PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Roland D. XVI in 1/72 scale, der Kampfflieger

Well, i decided I needed a break from the norm. Sorry for those who are waiting on my Civil War ship models. I figured I might sneek in some build time. I found a printed sheet I stashed some time ago, and decided it was a sign! The model is from der Kampfflieger's "rear pearls" CD and is in 1/72 scale.

It has been some time sense my last real build. And this scale is quite small. This plane is destine to go to the hospital to be givin out as a "toy" for kids by the hospital chaplain. That being said, I have decided to leave off the engine and cylinders as they are well hidden behind a grill anyhow. At 1/48 scale maybe, but at 1/72 I just do not have the skills yet.

The build is like most of Kampfflieger models, pretty straight forward using a combination of formers and panels. There are no "tabs" but they can easily be added if you feel you need them. At the larger scale this may be so.

Although my colors are off a bit (old printer two printers ago?) the model has interesting cammo colored wings and plywood colored hull. The engine cowling and panels are a silver/gray metal and over all looks great. There is a lot of room for small detailing for those with the skills. i like these little odd late WW1 planes. the Roland had two guns and a single main wing. It was quite wast at low altitude. I hope I can do justice to this small model in some way.

I do not know if this model is currently available. I got it through the der Kampfflieger email news letter!

CT
Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
A very nice parasol model. I'll follow this thread with interest.

The model is available:
1/72 Roland D.XVI Parasol Fighter Prototype Paper Model
Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Well, thats the model, but his test build is looking way nicer then my build! Oh, well. Having fun though.

Here s a couple of shots of my build so far.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D. XVI in 1/72 scale, der Kampfflieger-dsc00288.jpg   Roland D. XVI in 1/72 scale, der Kampfflieger-dsc00289.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
looking good so far, CT. Always wanted to build this one.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice beginning. Well-aligned fuselage.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Well, y'all are being kind!But thank you.

I got the side panels on. The dark out line is because I lack a full assortment of colored pens, my kids having pilfered them during my build absents. And because I think the dark color is better then the blinding white, I used a dark marker for edge color. I will have to re-invest in a good set of markers again soon if I keep building.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D. XVI in 1/72 scale, der Kampfflieger-dsc00290.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Well, y'all are being kind!But thank you.
And because I think the dark color is better then the blinding white, I used a dark marker for edge color.
CT
I Agree . You're build looks good. Go ahead, don't be to perfectionist this is for our enjoyment.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Like so many other things, paper building always comes back to the basics. getting the cuts right, the scoring, the edge coloring...practice! So thats kind of what I decided to do. I have so many great one page models downloaded that I hav never tried. Some are highly detailed and hard. But some, like a who slew of FG models, are good but basic and are perfect for what I need. I have a number of der Kampffleiger models as well. Sooner or later I would like to move up to the other models I have that are many pages and detailed. But getting back to basics is where I need to start!

More to come today! Might even try finishing it. I found some nice card that hurried the wheels along.

CT