Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation Info provided

From the internet

In is a Lockheed Connie

"
Lockheed Constellation Questions and Answers

" the aircraft is L049 N864H c/n 2068. According to Peter J. Marson's Lockheed Constellation book, it was originally delivered to KLM as PH-TAU in May 1946 and sold a few year later to Capital Airlines in July 1950 as N86531. Retired by Capital in December 1960, it flew for a number of small airlines over the next 10+ years. It was flown to New Orleans in early 1973 for use as the “Crash Landing Bar/Nightclub”. Then as an attraction at the “Millionaires Club” by late 1975 followed by the “Crash Landing Disco” in about 1981 and finally the “Village Place” in 1982. It was scrapped a year later in 1983. "

Isaac
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
May I answer that last question, as the publisher of this model? Yes, it is the Lockheed Constellation L749. Publication coincided with the arrival of an American Constellation at Aviodrome civil air museum in Lelystad, the Netherlands. The museum people had not yet decided on the exact name and registration number the plane would get after restoration, so we chose one ourselves. I live very near Utrecht, so we decided on the PH-TAU 'Utecht'.
The museum site gives the following information about the actual plane:

The last Dutch Constellation
Since 2003 there has been an airworthy Constellation in Netherlands. It was initially purchased by the Dutch Constellation Foundation on 17 November 1993. It was made airworthy for its flight to the Netherlands, where volunteers under the supervision of aviation museum Aviodrome in Lelystad finished the work. It was painted in the KLM livery of the 1950s. The passenger cabin is not yet in its original state. The Connie is now based at Aviodrome under American registry: N749NL.

This Constellation is a type VC-121A (46-0612), the military version of the L-series L749a. It entered service in the USAF in January 1949, and decommisioned in October 1967. Subsequently is was flown by Christier Flying Service Inc., Beaver Air Spray Inc. and Conifair. It was used as a spray plane.

Go to Lockheed Constellation L749 N749NL Comeback - YouTube for one of a number of fascinating video's.

By the way: I am planning to offer this model for sale via eCardmodels.com in the not too distant future, saving possible buyers the postage from Holland. If you cannot wait that long, come to my website www.zeistbouwplaten.nl
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Thanks for answering, Diderick. Sorry if I forgot to mention this at the start of the thread. If you do a digital version of this plane, you could change the registeries and name to the one at the Aviodrome and maybe boost sales that way!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM

When I last posted photos, I managed to finish the fuselage, only the nose dome has to be attached (and various doodads/antennas).

I'm working on the tail surfaces now, these are all the parts (sans formers).

I fsomeone has photo's of the tail during construction, could you please post them, there isn't a drawing in the instructions for the whole tail, only for 28 (upper outboard tail) + 31 (the former).
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very fine work on this beautiful airplane!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 PM

You haven't seen the faults yet... Atleast those are 'concentrated' on the starboard side of the plane!