PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-23-2024, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Fly Model Me-410

Here is a new attempt. I believe this one is hand drawn so it should have a few challenges. I think the hand painting is a bit odd so I'll be priming and painting this beast with an airbrush. If it all works, it'll be a nice size and a cool airplane I've always wanted to model. Plus, after the Vimy, a little break from rigging is in order! It's all butt joints which are not my favorite. However, so far so good with rather nice alignment. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Stay tuned...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Model Me-410-1.jpg   Fly Model Me-410-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2024, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Best wishes on this model. It appears to have been designed by Leszek Lewandowski. I am not familiar enough with his work to predict ease of assembly.

At least it's not a Wasiak designed model......who I am not a particular fan of.

Greg
Old 01-24-2024, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Interesting aircraft! Good luck with this one Dan. The camo scheme looks like someone got inspired by the measles, but then in a different color setting..... I'm all eyes and ears to follow this one.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 01-24-2024, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Looking forward to your work on this one, Dan. Good luck with the hand drawn kit.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 01-26-2024, 12:08 AM

Thanks, Everyone. So far, it is going pretty darn well, I must say.

I just started getting more of the nose started and added some formers that make up the chin. I haven't decided if I'll add the huge cannon out front...sort of ruins the sinister lines. I'll decide later.

Anyway, all fits adequately and I haven't built any huge twists or turns into it. Cutting the formers that do the "butting" at the same time by sandwiching two pieces of balsa appears to be paying dividends.

Keep sending positive vibes!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Model Me-410-p1030418.jpg   Fly Model Me-410-p1030419.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2024, 12:01 AM

Got this far today. I think I'll start the wing, see if it fits under the center section and then add the nose and nose underside. At least test fit some stuff. So far, no huge issues and my joints actually look pretty good. Only a bit of miss-match here and there but nothing to make it un-buildable at all.

More soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Model Me-410-p1030420.jpg  
Old 01-28-2024, 06:23 PM

Started roughing in the wing spars and ribs. In the past, this is where things go pear-shaped for me once I try skinning with too few internal structures. Not sure how I will proceed, but it all looks nice on the body. Lines up well too.

While the spars/ribs are glued, the attachment to the fuselage slot is just being tested. No glue until I try and skin!

Stay tuned...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Model Me-410-p1030421.jpg   Fly Model Me-410-p1030422.jpg  
Old 01-28-2024, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Good to see another build Dan, whatever method works well for you to make the seams smooth then I say go for it. I like that you have to think a bit with paper models to "engineer" some things, makes it fun. I'll be watching from the wings so to speak.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Looking good Dan. For the wings, given the few formers which makes the structure rather flimsy I would suggest that you laminate them on the inside with regular print paper or slightly thicker paper. That will certainly shape the skins better. But you have to shape the wings while the glue hasn't dried (hardened) yet. It takes more time though as you also need to sandpaper the wing profiles a bit further to consider the increased thickness of the wings. The end result will pay off the extra work.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 02-03-2024, 11:15 PM

Thanks Glen and Erik.

Erik: As you will see below, I did add some extra interior to help strengthen the spindly wings. I made two extra ribs, filled in areas between ribs, added a balsa wing tip and finally, a 3/32nd inch square leading edge (balsa) that was all sanded and smoothed. It's just like making a balsa and tissue rubber powered model.

Skinning went ok with only a little miss match but things will still get tweaked and, of course, painted too!

Here it is mocked up attached to the fuse as a first attempt. I think it's going to work out alright.

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Model Me-410-p1030423.jpg   Fly Model Me-410-p1030424.jpg  
Google Adsense