PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
When you made the joiner strips, did you use the heavy card or lighter paper like 20#?
I use relatively inexpensive HP photo paper for my models. I used scrap pieces of same for the joiner strips.

I'm thinking I may punt on the Skyrocket for awhile; it's not going to meet my expectations right now. I may try the Oddball D-558-1 Skystreak or NASA T-38.

Les (THe Voice of Authority)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Do you compare your results with the pictures from the beta by Bob Martin? How far are your results from these pictures?

Douglas-Skyrocket | Aircraft |

Because I think the models has a nice overall design and the shape is great but the seams are noticeable.

Regards
Alcides
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
Do you compare your results with the pictures from the beta by Bob Martin? How far are your results from these pictures?
At least his fuselage sections match. Mine didn't.

I admit I'm picky about my models. The Skyrocket will (eventually) be on the shelf with rather decently built plastic models of the X-1, X-3, X-5 and X-15. Nothing fancy, just built desktop-style. But I want my card models to be worthy of my plastic efforts.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Not to completely rag on FG (I started there myself..) but to compare any FG model with a pla$tic model would be unfair to FG, they just aren't designed to that level of complexity. Granted, FG may be the only producer to have the Skyrocket you're looking for, but unless you are in the mood for some heavy modifying it may not look as good as you want.

That being said... I'm taking a break from more complicated models to do exactly that: mod the heck out of OBP's A-37 at 1/33 so I can play around with the simple construction and add details to make it up to par of the rest of my models.. Your call
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
When printing, are you enlarging or reducing?
If so, make sure the print output of each page is exactly the same.
Even if you are not changing size, make sure you don't have "print to page", "fit to page", etc options chosen.
Choose to print "as in document"...no scaling.

I see that model only uses four sections for the fuselage
(not including nosecone and anything at the tailend)

Just like I said earlier, fewer sections mean exagerrated angles at each seam
and (as can be seen in the white build photos) a certain degree of misalignment.

Looks like a nice model to me, but as always, not Halinski quality.

I also noted this comment umtutsut...
Quote:
I use relatively inexpensive HP photo paper for my models.
I used scrap pieces of same for the joiner strips.
You would have much better results with some plain white cardstock,
no more than 65lb....which is about .23mm thickness.
Photo papers are usually much heavier and thicker (at least .3mm)
and they are quite resistant to curving and forming.
That paper is also way to thick for joiner strips!

Switch papers, and I guaranty a big improvement.
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
You would have much better results with some plain white cardstock, no more than 65lb....which is about .23mm thickness. Photo papers are usually much heavier and thicker (at least .3mm) and they are quite resistant to curving and forming. That paper is also way to thick for joiner strips!

Switch papers, and I guaranty a big improvement.
Actually, I've found exactly the opposite, Dave. This isn't the "thick" stuff, some of which I also have. The HP photo paper I use is thin and very malleable. I switched to it after building my first couple models with cardstock.

The photo paper also has the advantage of yielding a gloss/semi-gloss finish more appropriate to launch vehicles and X-planes than a flat finish.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
No idea, Les. But I doubt you're doing something wrong. I've not had problems completing any FG project - though I don't expect Noteboom-quality joints between cylindrical sections. If you leave the tabs you'll get lap joints and visible edges. If you cut them off and use internal joiner strips they usually fit pretty well. I cut on the outer edge of the lines for FG, usually use the designed tabs, and color the exposed edges. Biggest problem can be attaching wings if they are separate (I usually add a box spar through the fuselage) or molding fairings (compound curves that seem to need to be edge glued in place).
I looked at the Skyrocket II (NACA version) and I don't see anything too different. If the problem is fit between fuselage sections (conic/cylinder) I'd recommend taking the cut parts before curving and roll the mating edges against each other flat on your mat (no slippage) to ensure they are the same length along the curves. Mark any difference then when you've checked each mating edge, mark off half the overage on each side of the larger part(s). Connect your marks on both ends of each piece (or the corner if no correction) and trim a new edge. This should preserve the shape of the part while ensuring you'll get matching edges. Assemble the cylinders/conics with joiner strips down the length to make sure you preserve the dimension, then put the parts together with joiner strips at the ends.
The only remaining problem would be graphics alignment (can be an issue with older FG designs). I've had consistent success with a variety of designs trimming parts this way - if needed.
Yogi
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Sorry to go a little off subject, but looking through the FG skyrocket article, I was intrigued. Can any one name the ringed aircraft? I've not seen that one before. It's kinda cute.

And secondly ... is the Blackhawk Skyrocket still available? Now that I do like a lot.

Johnny.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
It is the X-4 Bantam: Northrop X-4 Bantam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scaldis has a model of it: http://www.scaldismodelclub.nl/pagina29.html, scale 1/24.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Cheers Legion ... Interesting little plane. And a Paper kit available too ...I've added it to my shopping list.

Interesting that it's compared to the DH Swallow. Another beauty that I remember seeing at Farnborough as a kid.

Johnny.
Google Adsense