PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Mini F-16s

About 15 years ago, before I'd actually discovered paper modeling, I picked up a couple copies of this book, "Modern Fighters (to color, cut out & fly)" from Bellerophon Books, to build and fly with my sons. The models in it were designed by a gentleman named Nick Taylor. As it turned out, the only model I ever ended up building was the F-16, which I thought was a fun, simple, good looking model. And as my first paper model, a new world was opened to me.

Before I built the kit, however, I scanned the pages into my computer so I could build the plane again. (Yes, I know, copywrite violation...) I decided I wanted to play around with the design and see if I could improve upon it. It was missing some details I wanted to add (ventral fins, wingtip missile rails, forward portion of vertical fin) and I wanted to be able to play around with different paint jobs, squadrons, etc. I used PowerPoint to "trace" over the scans, to design the new parts, and to tweak existing ones. I then used Microsoft Paint to do the "paint jobs". While playing around with the models, I found that building them half-size (about 5 inches) actually worked pretty well and made for a cool little airplane.

This first one is a US Air Force jet from the Wolfpack, based in South Korea. It's pretty representative of a typical F-16C, I think.

I decided to get a little flashier next and did the Thunderbirds. And, of course, I did all 8 numbered jets.

This last one is the IAF's F-16I, their latest version of the aircraft, a strike fighter, if you will. For this I not only had to do the camoflage paint job, but also had to design from scratch the dorsal electronics bay, the two-place canopy, and the conformal tanks. I was pleased with the results.

I found that adding a little ballast, in the form of a little roll of masking tape, just inside the inlet gets the CG positioned correctly to let these little beauties fly pretty decently -- better than I would have thought.

I'm contemplating which squadron to model next. I grew up in Ft Wayne, IN, and was thinking about building one from their former squadron, however, I'm open to suggestion.

Mike, aka "WeeVikes"
Attached Thumbnails
Mini F-16s-photo0416.jpg   Mini F-16s-photo0417.jpg   Mini F-16s-photo0418.jpg   Mini F-16s-photo0419.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Good looking little planes! Would love to see the original from the book.

vbsargent
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
As I recall these models have gray shading that doesn't really help with the coloring. So if you want something like the cover you'll really have to work for it.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Mini F-16s-008.jpg   Mini F-16s-005.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
There are so many options for colors for the F-16. Being from Iowa originally, I'm partial to the 132nd FS markings of the Iowa ANG. The South Dakota ANG F-16s are pretty cool too. The Lobo looks mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini F-16s-800px-124th_fighter_squadron_-_general_dynamics_f-16c_block_25c_fighting_falcon_84-1230.jpg   Mini F-16s-3_26.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
ashville -- yeah, that's it exactly! A cool model, but I wanted different graphics.

willy -- those are great pictures. Just way too many options...
Google Adsense