PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I must be dense this morning (and my Japanese is pretty rudimentary - something I hope to begin improving this fall), but I can't decode the message.

Divine wind (神風) is kamikaze. The characters can also be pronounced "jin" or "shin" and "fu" or "pu," but my Big Kenkyusha, as we called Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary when I was studying Japanese as an undergraduate in the late 50s, gives no other pronunciation.

Ten thousand years is 万歳 man-nen or, more popularly, banzai.

Based on this, the best I can come up with is that you are designing an aircraft used by the Special Attack units (特別攻撃隊 - tokubetsu kōgeki tai) also called "Kamikaze units." Any airplane could be used for suicide attacks, but the ones specially designed for Special Attack were the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka and the Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi. There were a couple of others, like the rocket powered Mizuno Shinryu and the pulse-jet V-1-like Kawanishi Baika. But, unless I am on a completely wrong track, I would guess the new airplane will be a Mitsubishi G4M2e (or a Yokosuka P1Y1 or a Nakajima G8N) carrying a MXY-7.

Don
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Nice try and great explanation.
Perhaps you are looking too far.
I only meant the references to Kamikaze and Banzaï

Both Ohka and Tsurugi are already in my catalog somewhere, and I still need to finish the Toryu. Looking good as can be seen in this proof of concept build.
Attached Thumbnails
One model per (non-working) day-p1210899.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-p1210901.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
my Japanese is pretty rudimentary - something I hope to begin improving this fall

Don
My Japanese is even more rudimentary. I can only say things like (and not even write in Hiragana or katakana)
"O moshiroi desu ne!" as are your very instructive comments.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
so desu ka, shugoi!!!

(transliterated phonetically into Spanish)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
A little off topic

lose translation:

Bruno: "O moshiroi desu ne!"
Me: "so desu ka, shugoi"

Buno: Very interesting, isn't it
Me: I think so, amazing

ps other useful phrases in Japanese:

Watashi wa wireandpaper desu = I am Wire and paper

tearai wa dokodesu ka = where is the restroom

Watashi wa totemo sabishī = I am very lonely
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
...Both Ohka and Tsurugi are already in my catalog somewhere...

Ohka - 194
Tsurugi - 355 and 356
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Roger copy, Ron. I admit I was in a hurry this morning and didn't check the inventory. Have a great Navy Day!

I hate to extend this diversion, but I must add a couple additional comments.

Bruno: Thanks for the explanation. Even if I got it wrong, it was fun speculating, and it gave me a little Japanese practice. I doubt I will improve my Japanese much, but next month, I begin studying Japanese formally at Dickinson College. We'll see.

I could read most of Bruno's and wireandpaper's phrases, and have now added totemo sabishī to my small store of Japanese.

In that regard, I remember when I was first studying Japanese in 1958 and we were doing free conversation using the small vocabulary that we had learned so far. The five of us (two freshman who had previously lived in Japan, two doctoral students who had to take a non-Indo-European language, and me) went around the room making up simple sentences. "My friend is Japanese." Where is the railway station?" And so on. After a couple of rounds, I panicked and blurted out, Watashi no tomodatchi wa teisha-ba desu. ("My friend is a railway station.")

Looking forward to the Dragonslayer, and thanks for the Japanese practice, which reminds me of the days when Trotskiy was active and I felt constrained to try to translate the captions of all of his models as they appeared. Every time I checked Trotskiy's site and saw a new airplane, I couldn't help myself. I would automatically grab my notebook and Japanese dictionaries and begin to decode the captions. Lil used to say that she dreaded the day that a new Trotskiy would appear on the morning in which I had a lecture scheduled for which I was still preparing. She said that would end my teaching career in disgrace!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
One model per (non-working) day-bruno_100_kawanishi_j6k1_jinpu_desk_overview_190804a.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-bruno_100_kawanishi_j6k1_jinpu_desk_overview_190804b.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
....and I still need to finish the Toryu. Looking good as can be seen in this proof of concept build.
Looking VERY good from here.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
I received an email from Bruno on Friday when I was at work asking if I would be interested in test building his new Aichi B7A2 model. I was surprised and honored that he had sent me the model. When I got home from work I did a quick repaint and separated the engine cowling to open up the cowl flaps. I did really rush but everything fit perfect. So, here is Bruno's Aichi B7A2. I do plan on putting a torpedo on it but wanted to post asap.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
One model per (non-working) day-grace4.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-grace1.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-grace2.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-grace3.jpg   One model per (non-working) day-grace.jpg  

Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
very fine repaint, please send to ecards

Tags
hornet, policía federal