PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
My, you have been busy!
Looks nice. Were you able to salvage the original engine?

I know what you mean about the prop. I've got an idea as to improve that myself. I think separate hub, blades with layering and reverse layering will improve.

Is this your first WWI type plane with double wings and wires?
They look good. Am curious to see how you handle the wires.

Thanks for rebuilding and continuing the thread.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 147.71 MB
I wasn't able to save the old engine. It wasn't all that hard to make another one though. I do the wires a little differently than most do. I use a thin grey thread I got from BassPro shops a couple of years ago. The brand it worn off but maybe it's Marlin. It's for fly making and is sized 00. The main thing I like about it is that it heat shrinks. I place it's end just touching a bead of thick super glue then touch the place where I want it to go. wait 10 seconds. I pull it into place with Hemostats then fix the other end with thick super glue. After all the supporting wires are in place I use a heatgun to draw the wires tight. Taking a brush I take Tacky glue and brush on a thin layer. When dry the strings are tough enough to last through fifteen or twenty combats between the Grandchildren. I learned this system building free flight rubber models half a century ago. Only then we used silk and carpenters glue.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM

Anyway I have the tail skid made of a tooth pick and florist wire, I made a prop by taking a picture of the walnut coffee table and printing both sides of 110 pound cardstock. on to this I printed Lief Ohlsson's 1/33rd scale prop pdf from this sight. I cut out the paterns 1-1 through 10-10 and glued them together as the plans instructed. Then I cut and glued 1-2 to 10-2 together and cut out the center hub. I glued the pieces together to make a four bladed prop pushing when turned counter-clockwise. I cut out the centers of the Fiddlersgreen prop and glued them into place. Next the real challenge. The wires!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiddlersgreen DH2-wood-grain.jpg   Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-4.jpg   Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-5.jpg   Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-8.jpg   Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-9.jpg  

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 PM

This is the plane before the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-10.jpg   Fiddlersgreen DH2-dh2-11.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Wow! That looks great! I love the prop idea. Just goes to show that FG models can be real nice when done right. :D:D
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
That's really coming along nicely! I'm a big fan of FG models. It just takes a little creativity to make them stand out. The convention in Virginia last year showcased one builder's fleet of FG models and his DH2 was outstanding.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
Ya, I agree with you on the prop, FG simplified my propeller. Your version is outstanding (I'll need to try it), although for a 1/72 scale model (which I build to), it would be difficult to do. I form a hub and attach the four props. You can see it at the FG site photos. I also like the heat shrunk wiring (I'll need to try that too). FYI: I use fly fishing Tippet size 8x (3 mil) and snug it for the glue up (all in 1/72 scale).
Looking forward to your finished DH2.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
I like the prop as well as the detailed engine. Great work. Looking forward to the finished model.