PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Yes, the rivet pattern is a life like effect, I'll include a picture of the appliance I use for this next time that I'll have some progress. It is a cog wheel from an egg timer, that I took apart. I mounted it in a holder with a wooden handle, I have absolutely no iedea what it's for. I'll show more pics soon. Btw, in the thread on the Douglas DC-5 I think I may have mentioned it.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Time to work on the wings. For more detail, I decided to cut out the ailerons and the flaps and put them back with a little more contour. In pic 1, I cut out the right wing after printing it on Inktjet Station silver paper. Because there is no longer a trailing edge to glue the top to the bottom side of the wing, I need an auxilliary spar which you can see running at the aft side of the wing. This spar runs al the way to the tip. In pic 2 you can see these spars closing the top and bottom sides of the wing. The flap is only visible on the underside of the wing, and in pic 2 it lies behind the wing. It is a simple piece, with at both ends a cardboard closing part. The curved front fits against the auxilliary spar in the wing. Also, you can see the basic wheel well in place.

Before I continue, let me answer the question by SAustin 16 on the rivet pattern. I include here a picture of the little cog wheel with which to simulate the rivet pattern, see pic 3. I took that from an egg timer and mounted it in what I believe is the appliance our women use to track out patterns on fabric. The one I have used here is a nylon wheel, which is now getting worn out, so I am going to replace it with a metal one, pic 4.

Anyway, the wing is done, see pic 5. It calls for some accuracy to place the auxilliary spars in the right place to align them with the true spars that fit into the openings in the fuselage. Pic 6 shows the upper surface with the aileron in place and pic 7 the underside, there you can see the flaps as well. Note the nice detail of the wheel well. I had a picture of the interior of such a well, and I printed that and glued it in the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-1-wing-set-up.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-2-flap-aileron-cut-out.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-3-rivet-applier.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-4-cog-wheel-rivets.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-5-right-wing-ready.jpg  

C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-6-wing-top-view.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-9-7-wing-underside.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Where's the model download page?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
That's a pounce wheel. Here's a link to some ready made ones with metal wheels from Dick Blick art supplies: Grifhold Aluminum Pounce Wheels - BLICK art materials. Of course those are only good if the spacing fits what you need. Your adapted version can use whatever works. Knew there was some reason I always through those little gears and such in a bottle 'just in case'.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationAce View Post
Where's the model download page?
In the 3rd post of this thread, there is a link to one version.

Or you can get the one that is the base model of this thread here: 1/72 C121 Constellation Military Transport Paper Model
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Yep, Ecardmodels.com, that's where I bought this model. They have many very good models.
The pounce wheel you showed, Whulsey, is interesting, didn't know they were out there. The little toothed wheel I am using for this 1:67 model has 20 "rivets" per 22 mm, as I measured on my model, so that transforms to 23 teeth per inch. The 21 teeth per inch pound wheel will probably best fit a 1:50 model
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Ok this is going to be an awesome paper model!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM

By the way I'm not very keen on buyin g anything from the Internet!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Meanwhile, I have assembled the right wing engines, to see how they would turn out together with the wingtiptank, that I designed with the help of the Siatki Cone Developper programme (google it, it is a nice tool), see the pictures for some side views.
What I like about the KLM colours, is that the engines and the underside of the wing were painted black, probably to protect the aluminium skin from the oily exhaust fumes. Those black engines give a sort of powerfull and technical appearance to the Super Constellation, if you see what I mean.
Anyway, I have decided to make a ground model, so I'll also be making the undergear and the propellers, which I'll show you next time.

Quote:
By the way I'm not very keen on buyin g anything from the Internet!
said AviationAce.
If you mean buying this model from Ecards, I had no problem whatsoever, It is a download, so you do have to unwrap it into pdf files
Attached Thumbnails
C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-10-1-engines-wing.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-10-2-wing-side-view.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 PM

I have been working on the propellers to see how they would look like on the engines, so to put the Super Constellation back on page 1, here are some pictures with the propellers fitted. The tail and wing are loosely fitted to the fuselage, therefore they are not correctly aligned yet, so don't worry. I'll have to check whether KLM had the propellers with rounded tips or squared-off tips, so perhaps the prop tips need to be trimmed in a later stage.
Attached Thumbnails
C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-11-1-side-view-props.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-11-2-props.jpg  
Google Adsense