A real 'Q-tip" brand stick starts out at 0.098 " (2.5mm) and will easily stay intact when peeled down past .020" (0.5mm). 0.010" --(0.25mm) is possible, but iffy.
The fun part is that you can peel them in sections too to create stepped or tapered pieces.

It's a little bit of a cheat I suppose, but it is paper<g>
Attached Thumbnails
PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3132.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Excellent! I just tried it myself and it works very well. Thanks Shrike.

Also, I had picked up some lollipop sticks from the Walmart craft section a while back and tried it on these. They are about 4mm thick and come in 4 and 8 inch lengths. It works for them as well, except you have glue the resulting flap back onto the base. Aleene's worked. I don't think they will go as thin as Q-tips though.

Again, thanks for the tip. This will have a lot of uses!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM

Just a couple of photos for now.
More later.
Attached Thumbnails
PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3133.jpg   PWS-10  1:33 Modele Kartonowe / Cardplane-img_3135.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Great, great work thus far...real eye-candy.

Cheers!
Google Adsense