PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4227 View Post
The closest I was able to find was the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.
I have seen this model discussed before, but I can't find the thread, sorry. The conclusion was, that it looked most like the de Havilland DH66 Hercules:

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4227 View Post
Diderick - looking at your web site is a trip down memory lane for me! I remember many of those in your van alles / miscellaneous section!
Is your shop mixed media, or mainly paper models?
Could either of you tell me the Author and Series this book was in?
Most of my others were in the "World on the Move" (Alan Rose, mainly) or "World at Your Feet" series, from Perigee in New York.
I still have the props from my original, and I was pretty sure they from the "World on the Move" series. Publishers vary from country to country, but this is definitely the one I am looking for! I assume the instructions in Diderick's copy will be in Dutch?
Paper models only, with the exception of some of my own publications. This was published in 1979 in Dutch and in English, but no designer is mentioned. It is very much a children's toy! In Dutch, but the sketch is very clear.
Memory lane is as good a reason for buying and building a model as any - but don't postpone: I have only this one copy. If you want to order, please use my website order form?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Memory lane is as good a reason for buying and building a model as any - but don't postpone: I have only this one copy. If you want to order, please use my website order form?
Diderick - I have sent you an email to your planet.nl to get the total cost with shipping to Canada.

Cheers!

Joe Blackburn
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsudoki View Post
I have seen this model discussed before, but I can't find the thread, sorry. The conclusion was, that it looked most like the De_Havilland_Hercules
Similar - but though it has the biplane tail, the tops of the rudders are above the upper plane. The Argosy has exactly the same tail as the kit, with the flat upper surface.

A second difference is that I believe the DH Herc's mainplanes are the same size, where the Argosy's were large over smaller - like the kit...

Joe Blackburn
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
I'm pretty sure it is a fictional plane, like the rest of the serie, a car, a locomotive, a boat, the where "kids" stuff, or not representing an existing plane
Billy, I am reaching WAY back in my memory for this, but my recollection was that it was "based on" a Golden Age Mail/Transport. I believe the book actually has a page giving the history. I have it in my mind that they were used by Imperial Airways, and maybe Lufthansa between the wars.

Yes, these card model books were "kid stuff" - but they can be built into a quite nice model, and they are fairly large and solid! (Ours lasted some 20 years!).

It has become a collectors piece, now.

Joe Blackburn
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Yep, let's call it Fantasy-stuff
And I do remember this model popped up in a thread about it, I even responded to that, but I can't find it anymore
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
Yep, let's call it Fantasy-stuff
And I do remember this model popped up in a thread about it, I even responded to that, but I can't find it anymore

Billy, I'd hardly call an aircraft used by Imperial Airways during the Golden Age of flight from 1926 to 1935, "Fantasy-stuff"!
The sets were intended for less advanced builders (I don't know about children) but when assembled, they did represent fairly good representations for day and time and audience for which they were produced.

Dunno about the Racecar, but the Pilot Boat and the Steam Loco were pretty decent, too, IMHO...

Joe Blackburn
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Joe Could you please post a bigger picture of the model? I think I've seen it before but with that small picture I can see a lot of details.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
Joe Could you please post a bigger picture of the model? I think I've seen it before but with that small picture I can see a lot of details.
Would if I could, Alcides - but the picture is from Diderick's web site, and it's full size. I ordered the book from him, it's in transit.

My original book was in English, and I thought it was one of the "World on the Move" books from Perigee, as I have others in that series.

This one is actually in the same series as the Racecar, Pilot Boat, Steam Train, and Diderick says there is no publisher listed.

But it's definitely the same model that I built originally.

I'll post a pic when it arrives, if you like...

Joe Blackburn
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
JOE4227,
My copy was printed by PRICE/STERN/SLOAN in Los Angeles probably sometime in the late seventies. I can't find a date anywhere on it.
Google Adsense