PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
SP-5B Marlin Jet modification question

When I was stationed at North Island San Diego half our squadron (VP-31) were the SP-5B. During that time they were experimenting with Jato takeoff's and later they even incorporated a jet engine in the tail. I remember watching it take off in the Bay just before they de-commissioned the plane altogether in 1968. Does anyone know where I can get a photo of that version before I get too old to remember anymore?

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I found one here I believe.

Third row down, Ken's Media - (member: 2446067) - on SodaHead

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
P5M Marlin Jet-Powered Assist

You will find detail here. I remember the P5M's parked on the North Island bone yard in the late 60's after Viet Nam and stateside duty.

If you have access to old magazines Air Classics did a nice article with photos -- but a long time ago. Also check Ginter's Navel Aircraft booklet series and Miller's Aerofax

Paul
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Airliners.net has seven photos. Here's one of them:

Photos: Martin SP-5B Marlin Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
What a fascinating story, and very ingenious to improve performance in this way! The drawing included in the article shows only a general arrangement, I wonder how the engineering elements were designed to take up the 3000 lbs thrust and lead it into the aircraft structure. Did they add rods and beams or was it done with sheet metal constructions? Anybody an idea?
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
When I was stationed at North Island San Diego half our squadron (VP-31) were the SP-5B. During that time they were experimenting with Jato takeoff's and later they even incorporated a jet engine in the tail. I remember watching it take off in the Bay just before they de-commissioned the plane altogether in 1968. Does anyone know where I can get a photo of that version before I get too old to remember anymore?
Ahoy
My best suggestion is to check out the internet I am quite certain you will get the straight dope on the JATO rockets used. I use to see them all the time on north Island before they were stricken from the naval register........... Below is a picture of my P5M Marlin I built this from blue foam board and cardstock.... The color schedule is that of VP-45 Sangley Point Caviti Phillipines. Market time Vietnam 1968.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
SP-5B Marlin Jet modification question-pict0003.jpg   SP-5B Marlin Jet modification question-pict0005.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Knife, Not finding the jet in this page maybe I am missing it. The pictures I see are of the P-5 with a turret cover.

Decktape, great job on your model.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
My best suggestion is to check out the internet I am quite certain you will get the straight dope on the JATO rockets used. I use to see them all the time on north Island before they were stricken from the naval register........... Below is a picture of my P5M Marlin I built this from blue foam board and cardstock.... The color schedule is that of VP-45 Sangley Point Caviti Phillipines. Market time Vietnam 1968.

Boats
Boats

It's been a while since you posted. Are you building, or taking a break for life's other needs?

Isaac
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
What a fascinating story, and very ingenious to improve performance in this way! The drawing included in the article shows only a general arrangement, I wonder how the engineering elements were designed to take up the 3000 lbs thrust and lead it into the aircraft structure. Did they add rods and beams or was it done with sheet metal constructions? Anybody an idea?
The engine was mounted in the space vacant from removing the tailgun assembly and rear gunner equipment. Additional mounts for engine were bolted to inner existing bulkheads. I believe 2 flush openings in the fuselage were cut to serve as intakes. After several test flights, a scoop was mounted on fuselage top. North Island is a major overhaul facility to this day. It was not difficult then to do this mod. Despite the promise of this mod, which I would have continued with, NAVAIR saw differently and put their money on the P-3. Marlins were gone by the end of 1968.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy

Boats
Great job on the P5M! Would be nice if there was detailed paper/card model of this aircraft that gave the option of making a -1 or -2. 1/48 or 1/33???

Again - nice model.
Google Adsense