PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi

I've had a nagging urge to build a Ki-115 Tsurugi (saber) in 1/72 scale for quite some time. I bought a copy of the printed Modelik kit a year or so ago, but it has a lot more detail than needed for 1/72. I wasn't sure how well the silvered ink would scan, either, and I didn't want to cut the book up to find out. As far as I know, the only other paper Ki-115 is the free Paper Tiger Armaments version that's been available for nearly 10 years now, and has its limitations. I decided to play around with that kit to see if I could make an updated model suitable for display. It's not a precise replica of the Tsurugi, but it's close enough.

Unfortunately, the file was low res (72 dpi), and any lines that weren't perfectly vertical or horizontal were stepped and choppy, so the first thing that had to be done was to redraw all the lines in a higher resolution. The roundels were replaced with new ones pulled from the interweb, centered on a larger green circle to match some of the photos and illustrations of the airplane. The PTA model comes with a full canopy, but I wasn't able to find any photos or illustrations of a Ki-115 configured that way. So, using the kit canopy as a starting point, I redrew it into a 2 part affair, which created a need for a cockpit. I resized an old Maly Yak-3 cockpit and cut an opening in the top of the fuselage to accept it. The kit's low res engine disc was pretty rough, so I downloaded a head-on image of a 16 cylinder radial engine, and sized it to fit in the Ki-115 cowl. It's a Curtiss engine, but in this scale I don't think it matters much. The spinner covers most of it anyway. I fashioned wing fairings from card stock, trimming a little at a time until satisfied with the way they looked. I used the kit landing gear, strengthening it with a 3rd layer of card. Actually, landing gear is a misnomer. This airplane was a kamikaze weapon and was never intended to land - the gear was jettisoned after takeoff via exploding bolts. The kit wheels looked too wide to me, so I thinned them down a smidge. The rear gear is a simple skid fashioned from card stock.

That's about it. It's not a super accurate or detailed model of a Ki-115, but the viewer can tell what it's supposed to be, and it doesn't look half bad. I'm happy enough with it.

The photos are a little better than usual. Weird. I wonder how that happened?
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115a_zps45114a59.jpg   1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115b_zps5cd827e2.jpg   1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115d_zps0d3a21a7.jpg   1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115e_zps51429c51.jpg   1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115f_zps7b823f0d.jpg  

1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115c_zps1baa9d22.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Nice job Don and yes, it look's like a Tsurugi. Really congrats on your kit bashing. You can be happy with the result.

I know is late but you have a very good Tsurugi model availabe from Marek:
1/50 Ki-115 Tsurugi Paper Model

Regards
Alcides
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Alcides. Dang, Marek's model does look nice, and the price is right. I wasn't aware it existed. I should have poked around a bit more I guess, although I did enjoy the challenge that the PTA Tsurugi offered. The only real disappointment I have with my model is that that big airscoop on the right side is placed too high.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another project to be proud of. I think you got the most out of Cliff's kit.

Your model certainly captures the look of the Tsurugi.

Don
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Another state-of-art model! Great Don!
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
...As far as I know, the only other paper Ki-115 is the free Paper Tiger Armaments version that's been available for nearly 10 years now, and has its limitations...
Ahem...
Ki-115 Tsurugi
It's the same design as Modelik, but already in electronic format easy to scale down. It also has B&W version to be printed on silver card.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Well that's two Tsurugis that I didn't know about. Apparently "As far as I know..." doesn't extend too far . I've gotta get out more.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Very nice job. The original aircraft was not very "detailed" itself, because of the disposable nature of its use.... as you mentioned. Your improvements have made a big difference!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks again everyone for your comments and observations. I thought I'd add a final couple of shots of the Ki-115 on its paper base. This was a fun build, but now it's time to move on to the next project.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115g.jpg   1/72 Ki-115 Tsurugi-ki115h.jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Don,

You did a fantastic job with the scaling down. Very impressive build.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense